BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bikernut

bikernut
I am fitting an aftermarket Tachometer to my 95 K1100RS and the instructions the tach came with say to 'simply' hook the RPM signal wire up to it. The needle does not even move when I did that. Found a part solution online with an earlier model K100 using a capacitor 10nF 630v and a 100K ohm 0.5w resistor is used in series. 
Tried to copy this for my bike and now the needle works but jumps and jerks around 4-5000rpm. The speedo is one of these
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/12000RPM-LCD-Digital-Odometer-Speedometer-Tachometer-For-Motorcycle-Scooter-New-/171837204331

Any suggestions would be helpful thanks??

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Have you tried the solution where you wrap 6-8 windings of wire around the #1 spark plug and hook that to the tach input?

bikernut

bikernut
robmack wrote:Have you tried the solution where you wrap 6-8 windings of wire around the #1 spark plug and hook that to the tach input?
Thanks for the info. I tried that solution but the needle was a bit intermittent so I played around with the original solution using resistors and capacitors and I think I might have cracked it but I had to set the speedo to running on 2 cylinders. Seems to be ok but the bike is not road worthy yet so just testing in the garage Smile....

Basic2

Basic2
Platinum member
Platinum member
The 2 cylinder setting would be right.  The engine uses a wasted spark design with each cylinder sparking on the ignition stroke and the exhaust stroke.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum