BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Led lights for trailer Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:59 am

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
Hi all,
I now have a classic motorcycle trailer, I have read many posts on here about converting the bike and trailer bulbs to led style, resistors diode and cutting number 7 pin!!!! Cause the normal wiring will not take the draw that the extra trailer lights need.
My thoughts are, what if I just change the trailer lights to led as they don't draw much of a current. 
Anyone have any ideas??? Will this work??
Cheers Gary

1991 K100rs16v

2Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:19 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Gary , I never got round to converting mine over to LED , but Rick G suggested it was a much better option for trailers. 
I always found the standard bulbs a bit dull. Hope it goes well for you .

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Led lights for trailer 10_x_110

3Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:59 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have LEDs on my camper and they work fine with the blinker unit as it is. I cant remember where I got them or the brand but they are the typical about 170mm x 80mm with red stop/tail and orange blinkers.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:12 am

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks GroverK and RickG
I will find the equivalent led bulbs on eBay , then fit the tow bar and then connect the wiring...........then "I will be back" to ask more questions probably. But when it's all done I will be able to get on and off my K cause all the gear will be in the black matching trailer not on the seat where it stops me throwing my leg over. Woohoo

1991 K100rs16v

5Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:38 am

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
ive swapped from filament to led on the trailer and can only recommend the same , no troubles and much more visible .

http://www.airware.com.au

6Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Trailer struts Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:48 am

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
thanks beanoldboy, ordered them thru eBay last nite, I know I am in the electrical area, and there might be a place to ask in the forum somewhere, but does anyone know the length of the struts and psi of the struts that hold the lid up on a 2004 ultra lite trailer, mine measures 500mm and have minus 20psi in them, they are old and the sticker with the details is faded, not sure they are original as the nuts on them are too big and loose and starting to wear the rubber seal, hope new nuts come with the new ones. 
 cheers Gary

1991 K100rs16v

7Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:25 am

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
Classic Industries still make em, they are selling up so phone soon, and their website has specs and contact details .

Last edited by beanoldboy on Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : learning to spellering)

http://www.airware.com.au

8Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Classic ind Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:03 am

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
Yes classic ind, just got a new set of mud flaps from them. Did a bit of searching and found some info on trailers! interesting reading Rick, thanks Gary

1991 K100rs16v

9Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:05 am

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
Hi Bean or anyone else that can help, bought these off eBay but they don't work like the old filament style, they are bright but there is minimal difference in the brightness when the brake light is on, tried swapping the wires around but that did not help, Gary

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191216472025?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1991 K100rs16v

10Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:06 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I've tried using the LED's to replace the normal bulbs and found the same thing as you.

There wasn't much difference between the "brilliance" of the tail light and the brake light.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

11Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:27 am

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
I have gone back to using the "old" style bulbs and they work well, but the brake light is not working off the front brake switch, if I press the rear brake lever it lights up the bike and trailer brake light, maybe the switch is dirty or faulty, oh and if I disconnect the trailer the front brake still does not activate the brake light, (think I just answered my own question) does anyone use led for the brake/Parker ?????

1991 K100rs16v

12Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:40 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yeah amazing isn't it ....seems the problem is, that there are so many of them that the "slightly on"  is still  pretty bright ...  some times the size of the leds (or section of leds )  creates the optical illusion of brightness  regardless of the actual energy consumed ..or the Chinese have just got it wrong again ..

I think some time ago we looked at installing leds to the rear stop light ...as additional light ....from memory avenger did some with smaller leds  say 5 mm  rather than 10 mm ...and slightly further apart ...but higher led count ....it occurred to me at the time that it is hard  to differentiate any high brightness leds amplitude of light output (brightness )  once they strike ...there are however lower powered leds  that do appear to emulate the incandescent globe output at lower outputs ..I haven't seen many that are in production that do this ....what I do see is that they use far fewer elements of leds to differentiate  running lights (parkers )  to stop light function ...say on a matrix of 5 x 5 leds   they use the outer rows of leds to indicate running ...and the full matrix for stop indication .

that would be pretty hard to emulate in a ba type light source ....globe

keep at it garry ...don't give up ...leds are the way to go ...but dropin replacements are sometimes very unpredictable

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:11 am

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
It is amazing but a bit of a worry, I would not like to follow a trailer with these led lights fitted, begs the question are these LEDs I have legal to be used on a road.

1991 K100rs16v

14Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:26 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
no ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

15Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:33 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
You didnt change to LED lights, you just changed the bulbs.  I have full LED lights on my trailer, they work brilliantly, plenty of difference between the tail and the stop as well.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Led lights for trailer K-dogs10

16Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:53 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
It depends on what you buy. A lot of these combined tail light/brake light units have a resistor in them to reduce power for the 'tail light' function. Hit the brakes and the resistor is bypassed. There's a minimal difference in brightness and as a result, nearly useless.

For those units that are built into bayonet caps (ordinary bulb fittings), you can get them with different numbers of LEDs built in, from nine to twenty-four.  If you were to fit a nine-led bulb to the tail light and a twenty-four led unit to the brake light (they won't fit K tail lights but...), you'd get a distinct and noticable difference.

LED bulbs seems to be the answer to blown bulbs but they're not. They are very definately not vibration proof, whereas tungsten filaments have been designed to work in high-vibration environments (okay, so maybe not quite so high as produced by some older British bikes). IMO, LEDs as a vehicle lighting technology are maturing - some high-end European cars come with them as standard - but as a replacement for motorcycle lighting, not by a long way yet.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

17Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:18 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I got tired of stuffing about with LED bulbs and splashed out for the real thing Tail/stop/indicator in one sealed unit and have not had to do a fix in years.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

18Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:26 am

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
AL-58 wrote:You didnt change to LED lights, you just changed the bulbs.  I have full LED lights on my trailer, they work brilliantly, plenty of difference between the tail and the stop as well.

Al
Yes I thought the cheapest way was to replace the globes with led bulbs,  but maybe I should have gone the full led lights on the trailer, but the bank is a bit sad after the trailer.

1991 K100rs16v

19Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:39 am

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
RicK G wrote:I got tired of stuffing about with LED bulbs and splashed out for the real thing Tail/stop/indicator in one sealed unit and have not had to do a fix in years.
Thanks Rick, will start lookin on eBay, do your led lights illuminate the rego plate or do you have a seperate light.

1991 K100rs16v

20Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:50 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Garyk100 wrote:
RicK G wrote:I got tired of stuffing about with LED bulbs and splashed out for the real thing Tail/stop/indicator in one sealed unit and have not had to do a fix in years.
Thanks Rick, will start lookin on eBay, do your led lights illuminate the rego plate or do you have a seperate light.
No I needed a special light for that.

21Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:10 pm

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:
Garyk100 wrote:
No I needed a special light for that.
Many of the LED tail light units have number plate lighting incorporated, but that also assumes the number plate is suitably located in relation to the light, which isn't always feasible.

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

22Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:42 pm

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
Thank you to everyone who replied to my post, will PayPal/eBay some LEDs (the complete unit no more bulbs) Cheers Gary:beer:

1991 K100rs16v

23Back to top Go down   Led lights for trailer Empty Re: Led lights for trailer Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
You could try installing a resistor in series with the positive feed to the tail light. A bit of experimentation with different values should give you enough of a difference between tail and stop light brightness. 
As Charlie says I added LEDs to both sides of the tail light unit on my bike, and they are very effective. There is a marked difference between tail and brake light brightness which doesn't show up very well in the photographs, but is very noticeable in reality. Post 256 in Charlie's thread.

https://www.k100-forum.com/t1833p250-85-rt-resto-my-attempt-hey-im-not-into-making-a-show-bike

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum