BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Shaft U-Joint Empty Shaft U-Joint Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:12 am

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
I'm about to put the shaft back. I already lubed the transmission output and shaft splines, but do I need to lube (grease) the u-joint too?  If so, then how do you apply the grease to the u-joint? 
Shaft U-Joint Img_1210

2Back to top Go down   Shaft U-Joint Empty Re: Shaft U-Joint Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:16 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You cant they are a throw away item. The joint can be replaced but it ain't easy.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Shaft U-Joint Empty Re: Shaft U-Joint Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:28 am

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
RicK G wrote:You cant they are a throw away item.

Are you saying that as long as the u-joint is not damaged, then you don't need to grease it and just install the shaft back in.  Otherwise, you will need to replace the whole shaft since the u-joint cannot be removed.

4Back to top Go down   Shaft U-Joint Empty Re: Shaft U-Joint Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:09 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yep that's right if it feels good keep it, there is no way new grease can get in there.
The uni joint can be replaced if you are lucky enough to find the right replacement but it is a job for experts with expensive tools.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Shaft U-Joint Empty Re: Shaft U-Joint Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:58 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, the U-Joint is a throwaway.  A couple years ago I priced out replacing one on a friend's K100 shaft.  While the joint was something like $27, the machine shop labor to replace it was about the price of a brand new drive shaft with brand new splines.

From what I've seen hanging around here and some other K bike sites, the joint isn't the weak point in the drive shaft.  Almost all failures of Monolever shafts is in the splines at the final drive.

Paralever shafts have had a few joint failures which I suspect are the result of not having the joints phased correctly.  Incorrect phasing puts a lot of stress on the joints.  Another possible failure cause is not having the the shaft locked in the correct position on the transmission output shaft.  It's really tough on the u-joint when it isn't aligned with the swing arm pivot point.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

6Back to top Go down   Shaft U-Joint Empty Re: Shaft U-Joint Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:04 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
I've had a few uj joint fails over the years. Some would be due to the extra loading caused by the sidecar. Spline failures are definitely more common. I'm pretty sure that there are a few businesses doing an exchange service now if you have a shaft that's worth saving.

The first UJ failure I had was in Jan '93 on a '91 model R100GS (approx 70,000km). The bike had already had a 5th gear/cluster gear failure at around 60,000km, making me and the dog hitch hike from Glendambo to Adelaide and then fly home to Sydney from there (and $$$$ repair cause it all happened just out of warranty). Once I found that the UJ knocking under load could only be rectified by replacing the driveshaft at the cost of $1000, I instantly went to a Yamaha shop and traded the heap of shit on a TDM850, one of the best decisions I ever made. The rear shock failed completely in that time period too. When the shaft failed it was just the last straw for me.

I really liked the R100GS except for the legendary BMW reliability that didn't seem to be installed on this bike.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Shaft U-Joint K-dogs10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum