BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Headstock bearing  Empty Headstock bearing Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:47 am

dakelvinator

dakelvinator
Silver member
Silver member
Hi I have a 1992 K1100LT with 46k miles on the clock, I think the head stock bearing needs replacement or adjustment at least! Their is play in it and if i go over a bump or speed hump it sounds painful! It it possible to DIY? I have done clutch and splines to give an idea of my skill level Smile . Is this hardship to do? Thanks K.

2Back to top Go down   Headstock bearing  Empty Re: Headstock bearing Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:21 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Page 32.13 in the BMW shop manual.

You can download the manual here:
http://bit.ly/new2kbikes

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   Headstock bearing  Empty Re: Headstock bearing Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:46 am

dakelvinator

dakelvinator
Silver member
Silver member
duck wrote:Page 32.13 in the BMW shop manual.

You can download the manual here:
http://bit.ly/new2kbikes
Thanks Duck, some bed time reading! k.

4Back to top Go down   Headstock bearing  Empty Re: Headstock bearing Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:58 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Use 22 mm copper pipe as the spacer ring (item 3), the length I do not know, you can measure it, also suggest sitting on  the bike off the stand on tarmac and rock it back and forward with the front brake held on will indicate the extent of play.
Hope this helps. Headstock bearing  112350

92 K 1100 LT  6455097 (gone)

5Back to top Go down   Headstock bearing  Empty Re: Headstock bearing Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:35 am

dakelvinator

dakelvinator
Silver member
Silver member
walfish wrote:Use 22 mm copper pipe as the spacer ring (item 3), the length I do not know, you can measure it, also suggest sitting on  the bike off the stand on tarmac and rock it back and forward with the front brake held on will indicate the extent of play.
Hope this helps. Headstock bearing  112350
Thanks - Yep defiantly got plenty of play in it!  Rolling Eyes

6Back to top Go down   Headstock bearing  Empty Re: Headstock bearing Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:09 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
If the head bearings have been slack for any length of time, the constant pounding can/will cause brinelling of the bearing cup. This can lead to the bars almost self centring. This can be felt as a slight reluctance to minor handlebar movements about the centre when slow speed riding (e.g. filtering), which can be disturbing.

Mike

7Back to top Go down   Headstock bearing  Empty Re: Headstock bearing Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:08 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
You can also detect if the steering head bearings are "notched" in the center if you jack up the front end and turn the handlebars from side to side.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

8Back to top Go down   Headstock bearing  Empty Re: Headstock bearing Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:19 pm

dakelvinator

dakelvinator
Silver member
Silver member
mike d wrote:If the head bearings have been slack for any length of time, the constant pounding can/will cause brinelling of the bearing cup. This can lead to the bars almost self centring. This can be felt as a slight reluctance to minor handlebar movements about the centre when slow speed riding (e.g. filtering), which can be disturbing.

Mike
Thankfully its not this bad yet i am hoping to get away with just an adjustment scratch k.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum