BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Nonworking odometer and trip meter. Empty Nonworking odometer and trip meter. Thu May 19, 2022 6:02 am

harrowbmw

Hello good people. Here is a question for the electrically smart ones around here.
This morning the odometer and trip meter stopped spinning over. Everything else is 100%. Tacho and speedo and all the telltales lights are just fine. I swapped the pod over with a known good spare I have and the odometer and trip meter and all OK and roll over as they should. So I'm guessing it is something inside the instrument pod. I have removed the gears and they all appear to be in very good condition. They all turn freely, engage well and when turned by hand, both the trip meter and odometer turn smoothly and freely. Any ideas? Is anyone able to let me know where do I begin looking and diagnosing? The Pod is from my 1983 K100.
Cheers all.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would put odds on it being gears the small white one 12 teeth is often the problem. If the teeth look OK then check that the gear is firm on the shaft it may be cracked and then the shaft wont turn it.
I have been in that situation so replace all the gears and DON"T put any lubricant on then they are self lubricating. If you don't replace all the others they will soon fail.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

harrowbmw

Yes Rick, I found several teeth missing on the second gear down from the outside.  It must have been quite an epic failure after so many years.  I've found the Odometergears.com website and I'm currently looking through it for the right set of four.  

Cheers.

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Ricardo  sell the gear  he on this site and on facebook 

If you don't want to do it yourself I have used Lionel Otto Instruments  and never had a problem  with his workmanship.  

2004 F650 GS known as DACK-DACK

#### K100 RS Project 
2011 R1200 GS known as Big Blue 

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Matthew-Brisbane wrote:Ricardo  sell the gear  he on this site and on facebook 

If you don't want to do it yourself I have used Lionel Otto Instruments  and never had a problem  with his workmanship.  
I used Lionel Otto recently as they are local to me.  The turnaround was to be a few weeks, however it was ready the next day.  Cost about $170.  

From the outside it looks like a wooden shack but they do a wide range of instrument calibration, older vehicle instrumentation and some aviation stuff.  Well recommended.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum