BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ian T

Ian T
Hi everyone 

It has been suggested that I start a thread on this epic journey, so here it is. I have already posted about the history of this bike here recently so I won’t do it again.

I have unpacked the boxes and laid all the festering, grimy mould riden contents on some racking, and I now have the engine, frame and gearbox back so I now have everything. 

Ha ha where to start  K75S - Restoration from boxes of mouldy bits 44271

Cheers

Ian

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Well you need to suss out if the engine and geaerbox need anything.

Methinks separate them and have a look at the clutch and rear main seal.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Piccies!!!!!!

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Ian T

Ian T
Hi

Everything already separated I tried for ages to load pics yesterday and I would not let me

I will try again today

Cheers

Ian

Ian T

Ian T
K75S - Restoration from boxes of mouldy bits 88c65410
K75S - Restoration from boxes of mouldy bits Img_4010
K75S - Restoration from boxes of mouldy bits Img_4011

Ian T

Ian T
K75S - Restoration from boxes of mouldy bits Img_1121
K75S - Restoration from boxes of mouldy bits Img_1122
K75S - Restoration from boxes of mouldy bits Img_1123

Ian T

Ian T
K75S - Restoration from boxes of mouldy bits Img_1124
K75S - Restoration from boxes of mouldy bits 007af610

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Well, 

That has to be the most complete set of parts I have seen together for a while.  It all looks quite promising.  

Firstly I would separate all the plastics and give them a clean (the red bits).  Then place on a shelf and forget about them till they are required.  

It looks like you may have a low seat version.  The handlebars are not the 75S version but look like RT bars.  Also the gearbox is sitting upside down.  It appears that everything has been disassembled in an orderly manner.  So that is positive so far.  

As others have suggested sort out the seals on the engine which is probably a good place to start.  I'll let others with more experience of building a K bike up from the ground guide you from here. A bit like building blocks but probably attack it in the following order:  
  • engine 
  • gearbox 
  • final drive 
  • frame & forks 
  • wheels & brakes 
  • electrical harness 
  • plastic & fairing bits 

You'll have to make up a frame to support it and the build all depends on what you have available.  

We have the technology* and if you provide lots of photos then we should have a runner on our hands.  A Haynes manual is your friend.  

*  Set to the tune from the TV show 6 Million Dollar Man.

9Back to top Go down   K75S - Restoration from boxes of mouldy bits Empty Good luck! Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:40 am

NealC

NealC
Wow, that looks impressive!  bounce

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
You're also in luck with the fuel tank being stripped. Chuck half a gallon of parafin in there and see if it leaks anywhere. If it does, you have the option of getting it welded (which is why I said parafin because it will come out with a strong degreaser), unlike the rest of us who have to resort to various resin solutions.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Ian T

Ian T
Thanks for such wonderful replies and guidance. I think it would be prudent here to paste my original post about the history of the bike. You can see I have had it a long time and it was pristine before I lent it out.
It was I who stripped it down, removed the paint from the tank, I was going to polish it up, started to but now decided on paint. It does have the usual leaking at the usual point so I am going to weld it up before paint.
I was quite meticulous in the stripping and laying out of all the parts but had to chuck it all in boxes due to the move. I have sort of laid it all out in trays just to try and bring some order to it.
Thanks for the advise and it is a good guide to follow. Luckily I have a new clutch to put in, I can’t remember if I did the rear seal before it was put away looks brand new and luckily the engine was the only bit that wasn’t stored in the festering container.
When I lent it out everything worked perfectly but I know I still have to test everything. Much cleaning now though as first steps  

Well it’s been a while, just getting back onto my K75s. Poor thing been very neglected, I lent it to a mate for about three years, don’t think he ever cleaned it once so it was in a right state when I got it back.  That was about three years ago. 

I stripped it totally down ready to start a good restoration, as I’ve had it about 14 years and love the thing. I had everything laid out on the racking in me garage. 

Then she declares she wants to move, well, one thing led to another and in the end it all got chucked into lots of transit boxes. I then put them round a mates place, who happened to run a bike repair and dealership. The lovely matey stuck it all in one of those great big forty foot metal containers and that’s where it has all sat for the last three years. Don’t think it was even opened. Well I’m sure you can imaging it is all further manky and mildewed etc from three years in a damp dripping container. I think I must be very very lucky indeed. “

Cheers

Ian
Oh yeh the bars you can see are C bars, picked them up along the way getting old don’t you know thought I may give them a try probably not. I have the S bars but they are hidden amongst that lot. Nice bit of spotting though.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum