BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty what am i looking at? Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:26 pm

vividcolt

vividcolt
It would seem there is a part missing above the engine?

Although, im hoping thats not the case. As i am definitely wanting to put the coolant reservoir and front brake reservoir over here.

Thanks,what am i looking at? Img_5413
what am i looking at? Img_5412

Let me know if the images don’t work.

2Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Update Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:29 pm

vividcolt

vividcolt
The missing air filter and intake pipe is removed intentionally. There is a screw hole on the engine which makes me think there is a part that goes in this wide open space

3Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:39 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Front master cylinder reservoir is a gravity feed to the cylinder you might be pushing uphill to relocate it there. 
Regards Martin.

4Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:08 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Nothing's missing, but take note of what Martin says.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

5Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:46 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
vividcolt wrote:

Although, im hoping thats not the case. As i am definitely wanting to put the coolant reservoir and front brake reservoir over here.

A bad idea and a very bad idea.
If there's nothing here, there's a good reason why: this is the hottest zone of the bike. The warmed air from the radiator combines to the warmed air coming from above the engine, trapped under the reservoir. It's pure nonsense to place here the coolant catch can as it will warm up the coolant constantly. On a bike prone to overheating, that's not the smartest thing to do.
About the brake reservoir it may work if placed here, but only in zero gravity zones...Rolling Eyes
And if you expect to ride on Earth and place here the rear brake fluid reservoir, the temperature will also be an issue: the fluid will boil at the first braking and your brakes will never operate.

6Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:45 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
vividcolt wrote:The missing air filter and intake pipe is removed intentionally. There is a screw hole on the engine which makes me think there is a part that goes in this wide open space

I have been in there on a few of my Ks but there is nothing to go into that threaded hole on any of them

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

7Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:00 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
BMW put that hole there so's, thirty five years later, I could use it to bolt down a shed-built plenum chamber.

Fully agree with JBT's point about airflow through the radiator btw. I binned the entire fan on three different Ks (none are faired) and I guess this improves airflow. Prior to that, the fan on my K100 never switched on, but this is temperate old England, and I don't ride in cities.

8Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:02 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
That threaded hole looks to me like it is in the perfect spot for a lifting ring to make handling the engine easier in the factory.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

9Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:10 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
I'd guess the 'gap' is there because BMW laid out the 750, then added another cylinder to the front and bent the frame downtubes forwards.
I'm not kidding (for a change).

10Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:23 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
It's a good hypothesis, yet the K100 was first developped, then the K75 was issued from it.

11Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:50 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
That threaded hole in the bare space on top of the engine was the perfect place for me to use a threaded rubber mount for the adjustable fuel pressure regulator I fitted to "Big Block.'
what am i looking at? 20230710
Smile

12Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:25 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Mods; please rename this thread ‘What I fixed to the M8 hole on MY k-bike’. 😀
Weather vane anyone?
Church bell?
Burj Khalifa?

13Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:07 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Suzi Q wrote:Weather vane anyone?
Church bell?
Burj Khalifa?
Miniature thermoelectric generator black zip-tied to an eyebolt-mounted, cantilevered platform. Wires from it connect to leads from an electric, weather- and wind-resistant mani chos 'khor mounted on the tank bag with velcro.

14Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:06 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Okay, so I googled 'mani chos 'khor, nice.

Now you need to google 'Sun hats - why should I wear one?'

15Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:50 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Suzi Q wrote:Now you need to google 'Sun hats - why should I wear one?'
Reason #7 seemed the most sensible but I was more attracted to #10.

16Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:02 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
Miniature thermoelectric generator black zip-tied to an eyebolt-mounted, cantilevered platform. Wires from it connect to leads from an electric, weather- and wind-resistant mani chos 'khor mounted on the tank bag with velcro.
I got well told off for accidently turning one of those backwards in a Himalayan monastry.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

17Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:27 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
How do you tell where the Nazi, white supremacist lives in Portland, Oregon?
what am i looking at? Prayer10
All of the Tibetan prayer flags are white.

18Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:38 pm

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:
All of the Tibetan prayer flags are white.
Looks like a long tenia for big assholes.

19Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:47 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
jbt wrote:
Two Wheels Better wrote:All of the Tibetan prayer flags are white.
Looks like a long tenia for big assholes.
That 'joke' of mine really is in poor taste, admittedly. However, may they enjoy long bouts on the loo in extreme discomfort.

20Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:24 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
An arabic proverbia says: May their ass itch and their arms shorten so they can't scratch.

21Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty More engine trouble :D Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:07 am

vividcolt

vividcolt
Following up on my last post. Thanks for all the great advice. I will be replacing the gas tank internals....

As I was trying to attempt to start the bike. The starter sounded weaker than usual, less consistent, and at times couldn't crank the engine. With the spark plugs removed, it was able to efficiently make full cranks. 

I just recently replaced the starter relay, I would assume that's not the issue. I do not know the reliability of the starter itself, but i am hoping that isn't something I need to replace lol. I wanna say the battery is near dead, even though I charged it last week, the amount of times I have tried starting the bike recently has probably done a number on it?

Additionally, the engine seems flooded, or gunked. I took a torch into each cylinder head trying to ignite most of the excess gunk and fuel, but I can't tell if the job was successful. Would dirty cylinder heads really play into my bike not starting?

I am also wondering how to stick an alan wrench into the airbox to remove it, so that I may access the rear end of the fuel line. Since replacing the line is probably easier than cleaning it. Although, to clean the gas tank, can I just soak it in SeaFoam? 

Should I just give up lol?....

22Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:05 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Bike batteries don't have huge amounts of reserve, so it might just be flat. Don't give up on it just yet. The starter usually either works or it doesn't - a starter going 'weak' is probs just the battery.
Charge it up and crank the engine with the plugs out. That should clear anything out of the cylinders.

I'd check those non-FI hoses before anything else though!

23Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:10 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
vividcolt wrote:I took a torch into each cylinder head trying to ignite most of the excess gunk and fuel, but I can't tell if the job was successful.
GAWDALMITEY You can just cut out doing that! OK? Use your oven for baking. Here are some ideas for cleaning the tank; vinegar is popular but there are many from which to choose. A torch will not be needed.Laughing

24Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:40 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
vividcolt wrote:I am also wondering how to stick an alan wrench into the airbox to remove it, so that I may access the rear end of the fuel line. Since replacing the line is probably easier than cleaning it.
Tools you will need and probably haven't got: a pair of longnose pliers (3-inch jaws) for replacing the rear left airbox clip and a Phillips head screwdriver with an 8-inch shank for removing the fuel pressure regulator

- Loosen the worm drive holding the airbox to the plenum chamber (forward, left - look down through the frame and you'll see it)
- Ping the three securing clips off the airbox with a screwdriver - two are easily visible on the right but the third one is at the back of the airbox to the inside of the throttle position sensor
-  The top half of the airbox and the filter should now come out
- It's a 6mm allen drive for the bottom of the airbox
- Do not lose or forget to reinstall the two big washers underneath the airbox (so saith BMW Very Happy )

You might be able to get the fuel pipes off at this point, but if they won't play ball:

- The fuel pressure regulator is not designed to come off the throttle body frame with the throttle bodies still on the bike, but it can be done
- Remove the front screw with the long screwdriver
- Rotate the FPR backwards and upwards to get the fuel pipes out of the way
- Note that the long screwdriver will still not fit squarely in the rear screw but with a bit of sideways pressure to keep it located the screw will come out.

Reverse for reassembly. Be prepared to swear a lot when trying to relocate the rear-left airbox clip.

25Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:01 pm

vividcolt

vividcolt
Laitch wrote:
vividcolt wrote:I took a torch into each cylinder head trying to ignite most of the excess gunk and fuel, but I can't tell if the job was successful.
GAWDALMITEY You can just cut out doing that! OK? Use your oven for baking. Here are some ideas for cleaning the tank; vinegar is popular but there are many from which to choose. A torch will not be needed.Laughing
Lol I can see the concern. I just heard someone say to try it with my head a little out of the way.

26Back to top Go down   what am i looking at? Empty Re: what am i looking at? Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:04 pm

vividcolt

vividcolt
Suzi Q wrote:Bike batteries don't have huge amounts of reserve, so it might just be flat. Don't give up on it just yet. The starter usually either works or it doesn't - a starter going 'weak' is probs just the battery.
Charge it up and crank the engine with the plugs out. That should clear anything out of the cylinders.

I'd check those non-FI hoses before anything else though!
What are the non-FI hoses? ... im taking notes..

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum