BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Greeting from Norway Empty Greeting from Norway Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:21 am

k100_norway

k100_norway
Mandatory to present myself..
I am a 55 year young man from the middle of Norway and i just bought a K100RS 1986 model. the bike is in good condition, with 165000 km on the meter but there are som issues and i thougt this forum woul be at good help.
I work with my hands and do most of the work on the bikes myself.
Like blues, beer and a good movie when i am not riding.

2Back to top Go down   Greeting from Norway Empty Re: Greeting from Norway Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
WelKome from Australia. Ask as many questions as you want and we will answer them all. Greeting from Norway 177912

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Greeting from Norway Empty Re: Greeting from Norway Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:55 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
WelKome!

At those kms it's still got plenty of life left in it.

You came to the right place to help you maintain it.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Greeting from Norway Empty Re: Greeting from Norway Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Welcome, k100_norway, to the most gentlemanly K forum on the interwebtrons. Here you'll find all manner of savoury and unsavoury characters, some of whom can offer sound advice, some who will, some who won't, and possibly even some who shouldn't*. Did I just write that out loud?!

I'm reminded of a favourite radio station when I lived in the NE of the USA many years ago. Their slogan was "Some songs you like, some songs you don't."
Greeting from Norway 652573

*tongue planted firmly in cheek.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

k100_norway

k100_norway
I have a problem with the neutral light an gear display. The lamp is always green and the LCD shows only a dot. i have checked the contact on the right side, under the side cover and tried to make contact between two of the wires whil running, the engine stops, as it should do, so it does when i put it in gear with the side stand down. I am puzzeling with the thoug of dismantling the dashboard to see if it is the connection behind it thas is troubling me. Are the display broken i have to replace it, anyone?  Greeting from Norway 652573

6Back to top Go down   Greeting from Norway Empty Re: Greeting from Norway Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:56 am

Markosaurus

Markosaurus
Welcome to the forum.  Plenty to do here.

7Back to top Go down   Greeting from Norway Empty Re: Greeting from Norway Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:02 am

Brickler

Brickler
You have some seriously awesome roads around there, and the scenery…!  cheers

8Back to top Go down   Greeting from Norway Empty Re: Greeting from Norway Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:28 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
k100_norway wrote:I have a problem with the neutral light an gear display. The lamp is always green and the LCD shows only a dot. i have checked the contact on the right side, under the side cover and tried to make contact between two of the wires whil running, the engine stops, as it should do, so it does when i put it in gear with the side stand down. I am puzzeling with the thoug of dismantling the dashboard to see if it is the connection behind it thas is troubling me. Are the display broken i have to replace it, anyone?  Greeting from Norway 652573

Hjertelig velkommen K100-norway.  It's probably not your instrument cluster, rather it is probably the gear indicator switch on the transmission.  Try to disconnect the switch from the cluster (the connector is found on the right side of the frame, just below the battery cover, probably tie-wrapped to the lower frame).  You can follow the lead to where it emerges from below the battery; then you know it is the right connector.  The neutral light should extinguish and the LCD will probably still show only a dot.  It sounds like the display is toast (gone bad).  I've designed a LED replacement but its still in the prototype stage.

9Back to top Go down   Greeting from Norway Empty Re: Greeting from Norway Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:48 pm

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
WelKome, k100_norway.

I spent 2 weeks in Norway recently and it is indeed a beautiful place. I even travelled not far from you when we were near Trondheim, going to Hell and back. On 4 wheels, not 2, sadly.

Robmack is very likely correct about the problem being the switch on the back of the transmission. 
Fortunately, with care they are usually easily dismantled, cleaned and reassembled. Make sure you seal it well, as the original seal breaking up and letting water in is likely the cause of the problem.
The bad/good news is that the switch is difficult/impossible to get to without removing the swing arm that carries the drive shaft. The good part of that is that while its apart is a good time to check and lubricate the drive shaft spline - always a good thing to do when you get a K bike.

Enjoy the ride.

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum