BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   coolant leak Empty coolant leak Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:13 pm

WoodyAUK75

WoodyAUK75
Silver member
Silver member
I have a leak at the hose from the filler, where it meets the radiator. I replaced this hose about 18mths ago, due to a groove from the tank, and to be honest, the clamp felt like it could have been tighter. I also noticed a residue around the overflow cap. Is there anything I should be looking for that would cause pressure in that area specifically? The filler cap seems to have some sort of gauze filter in it which is filthy, but I can't see how to get it apart, and is it worth boiling the thermostat to see if it opens?

Woody, 1993 K75s.

2Back to top Go down   coolant leak Empty Re: coolant leak Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:18 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check out the hose for damage and if it appears OK put it back and tighten the clamps well. If you need a hose there will be a few here.
Check out the filler cap under the tank to be sure it seals and keeps the pressure because they sometimes operate above 100°C and so will boil if the cap does not seal and with summer on the horizon, Charlie had heaps of trouble with a non sealing cap, led him a merry chase.
coolant leak 259495

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   coolant leak Empty Re: coolant leak Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:26 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
....and if the cap is not sealing then it could be dribbling down the side of the hose to the radiator, making it look like its leaking from the lower connection.
You can get a replacement washer for the radiator cap.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 coolant leak Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

4Back to top Go down   coolant leak Empty Re: coolant leak Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:35 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
If your cooling system is running hot and has mineral deposits you might want to do a good flush and while you're at it, you might also want to clean out the fins of the radiator.  I had problems with my K100RS puking out coolant on hot days.  After I removed 25 years of bugs and dirt from the radiator and the minerals from the bad water the previous owner used the overheating and coolant loss stopped.

While I haven't done it on any of my bricks, it is possible to boil the thermostat in white vinegar to clean up the minerals.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Sponsored content