BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty No Spark Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:58 am

naut023

naut023
I have a dead coil, so I replaced both with https://www.munichmotorcycles.com.au/product/ignition-coil-kit-aftermarket-new-style/ which I believe is out of a Ford Focus. Comes with HT leads and instructions on how to wire.

Seemed a pretty simple job, even for someone of my meager skills. But since the change I haven't been able to get any spark. Power is getting to the coil ok, but the plugs aren't sparking at all. It was running (very badly) prior to starting the job.

It's got me stumped, there doesn't seem that much that could go wrong. Starter motor is cranking away happily and fuel pump is doing it's thing. I have been through all trouble shooting flow charts and nothing stands out. The only thing I can think is that the ignition module has chosen this exact moment to dies, but that seems unlikely. Or maybe the relay died?

Suggestions?

Last edited by naut023 on Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding more info)

2Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty Re: No Spark Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:39 pm

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
First thing for me refit the good coil check for spark. That way you have a starting point for a solution.if the old coil works, new coils not suitable. if old coil not work check wiring. KISS is always best. Very Happy Very Happy

3Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty No spark Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:57 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Another possibility (I guess Munich motorcycles wouldn't sell them for bricks if they weren't suitable) You could ask how many of these new ones they've sold and ask for help.

So if the coils are good but there's no output, there's something wrong with the inputs. How have you wired them up? Can you post a photo of the instructions?

4Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty Re: No Spark Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:53 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
They are suitable for all the motronic systems with the ignition amplifier.....as they are 0.5 ohm primary coils 

Seen a few use these on k100 cafe builds 

Not my first choise  for a happy ignition system on the old ones
 In any case sounds like a really bad earth on the ignition computer.

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty Re: No Spark Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:52 pm

naut023

naut023
moriarti wrote:First thing for me refit the good coil check for spark. That way you have a starting point for a solution.if the old coil works, new coils not suitable. if old coil not work check wiring. KISS is always best. Very Happy Very Happy

Yeah I was thinking of heading down this path, but was dreading redoing all the connectors. But I only need to use the one good coil and 1 good lead I have which is much easier. Great tip, much less an intimidating job.

6Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty Re: No Spark Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:56 pm

naut023

naut023
daveyson wrote:Another possibility (I guess Munich motorcycles wouldn't sell them for bricks if they weren't suitable) You could ask how many of these new ones they've sold and ask for help.

So if the coils are good but there's no output, there's something wrong with the inputs. How have you wired them up? Can you post a photo of the instructions?
Yeah, I nearly rang them yesterday and if I don't get anywhere I will definitely give them a call.

Wiring is very simple, just the 3 wires and you don't use the ground. I don't have a picture, but this is the set-up (they provide a connector).

No Spark Coil10

Last edited by naut023 on Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

7Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty Re: No Spark Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:58 pm

naut023

naut023
charlie99 wrote:They are suitable for all the motronic systems with the ignition amplifier.....as they are 0.5 ohm primary coils 

Not my first choise  for a happy ignition system on the old ones
 In any case sounds like a really bad earth on the ignition computer.

Hard to get genuine coils these days and then no guarantee they won't have the same issue after a couple of months. 

I will double check the earth on the Ignition module, but I am pretty sure I cleaned that a few weeks ago.

8Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty No spark Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
I'd be considering a refund, especially after reading Charlie's post.

Your coils have black plug terminals I think, they're known for failing. 1986 and on are okay. Where abouts in Melbourne are you?

9Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty Re: No Spark Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:15 am

naut023

naut023
daveyson wrote:I'd be considering a refund, especially after reading Charlie's post.

Your coils have black plug terminals I think, they're known for failing. 1986 and on are okay. Where abouts in Melbourne are you?

I think they should be working fine and should be compatible, wondering if its maybe a plug issue.

The bike is in Pakenham (and sometimes I am too Smile).

10Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty No spark Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:01 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
What's the part number and brand?

There was a recent thread with coil's that look like yours, which makes me think that when you get the problem sorted, the next problem might be that the tacho is out of whack.

11Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty Re: No Spark Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:54 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:

This is clearly not a proof of quality.
Are you sure it's the coil the problem?
They seldom fail, the most common issues about ignition are cause by the hall effect sensor aging and/or a dumb wiring "simplified" to insert crappy magic boxes.

12Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty Re: No Spark Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:57 am

naut023

naut023
daveyson wrote:What's the part number and brand?

There was a recent thread with coil's that look like yours, which makes me think that when you get the problem sorted, the next problem might be that the tacho is out of whack.

The part number of the new one? I don't know, but I think it comes out of a Ford Focus. 

I read the other thread and he has implemented a similar solution. I wondered with the tacho issue if that was because there are two wires for cylinders 1 + 4. Unfortunately I haven't got far enough to experience his issue.

13Back to top Go down   No Spark Empty Re: No Spark Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:00 am

naut023

naut023
jbt wrote:
charlie99 wrote:

This is clearly not a proof of quality.
Are you sure it's the coil the problem?
They seldom fail, the most common issues about ignition are cause by the hall effect sensor aging and/or a dumb wiring "simplified"  to insert crappy magic boxes.

I know 1 of the original coils had died and 3 of the original HT leads are operating out of spec probably due to age. 

I don't know if the new coil is faulty, the testing I have done suggests it is ok. I am concerned something like the hall effect sensor has chosen this exact moment to fail.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum