BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   New to K bikes & the forum Empty New to K bikes & the forum Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:02 am

redman

redman
Hi there, my name is Kris but most everyone calls me Red. I'm in Westfield, MA in the USA. I've been riding for about 16 years & have had a variety of bikes. My first was a 1980 Honda CM400T which I received in trade for a ticket to see Primus & Mike Watt at Red Rocks in Colorado. I rode that bike all over Summit County & the Front Range back in 1995.

Shortly after that, I picked up a 1987 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer aka: the Mini-Max due to it's resemblance to the V-Max. I rode that until 1999 or so but it just din't hold enough fuel.

In the fall of 1999, I bought my first new bike, a 1999 Buell M2 Cylcone in Molten Orange. This bike was the biggest lump of crap to roll out of York, PA ever. But I loved it! By far my favorite bike to date. I'd still like to pick a 95 S2 or 96 S2T which were made with stock SPorty engines. The 99 had the thunderstorm heads which bumped compression & maybe a couple of other differences but I can't remember. Anyway, I rode the snot out of that M2 but always carried quite a few tools, a spare voltage regulator, random nuts & bolts & an exhaust clamp or two.

Along side the Buell I ended up with a 97 VFR750. I took the bus to Columbus, OH to pick it up then rode it home. The next morning I went down approaching a stop sign because of 1/4" freshly cut grass on the approach to the stop. The ins. company totaled the bike, I bought it & fixed it, rode it for a while then sold it & made about $500 on the deal.

I also sold the Buell at the same time as the VFR & got a KTM LC4 640. It had a 36"ish seat height. I am 5'5" with a 28" inseam on a good day. That thing was way too big but wow, could it corner. What a beast. (There was an SV650 in there somehwere, too. The intention was to make it a rack bike but that never happened) I sold that a couple of years back & have been motorcycleless until last week when an 85 K100RS showed up on Craigslist in my area.

So here I am, learning to ride the K-Beast. Easily the biggest bike I've ever ridden. Trying to adjust to it from the memory of the other sportier bikes is a bit of a chore so far. That & my skills are rusty!

I have a few things to do to it but my main concern is the waterpump/oilpump seals right now. After that, I may have to mess with the suspension. Any suggestions?

Looking forward to learning & sharing on this forum!

Red

2Back to top Go down   New to K bikes & the forum Empty Re: New to K bikes & the forum Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:21 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
welcome. The 100rs is a tall bike even for me and I am 6'. My new K1200RS seat is inches lower to the point that I need to make adjustments else I feel cramped.
Anyway this is the place for all your moral, spiritual, bike, mechanical and whatever BMW needs you have... within a limit of our abilities that is SmileSmile

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

3Back to top Go down   New to K bikes & the forum Empty Re: New to K bikes & the forum Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:02 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi Kris [Red],
Welcome, we all learn as we go along and what support we can give we will.

BIG D

4Back to top Go down   New to K bikes & the forum Empty Re: New to K bikes & the forum Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:44 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Welcome Redman

5Back to top Go down   New to K bikes & the forum Empty Re: New to K bikes & the forum Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
I like your taste in bikes. VFR's are fantastic do everything machines!
Welcome aboard Red.

OG

6Back to top Go down   New to K bikes & the forum Empty Re: New to K bikes & the forum Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:28 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Red,
Great to have you on board and look forward to seeing some riding stories from the last 16 years.
Regards,
K-BIKE

7Back to top Go down   New to K bikes & the forum Empty Re: New to K bikes & the forum Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:46 am

Ned wrote:My new K1200RS seat is inches lower to the point that I need to make adjustments else I feel cramped.

@ Ned, you know that the footpegs and seat height are adjustable on that Mighty K12 you've just bought as, of course, is the handlebar arrangement with those aftermarket 'bar backs'?

8Back to top Go down   New to K bikes & the forum Empty Re: New to K bikes & the forum Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:56 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:
Ned wrote:My new K1200RS seat is inches lower to the point that I need to make adjustments else I feel cramped.

@ Ned, you know that the footpegs and seat height are adjustable on that Mighty K12 you've just bought as, of course, is the handlebar arrangement with those aftermarket 'bar backs'?

yes, but I am yet to do all of that. The PO is about 5'6" and I am around 6'1" ... will do it this weekend Smile

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

9Back to top Go down   New to K bikes & the forum Empty Re: New to K bikes & the forum Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:57 pm

iiXioM

The VFR's are fun bikes! I miss riding my friend's bike. It was fun. Glad you didn't lose any dinero with the wipe out.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum