BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Oil leak @ front Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:47 pm

Almiscarado

Almiscarado
Hi there!
Oil leak @ front Img_2012
Last week i bought a 86 k100rt, but only today i could ride it a bit, first 25kms while i wait for a optional low seat to arrive.
The good: engine wise all seems fine.
The bad: front suspension seems a bit bouncy and i saw these oil leak after the ride:
Oil leak @ front Img_2013Oil leak @ front Img_2014

Am i already in trouble?

2Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Re: Oil leak @ front Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:17 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
"Am I already in trouble?"

Not really, you have just been presented with a sterling opportunity to show a 37 year old classic motorbike how much you want to be it's friend.  Many here have been confronted by worse with a new Brick.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Re: Oil leak @ front Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:48 pm

Almiscarado

Almiscarado
A bit confused a out where the leak comes from, still dont know much about K bike.

I like to do my wrenching and have some experience with other bikes

4Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Re: Oil leak @ front Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:20 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Looking at the photo you posted, my first guess would be the cam chain cover, or possibly the joint between the cam chain cover and the valve cover.  There are several covers that come together at that front corner and several of my bikes had some unequal surfaces that create a hard area to seal.  A bead of silicone sealant fixes it.

The other possibility, is that there is a leaky oil pump, but I am not sure the oil from that leak would spread as far as it is shown in your photo. 

I would suggest doing a good detailing of the bike with S100 motorcycle cleaner.  Take as much apart as you can and take your time getting into every nook and cranny.  Take a nice afternoon.  The way the bike will look when you are done will make it worth the time.  You will not only have a bike that will be a LOT more pleasant to work on, but you'll have a much better idea of what kind of condition it is really in and what kind of work it needs.

After you have cleaned it, dust the front of the engine with talcum powder and go for a long ride.  After the ride you will have a good indication of where the oil is coming from.  That will determine what needs to be done to fix it.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

5Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Re: Oil leak @ front Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:25 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Rose scented spray on talc sticks better and smells nice. But any fragrance will do, your choice. Oil leak @ front 652573
Regards Martin.

6Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Re: Oil leak @ front Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:04 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
A common area to leak. Point seven five mentions uneven mating surfaces at the front LH bottom corner - where the timing cover meets the cylinder head meets the cam cover. I suspect BM's quality control because I've had this problem after swapping and changing parts - I ended up rooting around for the original parts to match up, which they do perfectly, so maybe BM machined the timing cover and head as a matched pair? I would if I were making an engine, but I work in a shed on a slightly lower budget Very Happy
Anyway, I've used various sealants with various success, but Loctite 518 gave a solid cure where others failed.

7Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Re: Oil leak @ front Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:08 am

Almiscarado

Almiscarado
Oil leak @ front Img_2015
These bolts where very loose...

8Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Re: Oil leak @ front Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:16 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
They're just the hall sensor/timing cover. No oil inside there (or shouldn't be!). They might feel a bit loose because A: they shouldn't be that tight anyway & B: the squishy cork gasket compresses and hardens after all these years (last century tech!)

9Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Re: Oil leak @ front Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:07 am

Almiscarado

Almiscarado
Oh, i thought i had found the culprit! I cleaned everything UP, Will try to source the leak point after a ride.

10Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Re: Oil leak @ front Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:54 pm

Almiscarado

Almiscarado
35 kms later, it looks quite dry...
Oil leak @ front Img_2016
Oil leak @ front Img_2017
Oil leak @ front Img_2018

11Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Re: Oil leak @ front Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:03 pm

Almiscarado

Almiscarado
On a different subject: what hides behind this box? I am missing one Bolt...
Oil leak @ front Img_2019

12Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Re: Oil leak @ front Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:15 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
The coils. The socket screw ('allen bolt', if you prefer) that is missing is an M4 x 10mm. The OEM ones (the other three) are called 'half height' bolts because the socket head is half the height of the ISO definition for a socket screw of that size. I have replaced all of mine on both bikes with standard height stainless steel ones.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

13Back to top Go down   Oil leak @ front Empty Re: Oil leak @ front Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:38 am

Almiscarado

Almiscarado
Dai wrote:The coils. The socket screw ('allen bolt', if you prefer) that is missing is an M4 x 10mm. The OEM ones (the other three) are called 'half height' bolts because the socket head is half the height of the ISO definition for a socket screw of that size. I have replaced all of mine on both bikes with standard height stainless steel ones.
I might Just do the same, might BE very difficult to find similar here... Thanks!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum