BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   What am I forgetting?!? No fuel Pump Empty What am I forgetting?!? No fuel Pump Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:23 pm

TurboBrick

TurboBrick
Hi everyone. The Turbo Brick is back from paint and is all one color again but upon reassembly I went to fire it up but the fuel pump is inop. I did a quick check with the test light and I'm getting no power to the + wire at the pump or at the connector. Side note the fuel gauge works fine. What am I forgetting here. This has to be something stupid. Everything worked fine a week ago.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
8 or 16 V they are different in the pump region but both get a signal from the ignition to keep it going. The K100 will run for 1.5 sec after the start button is released and always when the button is down and the 16v when the key is turned on the pump will run for 1.5 sec.  Result is that when just sitting with the key on the pump doesn't have power until the start button is pressed. Connect power to the pump using the connector plug (NOT INSIDE THE TANK.....BOOM!) that will prove the pump and check all the fuses as those blade ones do go open circuit without having blown, better still just replace them and future proof them.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

TurboBrick

TurboBrick
Which wire on the plug is the one that is for the fuel pump? And my bike is a 91' 16v

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
TurboBrick wrote:Which wire on the plug is the one that is for the fuel pump? And my bike is a 91' 16v
Green/white is 12V+ for fuel pump

Brown is ground

White is low fuel lamp

Yellow is fuel gauge

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

TurboBrick

TurboBrick
Strange enough it works fine now. I took it apart and put it back together. There is no telling. Thank you for the help though. As a reward I'll post pictures of the bikes new paint job later on! It looks awesome!

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
TurboBrick wrote:Strange enough it works fine now. I took it apart and put it back together. There is no telling. Thank you for the help though. As a reward I'll post pictures of the bikes new paint job later on! It looks awesome!
That all points to having had a dodgy electrical connection, either at the pump or (more likely) the 4 pin connector behind the  side cover to the rear of the fuel tank. By pulling it apart and reassembling, you probably scraped a little crud/corrosion off the contacts and improved your electrical connection. A can of DeOxit is a good thing to have to hand when looking into K bike electrics.

Good result!

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum