BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Introduction from Texas Empty Introduction from Texas Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:53 am

Retiredteacher

Retiredteacher
I am a semi-retired teacher of 39 years.  I teach biology part-time at the local community college.  I have been riding motorcycle since 1976 but the past few years I have only been riding off-road ATVs and UTVs (feel safer on mountain roads than paved no cell phone users to worry about). I have decided to come back to street riding. I have a couple of questions I will post later. My name is Peter Thank you for allowing me to join this group.
Retireteacher

Last edited by Retiredteacher on Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added name)

2Back to top Go down   Introduction from Texas Empty Re: Introduction from Texas Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:45 am

Bricklayer

Bricklayer
Silver member
Silver member
Howdy! My K100RS spent most its life in Austin. What are you riding?

https://anthonymrugacz.net/

3Back to top Go down   Introduction from Texas Empty Re: Introduction from Texas Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:38 pm

Arlina

Arlina
Welcome Peter Smile

4Back to top Go down   Introduction from Texas Empty Re: Introduction from Texas Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:44 pm

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
howdy Peter
Introduction from Texas 177912

'no cell phone users to worry about'
truer words were never spoken
Introduction from Texas 112350

Introduction from Texas 9438-010

5Back to top Go down   Introduction from Texas Empty Warm Welcome Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:56 pm

Retiredteacher

Retiredteacher
Thanks for the warm welcome into the group.  
1.  Presently I ride/drive a 2020 Polaris Ranger 1000 and I still ride a 1978 Honda K750 four.  I have owned the Honda since 1980.  It has a Vetter fairing and Calafia trunk. 
2.  The main reason I joined the group is to get some opinions on a BMW that I have been looking at to buy.  It is a 1985 K100rt with approximately 48K miles with all the maintenance records.  I have talked with numerous BMW mechanics around the country who are somewhat divided about the bike.  One mechanic even said that BMW is starting to stop making parts for older bikes (I guess they are following the Japanese thought if it is 10 years or older we don't work on them or make parts).  The motorcycle has all the fluids changed and fuel pump changed a couple of months ago. Price is 3500.  In your honest opinion would it be worth having.  There is an independent BMW mechanic in my hometown but we have never had a dealer.  I am a retired teacher, but I used to rebuild car engines and am not afraid to do my own mechanical work.
thanks for any help.
BTW riding the Polaris in the mountains of Northern New Mexico is a lot safer than riding on the street (no cell service so no cell distractions)

Also, if any of you are interested in custom built cars my wife's uncle was on the cover of Motor Trend in the early 50's.  You can Google "Warren Ford Shark"Warren Shark

Last edited by Retiredteacher on Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Interesting history)

6Back to top Go down   Introduction from Texas Empty Re: Introduction from Texas Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:53 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Introduction from Texas 177912

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

7Back to top Go down   Introduction from Texas Empty Re: Introduction from Texas Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:50 pm

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
the k100 is a car engine imo and you will enjoy working on it , they are great  Very Happy in the uk for a standard k100 to fetch a high price they would need to be very very good , show room condition

8Back to top Go down   Introduction from Texas Empty Re: Introduction from Texas Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:46 pm

Retiredteacher

Retiredteacher
Thanks for the reply. Attached is a picture Introduction from Texas Img_9411

9Back to top Go down   Introduction from Texas Empty Re: Introduction from Texas Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:16 am

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
cannot real say from a pic (other than side panels missing and tank maybe the wrong colour) take someone with you who knows the Ks well , there are some common problems to look out for .

10Back to top Go down   Introduction from Texas Empty Re: Introduction from Texas Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:09 pm

Retiredteacher

Retiredteacher
The person who has the motorcycle is a mechanic. He replaced all fluids and the fuel pump. He has too many motorcycles so is selling 2 of his BMWs.
Thanks for the reply.
Peter

11Back to top Go down   Introduction from Texas Empty Re: Introduction from Texas Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:58 pm

Bernie_K100

Bernie_K100
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi Peter,

Introduction from Texas 177912 to this forum!

Bernie

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum