BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Trip odometer reset Empty Trip odometer reset Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:56 pm

Tom Witt

Tom Witt
Hey all, this is pretty minor but is triggering the heck out of my OCD. I can't reset my trip odo. The odometer works, and the trip odo works in tandem with it, but I just can't reset it. I've searched the forum and can't find anything addressing my specific issue. I've had the cluster off the bike to replace a bulb, Deoxit connections and troubleshoot a speedo issue (turned out to be the ring inside the FD). There's no debris or any signs of damage to any of the odo or trip gears. Can anyone describe the mechanics of how the reset knob engages and turns the trip odo gears? It stopped resetting over a year ago and was an issue prior to the speedo repair. 

The bike is a 1985 K100RS. I commute 160 miles a day and have over 72k miles on it now. Runs great, but this is bugging me :-)

2Back to top Go down   Trip odometer reset Empty Re: Trip odometer reset Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:07 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
From memory, the reset knob has a tang that engages with the speedometer assembly - you can pull the reset knob outwards (it's sprung loaded) and turn or twiddle it until it engages properly.

3Back to top Go down   Trip odometer reset Empty Re: Trip odometer reset Wed May 01, 2019 7:26 pm

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
On my 85 RT I just roll the knob (top away from rider) and the numbers synch then zero. I recall having to do something tricksy with the knob when I re-assembled the cluster last year, maybe pulling out the knob to engage with the odo gears before everything is put back together? The handbook doesn’t mention any operational use for pulling the knob out.

2000 Hayabusa with Charnwood chair, Wasp forks and EZS wheels.

4Back to top Go down   Trip odometer reset Empty Re: Trip odometer reset Fri May 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Tom Witt

Tom Witt
IIRC, the knob had to be pulled out in order to remove the ODO assembly. I've tried pulling it out and turning to no avail. There's a slight click and the number wheel twitches every half turn of the knob. Guess I'm pulling it over Memorial Day weekend. Thanks guys, thought I was doing something wrong but I guess not.

5Back to top Go down   Trip odometer reset Empty Re: Trip odometer reset Fri May 03, 2019 5:02 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Tom Witt wrote:IIRC, the knob had to be pulled out in order to remove the ODO assembly. 
The odometer knob must be pulled to enable removal of the cluster instruments from the case. Have you looked at duck's resource concerning instrument cluster components?

Resetting of the odometer is done as described by tinyspuds; the knob is simply turned counterclockwise as you face it until all the zeros align—no pushing or pulling of it.

6Back to top Go down   Trip odometer reset Empty Re: Trip odometer reset Fri May 03, 2019 5:19 pm

Tom Witt

Tom Witt
Thanks Laitch, I had seen that before, but just saw the LED bit. I found the diagram for the trip ODO and now I'm wondering if the gear on the end of the knob is doing it's job. Now that I know what it's supposed to look like in there, I can pull a Sesame Street and figure out what's missing. Maybe calibrate my speedo while I'm at it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum