BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Karuah River Rally Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:49 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Looks like the KRR is on again over the weekend of 11 - 13 February at the usual location.  

As we north of the border will have our Freeeeedom back again this weekend and will be allowed to travel unmolested in and out of the state, I have this event firmly in place for my first trip of the year.  I realise that covid is still out there but if managed sensibly we should be able to manage it.  

I know who the likely attendees are from our group of intrepid travellers, so are there any other starters?  My plan would be to leave Brisbane on Friday morning travelling the inland route.

2Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:14 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You can pick me up on the way through Dave.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:39 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Karuah River Rally 112350

4Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:07 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
I'll be there; not much choice really Smile.

Please pay attention to any info about the road to the rally when you get to Dungog.  One road is closed due to a damaged bridge which will not be repaired.  The road across the causeway is still open.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Karuah River Rally K-dogs10

5Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:33 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Hoping to make it

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Karuah River Rally Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

6Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:15 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Are any of you K100 Forum members (besides Al) still planning on travelling to this rally?

I am not actively planning to go but since I am virtually local to the area I may come out for a day ride to catch up with intrepid K100 forum members who have travelled from afar.

Cheers

7Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:19 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Rick and I will be travelling down on Friday.

8Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:37 pm

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
old man coming up from Canberra

2004 F650 GS known as DACK-DACK

#### K100 RS Project 
2011 R1200 GS known as Big Blue 

9Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:14 pm

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Spoke to Tackler this morning and I will plan to be hanging about downtown Dungog from around 10.00am on Saturday morning. I'll be on my black G650GS. I may go out to the site later.

Hope to see some of you there.

Cheers.

10Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:46 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Matthew-Brisbane wrote:old man coming up from Canberra

Old man Matt but no Matt?

11Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:07 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
I was hoping to tag along on something or other, but alas, all my bikes are in varying stages of construction/destruction at the moment. Embarassed

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc7NNjWO7nHEhMpErSDJ5Hw

12Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:59 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ill be there 

but leaving here about 8 am ish on saturday  so wont be in dungog till after 11 but before 12 ? 

drop in if you like  on friday , Dave - Rick

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:34 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Well it promised to be a wet weekend and finished slightly drier.  

I departed Brisbane earlier on Friday and managed a good run through non-existent peak hour traffic along the Logan Motorway to Ipswich.  The previous few weeks had slowly seen the resurrection of my F650 Dakar back to a road worthy condition.  A minor electrical issue still to be sorted regarding the speedo and tacho resulted in me having no idea what speed I was doing for the whole trip.  

Rick was waiting at the agreed location at Stanthorpe and after refuelling and a sausage roll, we were on our way.  Rick was on the K1200 complete with trailer.  We agreed that he would lead and set the speed for my benefit.  Crossing the border into Mexico our clocks mysteriously gained an hour in time.  As if covid was not enough.  

There was a prior call arranged with Schorn in Guyra and a cup of tea provided the opportunity for the new family addition to chew on my bootlaces.  A brand spanking new Red Dog named Suzie.  Welcome future sidecar passenger.  

Our next stop was Armidale for a fuel stop and it was still a dry run, so far.  Turning off for Thunderbolts Way at Uralla we headed over the windswept plains towards Gloucester.  Not exactly warm by my standards and I was glad I threw an extra layer of clothing in before I left home.  It is still summer but this is the New England area.  

There is a regular stopping spot on the top of the range before we decended towards the coast and through the National Park.  A good view below into the valley but the ominous dark clouds told us there was rain but how far away was it?  
Karuah River Rally Dscn8611

Signs at the top told us it was steep descent and for larger vehicles to use a lower gear.  Not sure whether Rick complied or not.  A little way down was a small burnt out car, with police tape and some joker had decided to put one of those blow up adult dolls out the driver's window.  Unable to stop for a photo opportunity because it was fairly steep and laughing to hard too concentrate.  I named her Ursula*.  

The section of road is one of the truly remarkable roads in the area and really males the ride enjoyable.  Sweeping open corners amongst gentle hills with good visibility.  A few bridge crossings and not too much traffic although it can be a bugger to pass if caught behind slow moving cars.  

About ten minutes out of Gloucester the clouds decided to open and an afternoon thunderstorm did its thing.  Not just miserable rain but big loud droplets designed to annoy.  I stopped and put the rain gear on and Rick the same, although perhaps not in the safest position as the local Wallopers had a quick chat.  

A fuel stop for Rick came next and I discovered that my new riding boots were indeed waterproof as advertised.  Once the water gets in it does not get out. From here it was rain non-stop into Dungog where the roads were a patchwork of pothole repairs.  Enough to even annoy on the Dakar.  

A stop was decided as we passed the Bank Hotel and after peeling of the rain gear, using the QR code to enter after donning a facemask, I approached the bar and my first question was, "Do you have any rooms left?"  Fortunately the reply was in the affirmative indicating the last one and I didn't care about the price.  A far better option that setting up in a wet campground with rain forest trees just dripping on everything all night with everything getting wet in the process.  As we parked around the back we met Matt's Dad who had ridden from Canberra and was unpacking as well.  
Karuah River Rally Dscn8615

So after a warm night we waited for things to dry and caught up with Gaz who had ridden up for the day.  We also caught up with Al, Maree and the dogs.  A drying day which promised better weather and after a coffee we all headed out to the site.  The reports were of a good road in with the second half in quite good condition for a dirt road.  More rocks than dirt and not slippery after all the rain.  Rick led the pack and setting the pace with trailer in tow, a sedate pace was set.  

The site was in the usual place being wet and a little boggy.  Quite a few cars there but not part of the rally.  Other riders kept coming all day and I believe about 110 riders attended.  No events and a raffle and trophies awarded in the afternoon.  Our man Rick came away with first prize and a gift voucher from one of the events sponsors.  There were still more prizes to be won but I left empty handed.  

Charlie had turned up earlier in the day after departing that morning with another local rider in tow.  We also said hello to Michael from Sydney who was in the company of another.  So a total of seven from the forum attended.  We couldn't include Matt's Dad as he is not really a member.    The rest of the day was spent dodging the rain showers in between bursts of sunshine.  We spent the evening watching Charlie performing a balancing act on his stove with bacon, sausages and spuds until Al and Maree arrived with the dogs in tow.  Charlie had been a bit slack in organising a fire, so light was provided by a battery powered lamp.  

Not a late night but whilst dozing off to sleep one of the mob next door who was obviously well and truly plastered decided to start a fight with one of his mates whilst the others kept them apart.  The arguing went on and eventually all was quiet.  On the good side, old mate did apologise to them the next morning.  Until next time.  
Karuah River Rally Dscn8616

A relatively early start and Matt's Dad was one of the first to leave.  Rick was going to head south to visit Tom, so I headed off and into town.  On the way out it was mostly uphill and I gave the Dakar a bit of a hammering on the dirt even getting into top gear a couple of times.  So not too bad a ride in.  Once it Dungog the potholes on top of potholes made it rougher than the dirt.  I highly recommend the public toilet just out of town as it has to be one of the best stocked and cleanest 'loos in the country.  Sort of made up for the potholes.  
Karuah River Rally Dscn8614

The run out through Gloucester and up to the top of the range was just a really enjoyable ride as I opened up the Dakar and had a bit of fun.  On the other side of the last bridge a Highway Patrol car was waiting but on second glance he was controlling traffic around the station wagon that had hit part of the bridge.  Probably waiting for the tow truck.  Continuing up the range I stopped at the lookout again but sadly someone had removed Ursula from the car below.  A missed photo opportunity.  

A bit chilly from here on until I stopped at Walcha for fuel and a Chico Roll.  A quick stop for a cuppa with Schorn and next stop was Tenterfield and on home.  Breaching the border I notice the clocks were working properly again.  Relatively uneventful and home before dark.  

So apart from the wet Friday night and surprisingly sun burnt feet from Saturday, the Dakar ran flawlessly and made all the bumps manageable compared to riding the 75.  A couple of people made promises regarding the Kane Toad but prior to that we have Bill's Southern Run to look forward to.  Will I return next year?  Undecided at this stage but always a possibility.  

* From the movie Super Troopers.

14Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:53 pm

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Good ride report; thanks.
Looking on the radar on Friday evening, I'd have been grateful for a pub room too!
Attached is a photo of Suzie the new pup.
Not sure whether she'll turn out to be a sidecar doggo or not... will let her grow and develop a bit first and she if she likes it.

Karuah River Rally 20220210

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc7NNjWO7nHEhMpErSDJ5Hw

15Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:03 am

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Good read and pics Tackler - I always enjoy a ride report, especially good when it jogs a few aging memories and reminds me that, when the current stupidness is firmly behind us, I need to get back down under to abuse everybodies hospitality again. So pleased that several of you managed to get together for the event.

Really surprised that Ursula didn’t get to ride pillion with you:lol!:

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

16Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:50 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Nice write up Tackler. Sounds like an enjoyable ride all round. I should'a made the effort but been a bit busy lately and it just slipped by. See ya next month down south. Cheers Nige

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Karuah River Rally Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

17Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:36 am

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Dad is a forum member  

but he to old to understand how to use it

2004 F650 GS known as DACK-DACK

#### K100 RS Project 
2011 R1200 GS known as Big Blue 

18Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:58 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
I see that Charlie and Gerty have managed to get themselves into the latest monthly magazine of the BMWTCNSW. The photo of the registration tent at the Karuah River Rally.

These K100 Forum people just keep popping up everywhere!

Cheers

Karuah River Rally Krr22_10

19Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:47 am

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
I wish I could have made it again this year but find myself in Thailand! Getting some riding in but alas not OK my K.
Will do my very best to get there next year (if I am not stuck in quarantine on Christmas Island!)

20Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:20 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Badge arrived today.  

Due to covid on again off again saga, the badges were made after the event instead of before.  

My thanks to Rob, Al, Marie, etc., for organising the event at short notice.  But not for the rain.

21Back to top Go down   Karuah River Rally Empty Re: Karuah River Rally Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:00 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
so did mine Dave 
good to hear 
many thanks to the rally folks 

Karuah River Rally 20220410

after the rally with a few hours at hand i took a bit of a detour out to the Chichester dam , close to the rally off road connection over the hill and through the water crossing 

i hadn't seen this glorious place before, after travelling the path many times , close but not visited , with fantastic views in a really secluded spot 

the dam is impressive and looks like a great picnic spot down at the bottom of the spillway area 

Karuah River Rally 20220210
Karuah River Rally 20220211

Karuah River Rally 20220212

Karuah River Rally 20220213
later i caught up with my riding mate at Walcha (glen  from glen innes on a honda dual sport thingy ) who took off early and did the glouchester to wachope route and then up the fabulous Oxley highway hill climb . a break for lunch and did the last 200klms home .
another great trip to meet mates

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum