BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Swapping Complete engine & Gearbox Empty Swapping Complete engine & Gearbox on Mon May 27, 2019 10:37 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Hi all,

There is a BMW club member in the UK (Scotland) who want's to change the engine & gearbox that is in his 1998 K100RS (2 valve). The donor bike is also a 1998 K100RS (2 valve).

Is there anyone out there who has done this and can pass on any hints and tips to do the job. I will be sending him both a BWM workshop manual and a Clymer manual.

I have some gearbox guide pins for him, and if needed BMW tool 26 1 660 for swing arm fixed bearing.

He is planning to take the opportunity to lube the clutch and rear drive splines.

I know the manuals will be detailed, however it's always better to hear from those who have had the practical experience, and may have shortcuts.

The reason for the change: The original engine has covered 170,000 miles and has just made some nasty noises (from his description it sounds like clutch/input shaft splines).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

2Back to top Go down   Swapping Complete engine & Gearbox Empty Re: Swapping Complete engine & Gearbox on Mon May 27, 2019 4:03 pm

chris846

chris846
Life time member
Life time member
Tip No.1
Tell him to join the forum and post some pics!

The rest is easy  Smile

Actually, my tip for starters is/are A: support the swingarm when the shock is removed - or you risk trapping and damaging the front bellows between swingarm and gearbox. B: Cable tie the clutch release arm to the gearbox when you remove the clutch cable - otherwise the spring inside the clutch release bellows will overextend and probably tear the bellows.

3Back to top Go down   Swapping Complete engine & Gearbox Empty Re: Swapping Complete engine & Gearbox on Mon May 27, 2019 4:38 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
A: It won't damage the boot at the front of the swing arm but the boot may slip off of the transmission.

When I built my K75 Frankenbrick I started with the motor sitting on blocks of wood. I put some additional support under the valve cover as the engines are a bit lopsided when sitting on the oil sump and like to tip over. I laid the wiring harness and relay box on the top of the motor before installing the frame.

Swapping Complete engine & Gearbox LRsBiWU

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Swapping Complete engine & Gearbox Empty Re: Swapping Complete engine & Gearbox on Mon May 27, 2019 7:49 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
That's a good start chaps, thanks.

I will encourage him to join the forum, as I said I would be asking on here for opinions.

O.K. soh wat about the initial strip down - pitfalls and all.

Thanks 

Mike

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum