BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

celhardt

celhardt
I drove my '85 K100RT (mfg date 8/84) into the shed for the winter, removed the battery to trickle charge in the house.  Sort of started in May and I was able to ride it a few miles but it was difficult to start; rolling the throttle quickly would kill it.  The engine runs while the starter is depressed and then quits a few revs after the switch is released.
-fuel pressure at 38psi when cranking, drops to 20 and then slowly to 0 when not cranking.
-correct new plugs and wires from euromotoelec. the old plugs had the screw tips and a lot of gray powder in the boot.
-read from CrazyFrog's troubleshooting guide that I should have had 2500 ohms at 25°C at the temp sensor, so I replaced it but the new one has the same value at that temp.
-all four injectors emit a bit of gasoline while cranking
-Throttle position switch clicks at the slightest turn of the throttle, both switches show continuity
-disconnected and sprayed electrical contact cleaner on the contacts of the EFI and Jetronic connectors

Am at a loss but will continue with the troubleshooting guide.  I noted that in [url=https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/K100 troubleshooting Starting.pdf]https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/K100%20troubleshooting%20Starting.pdf[/url]'
the diagram for the ignition module is the mirror image of what's on the bike, so I measured everything based on the color IDs of the wires.

Local dealer tech cut off services at 15 years (better than 10) but at any rate he's even 6 weeks behind for even simple things like routine service.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
celhardt wrote:-all four injectors emit a bit of gasoline while cranking
Which spray pattern does it most look like?

https://www.injectorrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/fuel-injector-spray-pattern.jpg

-Dai

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
How old is the fuel filter? It could be clogged. The injectors should emit more than "a bit" when cranking is happening. Are those British bits, or American?

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
+1 on getting a new fuel filter.  NAPA Gold 3032 is the standard for bricks.  Also check that all the hose clamps in the tank are tight and not spraying fuel that should be going to the injectors all over the inside of the tank.  DO NOT use the hose pieces that come with the filter!  They are not for use in fuel tanks.

You mention that the fuel pressure drops once the engine catches and the start button is released.  There should be a signal from the ignition control or the injector control box to keep the fuel pump running when engine speed is above 700rpm.  It appears to me you are losing that signal and that is where I would concentrate my attention. 

I believe that signal goes to the coil of the fuel injection relay.  You might want to see if you can put a meter on the coil contacts to see what is going on.  As short piece of wire stuck into the pin socket of the relay connector and sticking out after the relay is put back will allow you to connect your meter for the reading.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Big clue is that it cuts off after releasing the start button.

Next time you do it keep the start button pressed and see if it keeps firing. If it keeps firing its telling you all is good but.....unseat and reseat the plug into the fuel injection control unit [FICU] under the seat. You will have disturbed this refitting the battery. Clean the pins on the plug while you are at it. This may well solve your problem! Point 75 is on this too. 

Next thing you need to check is the electrical plug into the front left of the tank. These go wrong. Open out the pins slightly to make sure it has a tighter fit and better electrical contact. You can buy these from www.tills.de. Most of my Ks have these plugs and I bought enough of them to replace them all.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

celhardt

celhardt
Laitch wrote:How old is the fuel filter? It could be clogged. The injectors should emit more than "a bit" when cranking is happening. Are those British bits, or American?
I thought the fuel filter was clogged, too, but a new one has not improved anything.  Thx for the picture of what the pattern should look like.  Will try tomorrow

celhardt

celhardt
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Big clue is that it cuts off after releasing the start button.

Next time you do it keep the start button pressed and see if it keeps firing. If it keeps firing its telling you all is good but.....unseat and reseat the plug into the fuel injection control unit [FICU] under the seat. You will have disturbed this refitting the battery. Clean the pins on the plug while you are at it. This may well solve your problem! Point 75 is on this too. 

Next thing you need to check is the electrical plug into the front left of the tank. These go wrong. Open out the pins slightly to make sure it has a tighter fit and better electrical contact. You can buy these from www.tills.de. Most of my Ks have these plugs and I bought enough of them to replace them all.
Done all that, thx

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum