BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Speedometer Cable Empty Speedometer Cable Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:30 pm

tjh1985

tjh1985
Silver member
Silver member
Hey Everyone,

So the 85’ K100RT cut-uo to Cafe Racer i recebtly bought didnt come with any gauges (maybe the previous owner thought not knowing how much gas you have left or not having an answer for the police officer when he asks you, “do you inow how fast you were going?” wasnt important stuff to have on the bike). I purchased a speedometer & tachometer and mounted them, but cant locate a speedometer cabke to screw into the back of the actual guage. Can anyone helo me figure out where i shoukd be looking and maybe a pic of exactly what im looking for?

So appreciiate the help,

Thomas

PS - ive only run out of gas once and officially not received a speeding ticket...so far anyway

http://www.thomashurst.com

2Back to top Go down   Speedometer Cable Empty Re: Speedometer Cable Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:25 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Your '85 K (the apostrophe goes before the number you're abbreviating, just like a contraction of two words or when you're taking away letters, or numbers like the 19) and all Ks, use an electronic speedometre. The pickup or sensor is on the final drive, the black plastic doohickey held in by one single allen head screw with a two wire plug that should sit right hand side on the frame rail going up from the gearbox.

Every speedo has a specific ratio, even generic versions. Did the people who sold you the unit enquire as to your fitment requirements? Connecting the tacho is an effort, too. I applaud your efforts in righting a previous error, best to check the depth of the pool before diving in.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

3Back to top Go down   Speedometer Cable Empty Re: Speedometer Cable Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
tjh1985 wrote: . . . didnt come with any gauges (maybe the previous owner thought not knowing how much gas you have left or not having an answer for the police officer when he asks you . . .
What is more likely to have happened is that the previous owner discovered that adapting an aftermarket speedometer to the K-bike electronic system was no plug-and-play picnic.

There are adapters made to aid the task. Do a search on the site for threads discussing BEP. Here are some of them. Also, this thread discusses commonly purchased, less costly speedometers and their needs.

Post photos of your speedometer and its instructions.

4Back to top Go down   Speedometer Cable Empty Re: Speedometer Cable Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:41 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Also be aware that the speedometer sensor in the final drive is actually a variable reluctance transducer. Short story, it's incompatible with the vast majority of aftermarket speedometers available on the market and, to make it usable, you'd need an amplifier circuit to condition the signal.

5Back to top Go down   Speedometer Cable Empty So what you're saying is... Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:55 am

tjh1985

tjh1985
Silver member
Silver member
...given my insane mechanical skills and deep knowledge of all things K100, I'll be without gauges.

In all seriousness, thank you for letting me know the extent of this endeavor and I will look into the advice and links shared to determine what I can realistically do.

Thomas

http://www.thomashurst.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum