BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Trouble with temp sensor Empty Trouble with temp sensor Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:39 am

Gauntlett

Gauntlett
Silver member
Silver member
Hi everyone, I'm in need of some assistance , fan was working and now not. Checked the readings at the fan controller box both lives working, swapped control unit no change, resistance readings appeared to be ok at first but now seam to be sporadic more often open circuit, have now accessed the sensor and disconnected the wiring plug, when checking resistance from brass body to either pin strange readings and then open circuit, am I correct in assuming there should be resistance (2000oms approx.) or am I not checking it properly.

2Back to top Go down   Trouble with temp sensor Empty Re: Trouble with temp sensor Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:54 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Correct resistance is 2500 ohms at room temperature.

Does the fan motor turn when you push on the blades?  The stock fans are prone to seizing and melted brush holders.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Trouble with temp sensor Empty Re: Trouble with temp sensor Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:27 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Fitting a over ride switch is a worthwhile modification. It gives you the opportunity to exercise the fan and test that it is functioning.
Regards Martin.

4Back to top Go down   Trouble with temp sensor Empty Re: Trouble with temp sensor Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:10 pm

Gauntlett

Gauntlett
Silver member
Silver member
ok guys here's where I am now, sensor off the bike at first open circuit between body and pins, some serious pin cleaning and now both pins read 1780 ohms (15 degrees C in garage), does this mean its knackered. Why in the tech notes does it tell you to test between fan controller plug pins E and nine, not E and 31(ground) as with ign on pin 9 is 12v live, im not great with electrics but have some knowledge as you can tell. Connecting 15 and A2 the fan does run. desperately need help

5Back to top Go down   Trouble with temp sensor Empty Re: Trouble with temp sensor Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:36 pm

Gauntlett

Gauntlett
Silver member
Silver member
Cup of very hot water from kettle so maybe 90-70 degrees 700-800 ohms

Last edited by Gauntlett on Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum