BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   turn signal Empty turn signal Sat May 25, 2024 8:04 pm

caveman

caveman
Life time member
Life time member
Ok I'm being lazy! My left turn signal is lighting up in the lunch box but nothing front or rear blinking. This is on my 75T low seat. i want to use it tomorrow to give a guy wanting to start riding on the street at 45 years old some help learning how not to be a statistic. The right turn works as it should, is it just a bulb?

2Back to top Go down   turn signal Empty Re: turn signal Sat May 25, 2024 8:41 pm

Bricklayer

Bricklayer
Silver member
Silver member
Sadly your friend has a good chance of becoming statistic unless he enrolls in a proper motorcycle training course for beginners.

Here is the website for your area for a MSF Course.

In Texas where I taught the course foor 10 years, the statistics showed that motorcyclists involved in accidents were at a rate ten times (10x) higher than those who completed a MSF Course.

SOAP BOX MODE OFF.

In regards to the indicator bulbs it may just be corrosion in the bulb socket and/or connectors. Cotton swabs, vinegar or WD40 will work in a pinch.

https://anthonymrugacz.net/

3Back to top Go down   turn signal Empty Re: turn signal Sat May 25, 2024 8:55 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
If one or both bulbs are out then it should be hyperflashing.

A K75 is not a good bike for a first ride. Somewhat heavy and not very forgiving for a noob.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   turn signal Empty Re: turn signal Sat May 25, 2024 9:01 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Bricklayer wrote:In Texas where I taught the course foor 10 years, the statistics showed that motorcyclists involved in accidents were at a rate ten times (10x) higher than those who completed a MSF Course.

I wish I'd known about the MSF when I started. I didn't even have anyone to teach me. When I got my first bike, a beater KZ750, the guy who sold it to me explained 1 down, 4-up and where the clutch was. Then I hopped on the freeway and rode it home.

I did ride a 49cc scoot for a year or so in college so I wasn't totally new to riding but the clutch part was new and I just transferred what I knew about car clutches.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

5Back to top Go down   turn signal Empty Re: turn signal Sat May 25, 2024 9:07 pm

caveman

caveman
Life time member
Life time member
Easy follows, He will start on the 250 honda rebel. He is 6' + and over 200lbs a brick mason by trade. He rode dirt bikes when younger so it will not be long before he will be able to move up a bit. Lets face it the MFS course is why we have the satistices we have.

6Back to top Go down   turn signal Empty Re: turn signal Sat May 25, 2024 10:08 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
caveman wrote:He rode dirt bikes when younger

Easy peasy since he already knows how to clutch.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

7Back to top Go down   turn signal Empty Turn signal Mon May 27, 2024 10:15 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
A couple of easy checks. If the horn also doesn't work properly, or if the hazards also don't work properly, that could help to narrow down the problem, such as a poor earth downstream, or a weak power supply upstream (like fuse 7) depending on the symptoms.

For example if the hazards work but the horn doesn't, what the horn and left turn signals have in common is earth. The right turn signals have a separate path to earth, which could explain why the right turn signals work, but not the left.

8Back to top Go down   turn signal Empty SHORT Tue May 28, 2024 6:25 am

caveman

caveman
Life time member
Life time member
Turns out there is a short (more like very low resistance it's pulling 11 amps with only having 200 mv at light) in the front part of wiring harness. I think it is time to get in there and give the whole harness a good going over.

The riding practice went well. Lesson one was going over the bike and making sure everything is in good working order. He rode the rebel, was good bike to work on clutch "friction zone". With in a hour he was able to control speed with the revs up some using brake and clutch. I needed that same time to get some of the rust off myself, this was the first time I've been on a bike since last year. Turns out he had spent time reading and watching videos on safely riding so he liked practicing that stuff doing some real riding. He signed up for the Pa. MSF course but it is a bit backed up so the first date he could get is at the end of August. I tried to get him to take the rebel home and practice on his own but he was uncomfortable to do so, I hope he doesn't buy a bike too soon, He is looking at adventure bikes.

9Back to top Go down   turn signal Empty Re: turn signal Tue May 28, 2024 6:34 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
My initial reaction to the possibility of a short is to check the wiring harness where it runs passed the stearing head. If your bike has a fairing on it, the wiring harness can and will fail where it rubs against the fairing spider.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

10Back to top Go down   turn signal Empty Re: turn signal Tue May 28, 2024 6:43 am

caveman

caveman
Life time member
Life time member
It's a 75t low seat (that is why I think it would make a good next step bike for a big man returning to riding) but it will not surprise me if the problem is in or around the round headlight bucket.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum