BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Not Powering Up Sat May 26, 2018 12:06 am

Laitch

Life time member
Life time member
GregC wrote:Even though an old thread I found it really informative and useful for chasing a fault on my K100.
Why don't you share the tale of your chase here, Greg, and tell us where it led you? It might inspire somebody to avoid setting a match to a stubborn K for insurance purposes.

52Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Helped stop chasing a red herring Sat May 26, 2018 1:47 am

GregC

GregC
I recently found some corrosion in tank, so removed it for repair. While tank was off i decided to fit a VDO fuel gauge . I wired the the gauge into the part of the harness that goes to the fuel sender:  Green 12v, Brown ground, yellow sender, white low fuel light. Anyway with ignition on the gauge   would not operate and there was no longer 12v on green!

So the value  in this thread was the knowledge that the fuel pump does not have power all the time ignition is on , hence lack of 12v on green was not actually a fault!

53Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Not Powering Up Sat May 26, 2018 4:12 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
GregC wrote:While tank was off i decided to fit a VDO fuel gauge . I wired the the gauge into the part of the harness that goes to the fuel sender: 

Bit late but...under the tank you find a own connector for the fuel gauge.

Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Kontak12

54Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Not Powering Up Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Inge K. wrote:
GregC wrote:While tank was off i decided to fit a VDO fuel gauge . I wired the the gauge into the part of the harness that goes to the fuel sender: 

Is that connector on all wirring looms ? 
I would like a better gauge on mine than just the lights on the dash 
Plus a water temp gauge

55Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Not Powering Up Sun May 27, 2018 4:58 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Matthew-Brisbane wrote: Is that connector on all wirring looms ? 
Plus a water temp gauge

All is present exept for the wire to the water temp sensor.
If have the OEM gauges in mind, it's also a intermediate wiring needed.

If you have a -83 -85 model the connector looks a bit different, and it
haven't any connector for the fuel level gauge as a different sensor is used.

56Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty not too late Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 am

GregC

GregC
Matthew-Brisbane wrote:Have now used that connector, thanks for ID'ing it.

Inge K. wrote:

Is that connector on all wirring looms ? 
Plus a water temp gauge

57Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Not Powering Up Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:10 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Greg, depends on the age of the bike and its equipment. The early bikes had a standpipe with two sensors, which doesn't allow fitting a fuel gauge. Younger models with a float in the tank should allow that. Put your bike details in your signature and we can respond better :-).

Cheers, Rene

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

58Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Not Powering Up Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:01 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Bite your tongue Laitch, have you been associating with the Dark Side ( HOG). No Brickian should ever suggest doing an insurance job on a poor unsuspecting Brick. Shame shame shame. Now go forth and repent your sins and consider resurrecting a poor neglected one. Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 161205 Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 167893
Regards a shocked Martin.

59Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Not Powering Up Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote: Now go forth and repent your sins and consider resurrecting a poor neglected one.
Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Il_57010

Been there; done that; got the T-shirt and when it turned out to be a V-neck, I backslid immediately and it was repossessed.

60Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Not Powering Up Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:38 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I'm with you on the "V" necked "T" shirts. Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 797640 I'll leave the wearing of those to my better half.
Regards Martin.

61Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Not Powering Up Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:29 am

MarcS

MarcS
Silver member
Silver member
I wonder if the OP ever got his bike to run?????

62Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty 84 k100 fuel pump Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:09 pm

rayban1

rayban1
Hello all..this seemed like a good place to ask about no start problem
Starter works but I dont think the pump is working. I have 10.9 v at wht/grn and brn wires on the pump plug when I push starter, but I dont hear the pump turning. Does that mean the pump is bad or could it be another problem ?

63Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Not Powering Up Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:42 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
The 4 pin connector from the tank to the harness is a frequent culprit in pump running problems.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

64Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Not Powering Up Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:33 pm

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
rayban1 wrote:Hello all..this seemed like a good place to ask about no start problem
Starter works but I dont think the pump is working. I have 10.9 v at wht/grn and brn wires on the pump plug when I push starter, but I dont hear the pump turning. Does that mean the pump is bad or could it be another problem ?
Can I suggest that a new thread is a better place to start? Tagging on to an old thread, even with a similar problem, can result in losing track. Smile

As point seven five said, ensuring good continuity at the 4 pin connector is a good first step.

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

65Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Not Powering Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Pump Not Powering Up Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:12 pm

rayban1

rayban1
Ok Indian ... thanks..... Ill try that !

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum