BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Trike update. Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:38 am

Barnie68

Barnie68
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20353094/11]Trike update.  5f575a10Trike update.  6e4d3a10[/url]Latest pictures of my trike build. 
Just need prob sorted and it would go down the road. 
Barnie 68

2Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:03 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Where's the subframe clamped under the engine?

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:54 pm

Barnie68

Barnie68
Bolted a plate on under where the swinging arm.
I have just got home from a very long week then all weekend at my mates so i will post pictures tomorrow as it might anyone else wanting to build one.
We still got more frame to build but the foundations look nice and strong
Cheers .
Barnie68

4Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:05 pm

Barnie68

Barnie68
Just looked at my pictures the mounting plate one under the engine some how aint on my phone i will post when i get it either from him or when i am next up there
😎

5Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty K 100 trike Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:13 pm

Barnie68

Barnie68
Hi all. 
we are hearing different information. 
Does anyone know if we cut standard frame down to make it in to a single seat ( bobber style )
I know it all has to be bolted so if needed you can turn it back to a bike. 
But does the frame have to be put back as a standard bike ?
Its a bit confusing as you can chop up a bike without problems with dvla so it don't seam right that you can not do it with a trike

6Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:14 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Post moved from Forum Functionality to Your Own Customisation/Renovation.

Barnie68, please do not start a new thread for the same topic/subject, each time. Subjects merged. 

You're making me have to spend time on the forum when I should be present at the family picnic in the shade by the cool river on a sunny Summer day, jeez.  Rolling Eyes

7Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:07 pm

Barnie68

Barnie68
Consider my self educated.
I thought i was posting different questions and i am also struggling to work how to post never mind in the wrong section.
SORRY TO ALL I HAVE OFFENDED IN MY POST. 
i have not been on for a while due to dealing with my PTSD which was coming out as anger to people who were just being normal people. 
I hopefully now am a better person and am finally starting my PTSD therapy in the next couple of weeks. I have done other courses while waiting for this one to start. 
Fingers crossed that out of those of you who I have offended can forgive my bad behaviour. 
Again apologises.   
Barnie68

Last edited by Barnie68 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total

8Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:47 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Bearnie68:
Sorry for the bad feelings. The main goal of this forum is to be friendly and help each others.
However, posting in the right area is very important as if we search for something it helps to find the relevant subject.
Not everybody is computer savvy and we understand this.
The administrator just try to steer you in the right direction and you should not take it as an offense.

9Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:32 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bearnie, On this forum iv been Moved, Adjusted, advised, and educated by people i don't know haven't met and most likely never will with their own style of   REPLY. and never  felt offended in any way, Having read the posts i cant for the life of me see what upset you.

Had you said you felt offended that would have been OK by me BUT to go GUTTER MOUTH. is not acceptable IMHO. I wish you well and every success with your project. At 76 yr old and over 60 yrs of motorcycling i feel qualified to say on this occasion BEARNIE YOUR WRONG.

10Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Trike Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:57 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Barnie, 

I'm thinking this is just a simple misunderstanding.
Because we're communicating only with words, it's easy for a post to be interpreted in a number of different ways. This is a good reminder that body language and stuff like that's plays a lot bigger role than we assume. I try hard to write in a way that can't be seen as offensive, but I'm not good at it. I'm sure if we were all in a room together you would not have felt offended.

Hopefully this is just seen as a blip and you show us the progress with your bike.

11Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:47 pm

Dan Pete

Dan Pete
Silver member
Silver member
Hey, Barnie
I only joins this forum yesterday, so I to am learning, and the layout here is not the easiest. I’m in the US. And speak, read, write and think in the Americanized version on English. I noticed not everyone here does. The first thing I saw two wheels say about “wrong place” , I agree he did not word it too well. I too, would not be ok with someone talking to me in person that way it sounded. But since I have seen that two wheels is a friendly and helpful kinda guy, I just chalked it up as a difference in writing style.
For example, I find your writing very had to follow; but as I am interested in your trike build, the burden of understanding is on me!
Cut two wheels a little slack, and remember, I doubt he meant to talk down to you, and I’m sure it’s just a difference in writing style.

12Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:33 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Yeah, wasn't trying to piss in anyone's Wheaties in the slightest. I had to re-read my words to see what the fuss was about. A simple forum moderator's request was made followed by a bit of humour (which I agree could have been interpreted incorrectly). It says less about me and more about those who would choose to go off like a rocket at the slightest provocation. I agree that nasty words are best kept in a person's head. I stand firm from my perspective. We are done here with this subject now, I reckon.

13Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:29 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
I wonder what that independent suspension is off. rear wheel drive or front wheel drive? And is there going to be more tying that rear to the bikes frame. So far the logical places have been hooked up but the rear still seams to be "yet to be attached" from what I see. Barnie what front end are you going to run, car wheel or bike wheel??

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

tbinns

tbinns
Can you please post more pictures of the trike and how you connected the rear end to the bike frame?   I am starting with a E46 rear end off of a BMW car.  It has the same gearing as the original rear end.  I am in the planning phase and working out the geometry.   At the moment the big decision is to narrow it or leave it wide.  I have measured a couple Goldwing Trikes and I would be about 6 inches wider.    Have you changed the rake and trail for the front end?

Please post more pictures and any decisions you are making that may help someone else doing the same thing.

Todd

15Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:49 pm

Barnie68

Barnie68
Hi sorry I have not been on for a while.
I have not been well and have put my build off for a while.
Here is a picture of what we have done so far.
I am staying wide as my wheelchair will be on the back.
I am using a BMW E38 axel.
I hope these are helpful.
Good luck.
Barnie68
Trike update.  7d567c10Trike update.  43a7a410Trike update.  43a7a410Trike update.  43a7a410

16Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Trike Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:21 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Good luck with your build and your health issues. There's a sense of satisfaction doing your own build and it'll be a good feeling when you get to ride your brick, that's gotta be good for your health too. That's what I say to the cagers who want me to sell me brick saying its too dangerous. Sometimes they say it after butting out a ciggy, and I'll go, we both deserve a medal for putting our lives on the line.

17Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:48 am

Barnie68

Barnie68
Thanks Daveyson,
My thinking is if you don’t try you may as well be content so sit on your sofa waiting on the grim reaper.
Don’t nothing is way more dangerous than something that you love.
I am already planing my expedition of tour all over Scotland next year when mine is complete.
I hope you have all the good health and sport to carry on doing what you want to do while hopefully silencing the “ Oh that’s too dangerous mob”
Good luck and happy riding.
Barnie
😎

18Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:08 am

Barnie68

Barnie68
Hi two wheels I am very sorry for the way I took your advice.
I am not making excuses for my bad reaction. 
I have been on various mental health courses in the fight to beat the demons that took over my head when I got disabled in a shit op. 
Hopefully you will accept my sincere apologies. 
I have edited my original post. 
Hopefully that old me has been dealt with.  
I am about to start the main part of my PTSD THERAPY and I can get closure on something that has cost me lots of family, friends and even my 29 year relationship. 
Hopefully we can move forward not sure where you are in the world but if I ever meet you the beers are on me. 
Stay safe
Barnie
😎
Two Wheels Better wrote:Yeah, wasn't trying to piss in anyone's Wheaties in the slightest. I had to re-read my words to see what the fuss was about. A simple forum moderator's request was made followed by a bit of humour (which I agree could have been interpreted incorrectly). It says less about me and more about those who would choose to go off like a rocket at the slightest provocation. I agree that nasty words are best kept in a person's head. I stand firm from my perspective. We are done here with this subject now, I reckon.

Barnie68

Barnie68
K75cster wrote:I wonder what that independent suspension is off. rear wheel drive or front wheel drive? And is there going to be more tying that rear to the bikes frame. So far the logical places have been hooked up but the rear still seams to be "yet to be attached" from what I see. Barnie what front end are you going to run, car wheel or bike wheel??

20Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:29 am

Barnie68

Barnie68
Hi K75.
The back end is bolted on and is well strong enough.
Not sure on the front end yet we are still dealing with the brakes and other necessary parts.
My mate is a very good engineer and we think home made leading links and triple tree forks set up.
Looking at possibility of using the original back tyre for the front end with reversed rotation.
Have been told that as it is not under acceleration forces it will not cause any issues.
But again that will be decided later in the year when we are doing our test rides before strip and final finish done.
Barnie
😎

21Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:07 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Barnie, #17/18 tells me you are already the better and bigger man than you were  cheers cheers :cheers:We have all lost the plot in life at one time or another, Sounds like your path is now in the right direction. As for the Grim Reaper he has been a close associate of mine for the past few years, but, the bugger can wait a while longer  Trike update.  723598 Trike update.  723598

22Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:00 am

Barnie68

Barnie68
Thanks Moriarti,
All I can do is apologise to the people I got angry at and then start to deal with where all that anger came from.
I have learnt that no matter what you do to fix things you can never change anyones opinion so you do what you can and move on to a better you.
As I said I will do Everything to stop my head going bad again.
Cheers for the kind comments.
You stay safe and as long as you have the heart the grim reaper will not get to you until your ready.
Ride safe
Barbie 68.

23Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:50 pm

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
Barnie

I wish you good luck with everything that's on your agenda

take care

;BMW;

Trike update.  9438-010

24Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:05 am

Barnie68

Barnie68
Thank you bad boy

25Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:57 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Barnie68 wrote:Hi K75.
The back end is bolted on and is well strong enough.
Not sure on the front end yet we are still dealing with the brakes and other necessary parts.
My mate is a very good engineer and we think home made leading links and triple tree forks set up.
Looking at possibility of using the original back tyre for the front end with reversed rotation.
Have been told that as it is not under acceleration forces it will not cause any issues.
But again that will be decided later in the year when we are doing our test rides before strip and final finish done.
Barnie
😎
Wow a single sided leading link. Yes a great plan and super easy for the front tyre change any time it's needed, just like the rears. hoping to see progress shots as they come available.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

26Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:12 am

Barnie68

Barnie68
Trike update.  E2354110

27Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:14 am

Barnie68

Barnie68
Trike update.  907e9510Trike update.  907e9510Trike update.  907e9510

28Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:26 am

Barnie68

Barnie68
This is what we tried. 
We were unhappy with the look of the blue stained wood. 
Could not get it uniform so had another look and decided we would try to go with a similar look to this truck back end. 
Health this year has slowed the build. Hopefully we will be back at it as soon as we can. 
Barnie68 wrote:Trike update.  E2354110

29Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:41 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
There ya are Barnie got rid of that for you. That is a very tasty chicken meal I must say (burp). Very Happy

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

30Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:15 am

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
love trikes and hope to build one one day (i have the back end and a spare k100) there are two trikes round here and they both have the same problem , gearing , the smaller car wheels ment the revs where quite high at 40/50mph , they both have reliant axels , the rear end i have to use is from a jowet with 19inch wheels , lets see if the diff holds up . best of luck

31Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:32 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Trike update.  65013312

Crazy Frog wrote:Bearnie68:
Sorry for the bad feelings. The main goal of this forum is to be friendly and help each others.
However, posting in the right area is very important as if we search for something it helps to find the relevant subject.
The administrator just try to steer you in the right direction and you should not take it as an offense.

Just to you get the drift.....Crazy Frog and myself one fine day in France in 2018.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

32Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:43 pm

Barnie68

Barnie68
firstle wrote:love trikes and hope to build one one day (i have the back end and a spare k100) there are two trikes round here and they both have the same problem , gearing , the smaller car wheels ment the revs where quite high at 40/50mph , they both have reliant axels , the rear end i have to use is from a jowet with 19inch wheels , lets see if the diff holds up . best of luck
Hi firstly, 
As you say it is all got to do with having the gear ratios right. 
I am using a 7 series axel (740i) and when I was looking at buying it I looked up both the ratios of the k100 engine and the ratios of the axel and as the numbers are pretty close together the gearing should not make that much of a difference. 
The gearing on the engine if I can remember was around 3.16 and the axel was around 2.98 or the other way round ( sorry if these figures are wrong or the wrong way round )
When I spoke to the guy selling the axel that’s what he told me. 
It does also depend on tires so I am not going out and getting the biggest fattest tires. 
I will be going with the standard 225/55 R16 tyre and alloy wheels that I also got off the same guy who sold me the axel. 
So fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞🤞
Someone else said something similar so either way is good either it will pull away quick and have a lower top end or it will pull slowly and have a fast top end. 
As I am disabled so my reactions are not what they were and the fact that a trike is for cruising I won’t be bothered about either blasting away off the lights or doing any silly speeds. 
I am going to be riding disabled for the first time ever and have not rode a bike since I got rid of my gsxr750 street fighter I think I will be that very nervous steady learner again. 
Thankfully this is not my first trike so know it is going to be hard enough with my damaged spinal cord never mind hanging off it on corners. 
I had a xs1100 with a xj6 backend and the ratios on that were well rubbish 1,2,3 great 4,5 useless. 
I will keep the group informed when I get round to getting it done. 
Sadly we were just about to start backend and get ready for the testing when my mate who is building with me called to say we have to go on hold as his work was sending him out to oz to start a big new job and we agreed his job always would come first when we started the build. 
Hopefully he will be back as soon as the plan was for on the road in June but sadly how long it is being delayed is just pure torcher. 
Good luck with your build please keep me informed. 
😎

33Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:56 pm

Barnie68

Barnie68
Crazy Frog wrote:Bearnie68:
Hi crazy. 
I think you are referring back to a time when my head and anger was out of control. 
I was diagnosed with having ptsd due to my spinal condition and anyone that said hello to me sadly got a mouthful off me. 
I am sure that I did apologise  to the many people I upset as I was stumbling for one fight to the next. 
I have no problem anyone educating me as my head is in a totally different place now. 
My head has gone back to the normal when I am being advised it is just that and not in-fact an attack to belittle me. 
As you can see after printing a very nice curry recipe earlier I still put things in the wrong section. 
It is a good job we bikers are a forgiving bunch of decent guys and one day we might even laugh about my rant to him over a beer. 
You have a good day mr frog. 
😎

34Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:58 pm

Barnie68

Barnie68
Rick G wrote:There ya are Barnie got rid of that for you. That is a very tasty chicken meal I must say (burp). Very Happy
Thanks very much Rick G I am a what they call in my native Scotland a “ dunderheid “ who needs supervised at all times. 
😎
Ps it is a rather nice curry by the way.

35Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:46 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Can confirm that the series-7 rear axle is said to be a good fit for the K100 engine. I went through that loop myself a few years back when I considered building a trike with an IRS and it always came back to the series-7. IIRC the Trike Shop in Rhymney said they use that axle for K100 trikes.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

36Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:57 pm

Barnie68

Barnie68
Hi dai.
We were not sure ourself until I looked on Google in the middle of the night when I was online looking for a bmw axel after I seen a picture of a bmw k-100 bike trike with a bmw wheels.
Thankfully because I seen that picture on here it got me to buy a good suitable axel for only £116 and 1/4 tank of diesel to get there then the two decent bmw alloys with legal tires for £50 off the axel seller. As an added bonus.
We were going to go with a ford seaira axel until I seen that pic as the ford axel is a better choice than the basic reliant axel.
They have independent suspension which my bad back needed.
Now we have got bmw with bmw with adjustable air suspension on a button to try combat the ride, the bumps and the potholes.
Cheers
😎

37Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon May 22, 2023 8:45 am

Barnie68

Barnie68
Morning everyone.
Just wanted to post a couple of pictures of where I am with my trike.
This weekend I managed to get a day where my mate who is helping me before he goes back to oz to work.
So managed to get the floor in and build the panels for the back. Have to be secured in place.
Ordered what we need so hopefully when he is next back we can finish that and get another bit done.
So coming along slowly.
We did try 3 board high but we then decided that looked too high.
I know this is not my trike group page but just wondering if any one has any thoughts.
Does two look to small ? Or would you build it higher?
I really am on the fence and can’t decide.Trike update.  Img_5810
Trike update.  Img_5811Trike update.  Img_5810
Trike update.  Img_5811

38Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon May 22, 2023 8:52 am

Barnie68

Barnie68
I finally post what to say and the exact photos I want to send and I post and think AT LAST I HAVE NOT MESSED IT UP !! 
Then I see my post and I have posted the two pictures twice 🤬

39Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Trike Mon May 22, 2023 9:08 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Good work Barnie.

I like two high. There's two trikes on my block, I've been thinking the last few weeks to post pics of them but it's still on the to-do list, unfortunately. Maybe I should put it on this thread for some inspiration.

40Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon May 22, 2023 9:18 am

Barnie68

Barnie68
Thanks Daveyson.
I did that walk away thing yesterday and I turned and looked at if for a couple of seconds and nothing massively wrong stood out so I was happy.
Which tells me my head thought what it seen looked normal so you got to go with that.
If you could send pictures of other ones in your street that could be helpful.

41Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon May 22, 2023 1:35 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Those photos look to me like you nailed it for the height of the box. 

If it were mine I would think about having a nice canvas cover made that could be tied down to enclose the box for damp weather.  It might need a couple bows to support the top.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

42Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon May 22, 2023 2:59 pm

Barnie68

Barnie68
Hi point-seven-five,
Thanks for your opinion.
It all helps to ease my head that it does look right in line with the size of the front end and riding position.
I have already got details of a company who can give me a pacific size of cover.
As the back size is slightly smaller than size of a normal sized pallet they do waterproof pallet covers that you use on stacked pallets.
They can be bought any size with holes for elastic rope to go thru then should be able to tie it down just like a trailer cover to rope hooks on the outside.
Hoping that it will fit over to keep it dry and if it need any adjustments my friend’s wife is a wiz with her sewing machine and will be able to fix it so that it does fit around the suspension or over what we do to try and hide the shocks and frame work of them that does stick out in between the outside of the box and the mudguards.
I also have a board with a gripped waterproof coving over it if any water does get in.
And I we are also wondering what to do with the box at the backend we were thinking of leaving it open then because when we took a photo of that at the time it did not look too bad.
Then yesterday I was looking at the picture I thought the back did not look right without two back posts and something In between them closing off the back.
We don’t want or need a ramp or do we want a full door but we will put something that can be taken off and on just to make it a little better.
I think if it was bigger you could get away without a back door but being only two planks high I do now think we do need something even if it is just to make it look better but remembering I want the battered hillbilly backend well used rustic look.
Apart from the floor all the rest of the wood is all reclaimed old floorboards with all the bumps and dents and marks still on them.
They are just sanded lightly then oiled in a medium oak colour looking at seeing how the boards age at first and then decide if we are going to use a decent Matt yacht varnish to seal it all to stop it rotting to fast.
I am also aware that some oil or stained don’t like the weather and rain on it can cause strange circles on the face of it.
We can also make up a temp wooden joist type support to support the side’s either as you say support the cover we get at the back.
Until we ride it properly on the road even at any speed both the sides may well flap or distort how it drive’s.
That what we will look at before we do the final finish like you have to do to all homemade customs that you need to meet safe standards before getting it certified to go on the road.
Sorry for the big reply.
Be safe out there
Barnie68

43Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon May 22, 2023 9:06 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
How would a tailgate the same height as the lower board to keep stuff from sliding out of the bed? 

A piece of plywood with a stiffener on the top edge with a nice roundel painted in the center.  Hinged to the bed so it can easily be flipped up and down.  A pair of stake pockets on it would allow putting an extension to make it as high as the sides for larger loads.

A pallet cover is a great idea.  Can you get one tailored to fit with reinforced corners?  A loose fitting cover will make annoying flapping noise as you go down the road and the chafe will quickly wear holes in it.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

44Back to top Go down   Trike update.  Empty Re: Trike update. Mon May 22, 2023 10:18 pm

Barnie68

Barnie68
I have all the proper strapping down tracking running in two lines right down the floor just like what they use in all disabled transport and when we will be doing the second fit they will be bolted to the frame work we have already built to tie anything.

We will be doing something at the back I have already spoke with my mate today as I as said earlier on here that I don’t like the look of the back without something there.
If it was a bigger bed it would be fine but as it’s small it just don’t look right so we may put a swinging gate door one board thick with two decent corner posts to make the sides more stable at the back.
Yes the company I have got for the pallet covers can do fully waterproof covers that should slide down the outside and with the lashings I am sure I can get it tight enough that it will not be flapping or blowing all over the place.
Before I became disabled I worked on site’s as a plant operator and banksman and used to start up loads for tower crane drivers up in the city so trust me I know how to strap it on nice and tight.
There is a 1 inch gap between the two boards so I know wind will get thru the gaps so that’s why I can’t have a solid door as it will blow the cover off or worse really affect the handling if the air can run thru and out the back and it should help not just for the fuel consumption.
Also I will put a removable soft padding on the corners underneath the pallet covers to cushion the corners so they don’t rub on the wood and rip with the wind and movement of the trike.
I do have some pallet collars as I was going to do the back with them and have some spare at home to bring up the hight to the same size as my wheelchair so I could maybe leave my big wheelchair on it and cover it up and be comfortable that it would not get drenched if it was to pour down.
I have also sourced a company in the USA that do proper waterproof covers for Harley based trikes which would be around the size of my trike so when it is finished I shall measure up to see if one would fit over the whole thing bike part included and they are quite reasonable priced. Think around £80-£90 off the top of my head.
It is quite fortunate that I have road bikes for years before disability and have with my mate built another trike that I had xs1100 / xjs jag backend so I have a good bit of experience of what is needed and have been able to know roughly ahead of what I need not just for the trike but also how it needs to be to work with my disability and safety that compromise’s my body ability.
I just have never owned or rode a k bike before so knew nothing about them and when I found about this site that why I first joined it and it has been helpful to me and have chatted with some great people who are happy to educate me.
I did not even know the engine was part of the frame or that it was a mono shock bike until the strip down when I noticed it only had a shock on one side.
Thankfully I knew about not needing a center stand so when my mate said where will be built to ?
I had already worked out the center stand mounts each side of the bike so that was a very good potential place.
thankfully I was right as that is where we went to underneath.
A lot of this build is trial and error due to my disability as I have a spinal chord injury so it is a complex condition the fact I am able to get on a bike shows how much work I have had to do on me before I could even think i maybe able to ride again.
I also do know that it maybe too much for my body but at least I can say I tried and then if I can’t hopefully I would be able to pass it on to another disabled biker who could ride it with the adaptations we have put on it.
I do really appreciate all the knowledge and experience that yous are sharing with me and I know that what I learn as I go I also share what I have found out or done that may help another person out.
😎

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum