BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Battery Isolator Switch. Empty Battery Isolator Switch. Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:00 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
On a group ride my bike suffered a total electrical failure, the bike just cut out. The K Kronies sprang into action and after switching the ignition switch and kill switch on and off I turned the isolator switch on and off and the system sprang to life again. It behaved it self for quite a while but I did order another switch as a back up. It then played up a couple more times but it was an easy fix just turn the switch on and off a couple of times. Yesterday I decided to fit the new switch. An easy swap and once done I decided to pull apart the old switch and see what the problem was. Once apart there was very little to see the arrows point to a tiny bit of arcing and a little bit of discolourization.

Battery Isolator Switch. 20240610

2Back to top Go down   Battery Isolator Switch. Empty Re: Battery Isolator Switch. Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:31 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
So... fixable?

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Battery Isolator Switch. Empty Re: Battery Isolator Switch. Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:50 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Dai already cleaned up and ready to bolt back together. I might use electrical contact grease on reassembly. However it might be another 15 years before I need it.
Regards Martin.

4Back to top Go down   Battery Isolator Switch. Empty K75 with same problem Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:29 am

Kim Hunter

Kim Hunter
My K75 was suffering the same problem of cutting out. and turning key of then back on (or kill switch) it would start up again.

From this forum, advice was ignition switch needing cleaning. when I took the switch out to clean it I found it to be in good condition. I still cleaned it.
Bike went ok for about 300km with no problems but then started cutting out again.

Further investigation, I found the igniting box had the rubber cover partially dislodged. As I touched the plug came fully disconnected.

Now I have pushed that back and cable tied it to prevent any future unwanted movement.

I have not been able to go on any test rides as I have had surgery to do hernia repair. it will be some time before I am able to ride.

5Back to top Go down   Battery Isolator Switch. Empty Re: Battery Isolator Switch. Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:43 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Kim the isolator switch is an aftermarket addition. Bricks can have a problem when you have low battery voltage and the relay points stick and the starter just keeps cranking over until it is totally exhausted. Turning off the kill switch or ignition switch will not stop it. The first time it happened to me was just after I bought the bike. I tried switching ignition and kill switches and it just kept cranking until it blew the side out of the battery. The end result was acid everywhere, luckily I had access to water and was able to dowse both the bike and myself. This seems to be at the upper end of the problem I don't think anybody else has had that happen  The best  way most owners have found is to disconnect the earth lead from the transmission. Owners have come up with various methods of doing this. I fitted a Narva isolation switch in the earth lead behind the lefthand side cover. 
Regards Martin.
Battery Isolator Switch. Narva_14
Battery Isolator Switch. Narva_15

6Back to top Go down   Battery Isolator Switch. Empty Re: Battery Isolator Switch. Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:22 am

Porto

Porto
Silver member
Silver member
Great idea. I made a new earth lead using a large spade fuse. Works great, easy to pull and refit. Also creates an excellent point for checking current draw. Found some picks. Battery Isolator Switch. 20240311
Battery Isolator Switch. 20240312
Battery Isolator Switch. 20240310

7Back to top Go down   Battery Isolator Switch. Empty Re: Battery Isolator Switch. Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:12 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Make sure that you are carrying a spare fuse or two somewhere on yourself or the bike. I have seen the terminals and the fuse link pull out of the fuse housing on a few occasions.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

8Back to top Go down   Battery Isolator Switch. Empty Re: Battery Isolator Switch. Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:18 am

Porto

Porto
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Dai. It's one of those huge 40amp large spade jobs. I soldered the ring ends on myself, I will have passed on before they let go. But yes I always had a concern over the manufacturers work at the spade holder. I keep the original ground cable with me on the bike just in case.

9Back to top Go down   Battery Isolator Switch. Empty Re: Battery Isolator Switch. Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:39 pm

ArtK

ArtK
I am unfamiliar with the concept of an isolator switch. I see that it is aftermarket. Is it's purpose to cut all electricity in the event that no other OEM switch stops an undesired electrical event? Is it also used to obviate the need for disconnecting the battery for an electrical repair? Any other uses? Are the switch and the fuse in the battery ground wire two different solutions to the same problem? Thanks

10Back to top Go down   Battery Isolator Switch. Empty Re: Battery Isolator Switch. Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:29 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
The primary job of the isolator switch is to cut power when the relay sticks due to low battery voltage. It can also be used to cut power when working on the electrical system. And it can be used as a security measure as the power can be switched off and the red key removed.
Regards Martin.

11Back to top Go down   Battery Isolator Switch. Empty Re: Battery Isolator Switch. Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:20 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Here's my quick disconnect. M6 knob. Allows ground disconnect without tools if starter relay sticks.

Battery Isolator Switch. CA5Y801

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

12Back to top Go down   Battery Isolator Switch. Empty Re: Battery Isolator Switch. Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:44 am

Porto

Porto
Silver member
Silver member
That's a good idea 💡 looks like most of us have come up with our own way of easily disconnecting the negative.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum