BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Daytona85

Daytona85
Looking for help on why I can't get the oil sump/lower crankcase section removed.  I have already removed the.oil/water pump cover, then the pump itself. I took out all the bolts (10 outside and 4 inside) of the lower crankcase.  I went as far as removing the gearbox, then removed the clutch plates to gain access to the Torx head bolts that appears to run into the backside of the crankcase.  It wiggles just a tiny bit, but I don't want to force it just yet.  What else do I need to remove, or is it just being stubborn?  I have looked at the Repair manual, page 11-38.0, and it would seem like it should come off without removing the clutch housing/countershaft/auxiliary shaft etc. 
Any help to a newbie BMW mechanic would be very much appreciated. A few pics of what I'm talking about.Removing crankcase lower section (oil sump) Img_2017
Removing crankcase lower section (oil sump) Img_2018
Removing crankcase lower section (oil sump) Img_2016

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Daytona85 wrote:I went as far as . . .
You went as far as you did because you need to work backward to disassemble an engine to this extent. You just didn't go backward far enough.

The intermediate flange needs to be removed because it is mated to locating dowels in both the lower case and the upper case that essentially join the three parts until the flange is removed. That means you have more parts to remove to be able to separate the flange. Refer to sections 11-35, 36, 37. Before you remove the flange, you should re-bolt the lower case to the upper case not only to reduce tension on the their respective locating dowels engaged into the intermediate flange but also to keep things from falling apart and causing damage when the intermediate flange is finally separated from the engine case. The oil pickup/screen should be removed right now to prevent its being damaged when the lower case is moved about. Its removal is in the instructions you cite.

The lower case and upper case also mate using locating dowels.

The red arrow indicates the intermediate flange; the green arrow indicates the oil pickup. The yellow arrow indicates the lower case intermediate flange locating dowel; the blue arrow indicates the upper case intermediate flange locating dowel.
Removing crankcase lower section (oil sump) Oil_pi10
Removing crankcase lower section (oil sump) Locati10
Removing crankcase lower section (oil sump) Locati10

Daytona85

Daytona85
Laitch - your pictures and instructions are wonderful, better than the manual. I think I've got it from here but we'll see. Thanks for your help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum