BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Tranny & rear end lube seepage Empty Tranny & rear end lube seepage Fri May 14, 2021 10:53 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
I finally am working on my list of todo's for RED my main ride for many years that has 165,000 mi/265,541Km on it. So I changed the tranny and rear end lubes. After a couple of short rides <100mi. I find that there is  a slight film of lube on the bottom of the drain plugs. Not enough to form a drip but enough to get dirty. As I don't remember if I've ever checked before at this distance was wondering if this is normal. The crush rings looked good and the drain plugs are in tight. And as nearly as I could tell the tranny/rear end lube levels were good, i.e. no leaks in the past and current levels are as called for.

thanks.
J.

2Back to top Go down   Tranny & rear end lube seepage Empty Re: Tranny & rear end lube seepage Fri May 14, 2021 11:24 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote: So I changed the tranny and rear end lubes. . . . I find that there is a slight film of lube on the bottom of the drain plugs.. .  . enough to get dirty.. . . was wondering if this is normal
That hasn't occurred with my Brick. Transmission and rear drive oil has been changed at the beginning of every season for the last nine years.

3Back to top Go down   Tranny & rear end lube seepage Empty Re: Tranny & rear end lube seepage Sat May 15, 2021 2:56 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Replace the crush washer, eventually due to multiple uses they harden loose their ability to seal. I use the slight misting as a sign to replace engine, gearbox and final drive crush washers.
Regards Martin.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum