BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   help """""""""" K 100 LT 1988 Empty help """""""""" K 100 LT 1988 Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:02 am

wsiddins

wsiddins
I noticed fuel in exhaust and was advised to do a compression test. Did test and found compression
in cylinders 1 2 3 to be excellent. however cylinder 4 has no compression.
Can someone advise me what to do next as will have to do it myself.
Much appreciated. Wes,  affraid

2Back to top Go down   help """""""""" K 100 LT 1988 Empty Re: help """""""""" K 100 LT 1988 Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:53 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Customarily, oil is sprayed into the cylinder and the test is repeated to determine if compression rises but a zero reading is a serious defect. Are you using a gauge that screws into the spark plug hole? Please describe exactly how you conducted the test—warm or cold engine, wide open or closed throttle, etc.. What were the readings of 1, 2 and 3? Were there any noises from the engine when it was running that encouraged you to do this test?

After a compression test, a leak down test can serve to help locate the cause.

3Back to top Go down   help """""""""" K 100 LT 1988 Empty Re: help """""""""" K 100 LT 1988 Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:15 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
How did the valve clearances add up, could be a burnt valve?

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

4Back to top Go down   help """""""""" K 100 LT 1988 Empty compression Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:36 am

wsiddins

wsiddins
Got to a point when bike was running rough and foul in exhaust was excessive. After talking to friend I
swapped leads on coil and plugs 1 and 4 and established 4 was no longer firing. As I have removed leads from
coils and plugs and taken off fuel tank test done on cold motor. Tester was screwed into plug holes.
All reading at 112 psi. I did put oil in number 4 and made no difference, just a wirring noise.
I'm not a mechanic however I can follow direction well and am very persisant. How do I do the test you are talking
about. I really don't want to remove motor from bike. Enclosed is link for 2 docs.
Cheers, Wes. affraid
gauge.pdf
side.pdf

5Back to top Go down   help """""""""" K 100 LT 1988 Empty Re: help """""""""" K 100 LT 1988 Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:46 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
This might be the time to do valve clearance checks as K75cster mentioned. You'll need some go-no go feeler gauges. The outcome might tell us more.

Watch this video a few times then give it a go and post the results here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFkPnLVkxWQ

6Back to top Go down   help """""""""" K 100 LT 1988 Empty Re: help """""""""" K 100 LT 1988 Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:53 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Did you hold the throttle wide open during each test?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum