BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Remove side stand lever Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:25 pm

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
I use the center stand most of the time since the side stand is in bad shape so I'm thinking about removing it.  I guess I'll have to remove the lever shown below as well, correct?
Remove side stand lever Img_1110

    

2Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Arlina

Arlina
Moderator
Moderator
Lever must be removed when you remove the sidestand.


__________________________________________________
Remove side stand lever Eu-log10  K1100RS/LT - R1200RT - R1100RS (RIP) - Cagiva SST 350 Ala Verde - K75LT project - K75 Schurgers - K75S
    

3Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:24 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
If the pivot isn't corroded (and yours doesn't look it) then you should be able to get away with removing the circlip and washers, then pushing the pivot across until the sidestand lever drops out. It won't come out that way - can't remember what it hits - but it should go across far enough. The alternative as you're that far down is just to push it out to the left and grease it while it's out. Use spline grease Very Happy

However you do it, do it soon, do it gently and get the clutch lever tied up to the frame. Leaving the clutch boot stretched like that is asking for it to rip in very short order.


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec, 1987 K100RT
Others...
1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    

4Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:54 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@bmwk100rs wrote:I use the center stand most of the time since the side stand is in bad shape so I'm thinking about removing it.
If you ever need to park on soft ground or a relatively steep pitch, your moto will be unstable on its center stand. I carry a flat puck to place under the side stand leg when parking on loose gravel or grass. Replace the leg and assembly, or reinforce it if possible.



Last edited by Laitch on Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total


__________________________________________________
1995 K75 81,000 miles
Remove side stand lever Usa-lo10
    

5Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:58 pm

RS Rider

RS Rider
Silver member
Silver member
I have a 1985 K100RS with a complete sidestand/centrestand assembly from a K1100 which doesn't use the clutch lever retract parts from the K100. You don't NEED to take it off if you don't want to. All I did was remove the threaded pull rod and its nut.

    

6Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:46 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Those curved centre stands have a nasty habit of breaking......


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 Bertha Blue 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Brutus Baja Red 578 bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 0188024 Wotan Mystic Red 689 58,645 now 106,950 miles Deceased.
1983 K100RS 0011171 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 37,190 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 42,640 miles.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500
    

7Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:59 pm

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks everyone for your advices and comments.

@Dai wrote:you should be able to get away with removing the circlip and washers, then pushing the pivot across until the sidestand lever drops out. It won't come out that way - can't remember what it hits - but it should go across far enough.

I'll try it and let you know why it doesn't come out that way, if that's the case.

@Dai wrote:However you do it, do it soon, do it gently and get the clutch lever tied up to the frame. Leaving the clutch boot stretched like that is asking for it to rip in very short order.

Good point, will do!

@Laitch wrote:If you ever need to park on soft ground or a relatively steep pitch, your moto will be unstable on its center stand.

None of those apply to me.

@RS Rider wrote:You don't NEED to take it off if you don't want to. All I did was remove the threaded pull rod and its nut.

Won't it be rattling?



Last edited by bmwk100rs on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:43 am; edited 3 times in total

    

8Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:14 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
The curved centre stands normally break due to missing or compromised stand end plugs. Water gets into the stand and starts the rusting process. Make sure your plugs aren't compromised and replace if cracked. As an extra precaution remove the plugs pour in rust killer/convertor drain and allow to dry. Once dry fill with LPS 3 or Fish Olene or other rust preventative coating. 
Regards Martin.


__________________________________________________
K75s Hybrid
    

9Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:48 pm

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
@MartinW wrote:compromised stand end plugs.

Martin, what or where are the stand end plugs?

    

10Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:20 pm

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
@Dai wrote:If the pivot isn't corroded (and yours doesn't look it) then you should be able to get away with removing the circlip and washers, then pushing the pivot across until the sidestand lever drops out. It won't come out that way - can't remember what it hits - but it should go across far enough. The alternative as you're that far down is just to push it out to the left and grease it while it's out. Use spline grease Very Happy

However you do it, do it soon, do it gently and get the clutch lever tied up to the frame. Leaving the clutch boot stretched like that is asking for it to rip in very short order.

Hey Dai,

I removed the side stand lever by sliding it out to the left once the circle-clip and washers were removed. I was not able to push or slide the pivot/rod across to the right though.  Now, what will prevent the pivot from sliding to the right overtime without the side stand lever and circle-clip on the opposite side?
Remove side stand lever Img_1112
Remove side stand lever Img_1111
Remove side stand lever Img_1114

    

11Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:41 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
There are two rubber/plastic end plugs that seal the ends of the curved stand legs. If they are cracked or missing water will enter the legs when in the up position. You can also clean out the legs with a stainless steel bottle brush attached to your drill, before adding the rust inhibitor/preventative. Also shown in the picture is the building up by welding a strip of steel on the stand foot where it tends to wear out due to constant deployment. I replaced the stand shown with a later straight leg stand.
Regards Martin.
Remove side stand lever P9140010


__________________________________________________
K75s Hybrid
    

12Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:45 am

RS Rider

RS Rider
Silver member
Silver member
@bmwk100rs wrote:


 Now, what will prevent the pivot from sliding to the right overtime without the side stand lever and circle-clip on the opposite side?
Remove side stand lever Img_1112
Remove side stand lever Img_1111
Remove side stand lever Img_1114


If you never, never, never, never, ever want to use this function again, you could cut the arms off of the lever, dress it up a little with a file or Dremel and reinstall it with the circlip to be used as a spacer so the pivot shaft doesn’t move. Alternatively you could make or find something to be used as a spacer.

    

13Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:05 am

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Martin for the explanation and photo.

Thank RS Rider for the suggestions.  I'm gonna add a spacer and install the circle-clip back on it.

    

14Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:07 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I was lazy. I just put the circlip back on! It doesn't seem to have moved very far in the last 60,000 or so miles.


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec, 1987 K100RT
Others...
1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    

15Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:54 pm

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks again everyone!

A sleeve bearing did it.
Remove side stand lever Img_1115
Remove side stand lever Img_1116

    

16Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:50 am

RS Rider

RS Rider
Silver member
Silver member
Is that an off-the-shelf bearing sleeve? If so, do you have a part/stock number?

    

17Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:04 pm

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
@RS Rider wrote:Is that an off-the-shelf bearing sleeve? If so, do you have a part/stock number?

Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094FBMBFX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    

18Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:42 pm

RS Rider

RS Rider
Silver member
Silver member
@bmwk100rs wrote:
@RS Rider wrote:Is that an off-the-shelf bearing sleeve? If so, do you have a part/stock number?

Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094FBMBFX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you. I'll use the bearing dimensions and find something locally. During winter maintenance checks I'll do as you have done and remove the lever and install a spacer.

    

19Back to top Go down   Remove side stand lever Empty Re: Remove side stand lever Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:17 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
It's also worthwhile to install a grease nipple on the clutch arm.
Regards Martin.Remove side stand lever Clutch23


__________________________________________________
K75s Hybrid
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum