BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Sat May 29, 2010 8:52 am

rog5150

rog5150
Guys, Does anyone know if i can fit a exhaust from a 8V K100 to a 16V K100?
are the headers the same?
I appreciate the mountings for the silencer/muffler won't be the same.
Main reason is to lose the cat and possibly change the muffler to a more modern style? NOT louder!

Last edited by rog5150 on Sat May 29, 2010 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : got on my high horse and thought better of it!)

2Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Sat May 29, 2010 9:00 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
It should be physically possible, but I don't know how it will affect the performance of the engine.
Is the 8V muffler creating the same back pressure as the 16V?
I don't have any answer.

3Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Sat May 29, 2010 9:35 am

rog5150

rog5150
It's the headers I'm unsure of. The spaceing, diameter and mounting method.
My exhaust is a later design, but does that mean better design, the large bulge for the cat makes me think its clean but not neccessarily as efficient?
Its a 'project' bike, a toy, so i only want to buy another exhaust and 'mess' with it! But good to know the header will at least fit!

4Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:23 pm

Simon

Isn't there an Oxygen sensor on the 16valve exhaust which presumably feeds a signal to the Motronic engine control unit... (8-valve bikes had Jetronic, different animal) Perhaps physical fit isn't the only issue to consider?

5Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:39 pm

CBRacerX

CBRacerX
How about the alternative? Putting a 16v exhaust on an 8v engine?

6Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:48 pm

Get a Motad from the UK, cheap enough (Motorworks UK has the best price I've found) yet NOT loud, but more 'burbly' than stock, and looks good with its round canister, reminiscent of the 16V style of exhaust. As for the 02 sensor hole if attempting to mount a 16V exhaust canister, just screw an appropriately threaded bung into the hole. An oil drain plug from an Oilhead works a charm. There should be one cheap enough on eBay or somesuch. The cylinder head to header gaskets are the same part number for both 8V & 16V bikes so the headers should/could be the same size. It's a one-piece exhaust affair too. Have you picked one (16V) up lately? Bloody heavy piece of metal. In fact, except for the actual mount which attaches to the left hand side foot peg bracket the mufflers from both bikes use the same mounting hole size spacing so either mount, as needed, will work to fit enable a clean swap between muffler types. There really are precious few 'modern' exhaust systems made for the old bricks any more.

8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Motad_10
The business end of the Motad as fitted to my 11/86 K100RS 8V. The only 'issue' I can say I've had with it is that they didn't leave anywhere near enough room on the inside where the centre stand comes up to meet the muffler and it has to be clearanced a smidge to fit and fully retract, a minor nuisance.

7Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:15 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Well not exactly true - some of us are determined to get up to date equipment for our Kays - even if that means getting out there and developing products ourselves!

Having been through the shock absorber development [ RAM ] and then Power Plug Leads - I've moved on to exhausts. To be truthful, this has been ongoing for 12 months now - partially because of suitable road testing under all conditions and also because I am retired and things have to progress more slowly! This has become a bit of a mission - ie to get quality components at a REASONABLE price.

Coincidentally I am off to Keihan's tomorrow to finalise and sign off the pre-production units so they can be put into production. They will be marketed through Realm Engineering [ RAM branded ].

Here's a pic of an early prototype - it hasn't been linished and polished as the production units.

The idea I had behind this style is that if and when the silencer requires replacement, you don't have to buy the whole unit AND you can fit the can of your choice.

I got Keihan to jig up the downpipes, so that the system can be used on K1100's as well.
8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? SONAVON007

8Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:20 am

Precious.

9Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:33 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
At least you didn't say precocious. Laughing Laughing

BTW - the issue of the stand / exhaust interference - I noticed that on a couple of the bikes we tested that the side stand pivot was slightly worn allowing the stand to contact the exhaust. We overcame this by adding a hard rubber buffer mounted on a bracket with the system. Real cure is obviously to repair the stand !!! Rolling Eyes

Here's a pic of the prototype Race Rep system [ underseat ] - no stand interference problems here !
8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? SONAVON004

10Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Hi beachcomber. Something else to go on my wish list for this winter. Looking at the system that you intend to produce, am I right in thinking that its more of an 'extractor' exhaust rather than the original 'collector' type? Do you expect any power gain and will panniers and stands fit with it?
Important bit. Any idea of price?

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

11Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:11 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Hi John,
haven't had the system on a dyno - but certainly everyone who has used it agrees there is more mid-range grunt.

Without going to a lot of trouble [ and expense ] - not to mention the space it would take up - a true extractor is not practicable. We have tried to improve the design a little over OEM. Cool

As with most of my little missions, the brief was to get a high quality item at a reasonable cost. In this instance I also looked at the practicality of splitting the collector from the silencer, so that parts could be changed individually. That also means that when the can eventually needs changing, you have a very wide [ and thus cost effective ] choice. For instance - although the can shown is a one of Keihan's off the shelf jobbies - I have a rather nice Scorpion Carbon can which I bought [s/h] for £25 !! The unit would have been much cheaper had we gone for a one piece silencer with 4 connector tubes.

Cost? Hopefully that will be finalised at the meeting today - HOWEVER we are talking Keihan quality Stainless Steel [ industry leaders with their Airhead stuff ] and they won't compromise on their normal quality. I do expect it to be more expensive than the Motad unit, but much cheaper than Remus and ................... Laughing

One of the things that added to the development time was that I had no panniers etc. on my bike, so we had to wait for a suitable donkey [ sorry Andy ! ] to fit and trial.

We made certain that everything fitted and cleared on a standard bike with panniers - that's when we discovered the wear / interference problem on the sidestand.

I'll post up some pix after the weekend of the polished production item - as Ernie Wise used to say - "you can't see the join" [ welds anyway!]

12Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:10 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi all, I've asked about this previously,............... if anyone knows the whereabouts of a dual system for a K100, I'd like to know. I'm really interested in fitting up something totally different and Bert posted a pic previously of a red K with a dual pipe sytem, looked pretty swish I reckon.
Cheeers, Dennis

13Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:52 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
If it's just for the look, you can always install a fake exhaust on the right side.
This could be a good place to store the tent poles when going camping!

14Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:43 am

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/alotz/portfolio/

15Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:38 pm

That'd probably flow like hundred year old plumbing...
8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Nico_b10
Nico Bakker Exhaust

16Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:17 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Nikko Bakker should know better .......................... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

17Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:19 am

CBRacerX

CBRacerX

"The K-10016V/K-1100 exhuast will bolt right on to an old K-100. I've seen several done this way. Supposedly they flow the bestand there is no heat shield to buzz. You will need the K-10016V center stand bracket which has a mounting point for that exhaust, or I imagine you could drill and tap the original center stand bracket. This exhaust will also open enough room to permit the fittment of a K-1100RS rear wheel and a 160/60R18 rear tire on the early monolever rear swingarm. I saw just such a bike today for sale at the PartsHaus in Long Beach CA and the tire and wheel just fit. Nothing rubs. Very nice. "

Good info, as I bought a 16v Remus on eBay and intend to try fitting it to my 85. Wish me luck! I had no idea this would allow a larger rear tire...

18Back to top Go down   8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Empty Re: 8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:58 am

Erman

Erman
Gold member
Gold member
Knowing this thread was created 2+ years ago, I'll dare to ask, has this design of yours seen the light of day, and if so, where can I get one?

beachcomber wrote:At least you didn't say precocious. Laughing Laughing

BTW - the issue of the stand / exhaust interference - I noticed that on a couple of the bikes we tested that the side stand pivot was slightly worn allowing the stand to contact the exhaust. We overcame this by adding a hard rubber buffer mounted on a bracket with the system. Real cure is obviously to repair the stand !!! Rolling Eyes

Here's a pic of the prototype Race Rep system [ underseat ] - no stand interference problems here !
8valve exhaust on a 16V motor? SONAVON004

1984 BMW K1000RS

1984 Yamaha XJ750 Seca

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum