BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
I just picked up a pair of the newer style coils as spares for my 2V 1985 K100RS. Should I be concerned with the highlighted areas on the right hand one? I did not see a photo of this prior to purchase. These are from a 1989K with 76K km.

I haven't been able to check resistance yet as the battery in my meter is dead, so that'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'll poke through the tech forum to see what those values are suppose to be, unless someone has them at hand.

It appears that the right hand one is split open and bulging, only at this location.

1985 K100RS. Newer style coil problem? Nuj1lj12

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Is that split piece a part of the coil, or a part of the bracket? If it's a part of the bracket, which I'm thinking it is, I wouldn't be really worried about it.

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
daveyson wrote:Is that split piece a part of the coil, or a part of the bracket? If it's a part of the bracket, which I'm thinking it is, I wouldn't be really worried about it.
That’s exactly what it is. It’s just part of the square bracket that goes around the coil.

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
I suggest that you don't worry in excess.
Check the coils of my winter dedicated K1 sidecar:

1985 K100RS. Newer style coil problem? 20230913

They work perfectly.

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
All done and dusted! The male spade connectors on the coils had to be cleaned with sandpaper, after which I sprayed them with contact cleaner and dielectric grease, as well as the the female connectors.

The only snag was that BMW saw fit to make the threaded holes on the brackets for mounting the coil cover a larger size, which sent me hunting for 4 larger screws and then drilling out the holes in the coil cover.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum