BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jacod

Jacod
So a while ago I put one of those cheap ebay speedometers on my K100. I've done a few 100kms since then and is has been working well. However, I still hadn't bothered / managed to get the neutral light, or the GPI to work until now. 

I wanted to get the GPI, Neutral light, and no clutch start to work but I didnt want to mess around adding another circuit. I did consider doing the multiple relay trick to get the no clutch start to work, but I really wanted to get the GPI to work too. 

I'm lucky enough to have access to a 3D printer and I'd been meaning to grease the driveshaft splines and swing arm bearings for some time. So I decided to pull the back end off and redesign the TGPI switch while I was at it. My design is much the same as the original, however, I designed it to have 6 terminals; one for each gear (inc Neutral) and a centre terminal. Rather than the 3 terminal multiple combo thing the original had. 

I 3D printed the new rotational switch with 6 terminals carefully measured and spaced. I 3D printed a new cap for it too, as the old one was stuffed and fell to pieces in my hand when I was taking it off. I then cut some small pieces of copper to size and soldered a wire to the back of each one. I drilled holes for each wire to go through up into the cap. Glued the cap on and wires in place before assembling it all back together and testing it out. 

After refitting the modded switch and ensuring it worked, I wired it up to a eight pin quick connector for easy removal. 

An alternative way to get the Gear Position Indicator to work on an aftermarket speedo  Img_2011
An alternative way to get the Gear Position Indicator to work on an aftermarket speedo  Img_2010
An alternative way to get the Gear Position Indicator to work on an aftermarket speedo  Screen12
An alternative way to get the Gear Position Indicator to work on an aftermarket speedo  Screen11

To get the neutral start to work I just wired up a small relay as pictured below.

I'm pretty stoked with the result I tested it all and it works amazingly. Better than I had hoped. 
I guess every one has their own way of doing things. 
Now everything on my ebay speedo works, and other than the bulb monitor and clock I don't think I'm really missing any of the original functionality. 

An alternative way to get the Gear Position Indicator to work on an aftermarket speedo  Img_2012

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great work !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Brilliant!!  Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
A modified R1100 neutral switch is the easiest way to go. It took 1/2 an hour!

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Jacod

Jacod
Not quite the same. My solution gave me both neutral start and gear position indications.

7Back to top Go down   An alternative way to get the Gear Position Indicator to work on an aftermarket speedo  Empty @ Jacod Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:36 pm

KevinGuy

KevinGuy
I like your solution best. I need to grease my spline and from what I've read here expect to find the original switch in bad shape anyway so solving the decoding problem at the source makes sense. 

How is it holding up under use? Do you have schematics to use with a 3D printer, my buddy has access to one. 

Or, better yet, any chance of making one for sale?

KevinGuy

KevinGuy
Motorbike Mike wrote:A modified R1100 neutral switch is the easiest way to go. It took 1/2 an hour
How does this mod work? Is it written up somewhere? Would this give gear indication as well as neutral start?

Jacod

Jacod
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2042596

The files for this are here

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum