BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jumpinjimmy

jumpinjimmy
Silver member
Silver member
Hi, I've just replaced a broken wing mirror on my RS ($$$) and it came with a small clip that slips on to the back, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to fit the clip once the mirror is snapped into place (mirror case dismounted from bike, of course), and it seemed secure once on.  Of course, the mirror fell out yesterday when I hit a bump and tumbled into the grass.  I was able to recover it unbroken but would very much like for it to stay in place.  Any tips on how to use the clip that came with the mirror??  It's long, so obviously meant to be handled from a slight distance.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member
I had exactly the same problem on my RS and managed to fix this yesterday.

I was just going to go out and take a few pictures but Google is also your friend.

Take a look at this thread - the pictures tell the story and exactly what I did yesterday.

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=1164.0

You don't have to split the mirror you can also get the clip on once the indicator lens is removed but knowing what you have to do makes it easier.

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 60K Km     ;BMW;  K1100RS Black 1996       ;BMW; K1 Blue 1990 25K Miles

jumpinjimmy

jumpinjimmy
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks.  I figured it out this afternoon.  After having pushed the mirror back on, I had to pry it off again, which surprisingly was not easy to do.  With the lens off, I shined a flashlight through the hole to try and find the right spot to be working.  I then realised that the reflector tray for the turn signal turns up slightly on one end and that's where you slip the clip on.  It's then very cleverly held in place by the turn signal lens tab.  Ingenious, but a slip of paper with instructions would have saved a lot of trouble and the potential of my mirror smashing when it hit the asphalt last night (I got up at 7am to go back and find it.  amazingly, in the grass and not broken).

Last edited by jumpinjimmy on Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

jumpinjimmy

jumpinjimmy
Silver member
Silver member
And yes, you definitely don't have to split the pod to fix the clip.  Although I did actually try and it didn't seem to want to come apart so I assumed it shouldn't and looked for a better way.

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Last year I went through this same process.  One notable difference was my mirror fell to the pavement and didn't do well during the encounter.  This was, if I recall correctly, the day after I bought the thing! 
At time of purchase, I asked how it should be installed but was given no suggestion.  I subsequently discovered with my second purchase the mirror is secured on my 1985 K100RS with a spring wire that, with great effort, is slipped in place through a spot opened up after you remove the indicator's orange plastic cover.  It's now been in place for 10 k miles or so.
I don't understand the explanation of the mirror being held in place with a tab on the cover. 
On my particular bike the mirrors are rather useless, as I use the slightly wider K1100RS bar, which put my arms right in the line of sight. Sad 
I do like the better leverage of the later bars.  It makes handling that heavy beast easier.

Last edited by brickrider on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

jumpinjimmy

jumpinjimmy
Silver member
Silver member
The lens is held on by one screw but it also has a tab that fits under the edge of the mirror pod.  this tab pushes against the end of the spring clip that holds the mirror and keeps the clip from coming out of place.  My spring clip had this end slightly bent to fit against this tab.  I should have taken pictures.

jumpinjimmy

jumpinjimmy
Silver member
Silver member
here are a few photos to show what I'm talking about.  First photo shows where you slip in the clip behind the reflector tray and the second shows the tab on the lens that pushes against the clip to hold it in place.  Not great photos put I think you can see where I'm coming from.  Not necessary to split the pod to do this procedure.

problem fixing new mirror to 1985 k100RS Img_3810

problem fixing new mirror to 1985 k100RS Img_3811

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Rearside of the mirror:

problem fixing new mirror to 1985 k100RS 46632310

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
where did I throw those funny useless clips BMW put on my new mirrors...4 years ago Question  Shocked

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum