BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty I knew... Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:00 pm

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, I knew I should not let the bike on its side stand in a light slope without a gear engaged...
Why the hell did I do it anyway?
I just could watch the bike slowly passing upon the stand and falling on the low wall edge.
The external fairing shows a light scar:
I knew... 20240413
But inside, it exploded the glove box...
I knew... 20240412
And the upper slot to the fairing support is broken also.
I knew... 20240411

Curiously, no other damage was made to the side panel, the mirror or the fairing comfort spoiler. Not even the indicator cracked.

Well. Anyway, I had to get the fairing resprayed, it had a dent in the front.
But i just had reattached it after changing the frame and the front light. Rolling Eyes
I'll change  it for a K100LT fairing with side air scoops, to try to lower temperature under the tank.

Oh! And the scenary from there was worth it!
I knew... Varian10

2Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:16 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Ouch!

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:33 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Ouch ouch!

I had a similar experience forty-four years ago with a Yamaha 250. I parked it on the sidestand, turned round and walked away. Within four steps and without looking I just knew it was falling over. Crunch. Big dent in the fuel tank. That was my introduction to Plastic Padding and learning how to spray paint properly.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

4Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:04 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
In your mind's eye, is it a never-ending, slow motion fall away, or a rapid wham, bam, no thank you, maam?

1977 R75/7-100, '93 K11/K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100 Mystic, '96 K1100RS, 2 x '98 K1200RS, '06 K1200R & '09 K1300GT. Projects: 1993 & '96 K1100RS, & one '98 K1200RS. The R100 Mystic, K11/12 Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K1200R & K1300GT are running, rego'd & ridable.

5Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:07 am

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
where was the view taken ?

6Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:12 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:In your mind's eye, is it a never-ending, slow motion fall away, or a rapid wham, bam, no thank you, maam?
You mean you've managed to get away with it for your entire life?!!!!!! I knew... 44271

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

7Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:36 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
I had a similar experience years ago.
I had bought a Yamaha 600 XT in Switzerland.
I had to get it inspected to register it in France. The bike was in a good condition, but the tank was dented and I was afraid that it makes the inspection fail. So I borrowed another tank in a perfect condition at a friends, that made me swear I'll look after it .
I attached the new tank, drove very carefully the 2 km from home to the inspection, and I passed successfully the inspection.
Then, to thank my friend, I decided to fill the tank to thank him, giving it back full of gasoline.
I stopped at a gas station, filled the tank, went to the shop to pay, and from the window, I saw the side stand slowly bend, bend, bend, then crack, and the XT felt down in that slow motion rythm, the tank slammed right on the edge of the pump basement.

It eventually cost me much more than 12 liters of gasoline...

8Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:39 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
firstle wrote:where was the view taken ?
From the Col de la Chambotte, in Savoie, France. The lake is the lac du Bourget.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/tPM7McrnWbz3nEmP6

9Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 am

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
jbt,

I can feel your pain.
I've been through that experience two weeks ago.
May your motorcycle get well soon.

PS
I must have been very close to that location on my way to Saint-Bonnet-le-Froid, Auvergne back in 2016. Coming from Geneva, we did not want to pass through Lyon and decided to take the path less travelled.

I knew... 9438-010

10Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:17 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Don't worry, there's no pain here. It's just annoying.
My daughter was sitting on the low wall at one meter from where the bike felt. It could have been much more painful if she was under the bike. But after all, the fairing would probably have been less damaged... Shocked
I bought yesterday a used fairing from a police bike, not in a perfect condition but with the two optionnal air vents with flaps. It will upgrade the cooling of the K1100LT.

11Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:44 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jbt wrote: It could have been much more painful if she was under the bike. But after all, the fairing would probably have been less damaged... 
Always looking at the bright side of life! cheers

12Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:21 pm

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
Anyway...I brought the new fairing to my painter, and it will be ready at the end of the week. The comfort spoiler will fit very tight with the scoops, but it will be OK.
A good lesson for 300€ and a lot of time spent on it again. Rolling Eyes
But it worths it, this K1100LT is the perfect bike from october to may...

13Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:40 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I believe that bikes, like humans, get tired. What do you do? Many of us find a nice place to have a lie down. My first K100, some 25 years ago, was looking a little dirty and needed a warm bath and dry off with a towel. The backyard was the scene of a wash and dry...nice grass which would benefit an extra watering, multi tasking, watering the grass and washing the bike. All went well with the bike on the centre stand and I was in the process of putting the bucket and sponge back in the garage. Out of the corner of my eye I see the bike, in slow motion, leaning over and gently lying down for a sleep.
By the time I turned and ran to this 270 kilo beast it was too late. A bike on wet grass, centre or side stand, is not a good idea. It was a basic bike...no fairing and a round headlight. A pannier cushioned the very gentle descent and no damage.......lucky.

14Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:11 am

redrockmania

redrockmania
Silver member
Silver member
Now Stan - If your K has been lying down to have a sleep, first check it has not been associating with. Triumph Tiger. They are notorious for lying down for a sleep.

15Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:43 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
What a dreadful thought. Triumphs are those creatures that have what is known as a progressive oil change. You just fill them up as they mark their territory. I knew... 652573

16Back to top Go down   I knew... Empty Re: I knew... Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:46 pm

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
Stan wrote:Triumphs are those creatures that have what is known as a progressive oil change.
Were, Stan, were.
I can't help admiring your memory.

I  guess you do refer to those Triumphs built in Meriden after 1942 becaused the original factory was destroyed in the 'Coventry Blitz' from Sep 1940 to May 1941. They somehow managed to recover some tooling and machinery from the devastated site.
I don't feel too sorry for the fact that production stopped on Aug 23, 1983.

John Bloor OBE bought the name and manufacturing rights from the Official Receiver and started from scratch in Hinckley after 1991.

A Speed Triple 955i and a Daytona 955i - both built in Hinckley - have been in my possession for the last 20 years. Not a single drop of oil, no marking of territory at all.
Thank you, Mr. Bloor, Sir, for these very fine, triple engined machines. I knew... 112350

and now for something completely different:
BTT

I knew... 9438-010

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum