BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
its just vibrating but no indicators , sounds like its trying to work , its the green type box  , any ideas where to start ?

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Bulb monitor and turn signals are separate independent circuits.

The bulb monitor is the black "relay" on the left. It only deals with the brake and tail lights.

The green one is the flasher relay that controls the turn signals. Check the #7 fuse. (And #3 fuse if the clock is not working.)

Turn signals gremlins can be a symptom of a dirty starter motor.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
thanks clock is working and gear indicator etc the only thing which will not work are the indicators , bike starts and runs very well , the green box just makes a noise and vibrates when indicators selected ? i am going round all earths to make sure , if the box is scrap i may try to fit two flasher units and get shut of the green box , will see thanks

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
If you're thinking about installing generic flasher relays then that will be a challenge. Most generic or "normal" flasher relays use non-momentary switches. K bikes, on the other hand, use momentary switches to initiate and cancel turn signals.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
firstle wrote:its just vibrating but no indicators , sounds like its trying to work , its the green type box  , any ideas where to start ?
Is this the box containing the board which you cut for installation of LEDs, as described in this post, firstie?

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
no this is another bike , this one i want to keep standard

7Back to top Go down   bulb monitoring relay box indicators  Empty Indicator a relay Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:02 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
If the hazard lights work normally, I will also guess that the problem is a poor earth to the flasher unit, because the hazards get earth from the hazard switch. Pin 31 is earth. It's best to find the fault before fixing it, but sometimes I just get lazy and try a quick fix, like say giving the unit and it's holder a clean and a spray of electrical contact cleaner, that might fix it. While you're there, might as well give the others a clean too.

It seems that power is from fuse 7 for the indicators, and fuse 3 for the hazards.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
daveyson wrote:If the hazard lights work normally, I will also guess that the problem is a poor earth to the flasher unit, because the hazards get earth from the hazard switch. Pin 31 is earth. It's best to find the fault before fixing it, but sometimes I just get lazy and try a quick fix, like say giving the unit and it's holder a clean and a spray of electrical contact cleaner, that might fix it. While you're there, might as well give the others a clean too.

Power is from fuse 7 for the indicators, and fuse 3 for the hazards.
Pin 31 is the main ground for the flasher relay. The ground from the hazard switch has minimal current to ground via the W pin as it is just the trigger for hazard mode of the flasher relay.

bulb monitoring relay box indicators  5taKRQA

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

9Back to top Go down   bulb monitoring relay box indicators  Empty Indicator relay Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:45 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
I was about to edit it, you beat me to it. The hazards get power and earth differently to the indicators, so it's not much help. Or, maybe, if the hazards don't work points to earth, if they do work, points to fuse 7. Or just clean up the contacts.

On my bricks and wiring diagrams hazard pin 2 is yellow/violet, and pin 3 is blue/white. The drawing above has it reversed, maybe that's for a later model.

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
will take a look later , i have noticed it also has a 12v lucas flasher unit instaled next to the standard unit but have no idea what that one does , bike is ex police/blood bike , im hoping it just a earth or fuse problem , rest of the bike is good and im looking forwards to a ride (the first standard k100 i have rode) the bike had been standing for some years .

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
wiring in the tail part behind the rear light had fallen apart , i think i may have found the problem

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
firstle wrote:will take a look later , i have noticed it also has a 12v lucas flasher unit instaled next to the standard unit but have no idea what that one does , bike is ex police/blood bike
Blue lights is my guess.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
all sorted , i ran a new earth to the flasher unit , still the same trying to work , ran a new earth to the bulb monitoring unit which shares the same earth and they work perfect , thanks for your help again , bikes now ready for the road  Very Happy ps when i looked at the fuses they are all trip reset type , i have not seen these before

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum