BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   best place to get valve shims Empty best place to get valve shims Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:53 am

lechicho55

lechicho55
i am looking to adjust the valve shims on my 85 rs and am looking where to get a set of shims hopefully that don't cost too much.  I am supposed to be on a budget but that isn't going so well.  I appreciate any help.

2Back to top Go down   best place to get valve shims Empty Re: best place to get valve shims Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:06 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Then Kawasaki 29mm shims are the same from Z900, Z1000, Z1300, KLR 650. Yamaha have 29mm shims that are used in the old 1100cc 4s among others don't use them as they could spit them out through the cover and bust the head.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   best place to get valve shims Empty Re: best place to get valve shims Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:18 am

Poupy

Poupy
Silver member
Silver member
The "parts needed" section of this forum is probably an excellent place. Very Happy

The key element is to determine which shims you actually need. The ball is in your court!

How many spacings are off limits on your bike? Are you equipped to remove/refit/displace the shims without dismantling the camshafts?

4Back to top Go down   best place to get valve shims Empty Re: best place to get valve shims Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:58 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
What thicknesses do you need?  I might have them.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

5Back to top Go down   best place to get valve shims Empty Re: best place to get valve shims Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:11 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
lechicho55 wrote:i am looking to adjust the valve shims on my 85 rs and am looking where to get a set of shims . . .
You don't buy a set; you just buy the size you need to bring each out-of-specification valve clearance into spec. This is good news! Post the sizes you believe you need. I have a couple of spares I could send you by USPS, gratis.

When you have calculated what you need, try this outfit for Kawasaki shims.

6Back to top Go down   best place to get valve shims Empty Valve Shims Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:24 am

redrockmania

redrockmania
Silver member
Silver member
Have just removed my shims and placed an order for replacements. I followed a tip on a Youtube video clip which helped removal of the shim once the shim bucket was depressed. The surface pressure of oil between the base of the shim and the bucket holds the shim quite tightly in place. I followed the video clip tip and used compressed air from a air blow gun directed at the outer rim of the bucket which broke the stickiness of the oil and released the shim. Many will know the trick, but some will not - hope it helps.

7Back to top Go down   best place to get valve shims Empty Re: best place to get valve shims Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:02 pm

lechicho55

lechicho55
Laitch wrote:
lechicho55 wrote:i am looking to adjust the valve shims on my 85 rs and am looking where to get a set of shims . . .
You don't buy a set; you just buy the size you need to bring each out-of-specification valve clearance into spec. This is good news! Post the sizes you believe you need. I have a couple of spares I could send you by USPS, gratis.

When you have calculated what you need, try this outfit for Kawasaki shims.
I will do this when I get this calculated.  P.s it might take me a while, lol

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum