BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   First gear shudder Empty First gear shudder Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:48 pm

bmwk1

Hi, I have a k100rs 1990, problem im having is when the bike is cold in first gear on take off the driveshaft/swingarm does some serious shuddering, when the bike is warmed up its gone, which is about five miles ive tested it recently start/stopping, ive taken out the rear drive shaft to check the universal joint but all is perfect, any advice greatly appreciated. Michael

2Back to top Go down   First gear shudder Empty Re: First gear shudder Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:24 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I'd start by having a look at the clutch to see if it is adjusted to specs and the cable is in good nick.

The shudder on take-off disappears after about five miles of riding?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   First gear shudder Empty Re: First gear shudder Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:19 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi I had a similar thing with k75 after I trailered it for 600 miles, I could here the drive shaft clunk when I pushed it not running but after we rode it went away. it was a new universal.

Brian

4Back to top Go down   First gear shudder Empty Re: First gear shudder Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:53 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
First thing I would do is check out the clutch as it is very indicitave of a worn clutch plate and pressure plate.
Check the adjustments first but I reckon you will find a worn plate or possibly the spring diaphram may be losing some tension.

5Back to top Go down   First gear shudder Empty Re: First gear shudder Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:20 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
whilst doing the clutch adjustment thingy .....just check that the clutch arm (back of the gearbox ) isnt tight , is free to moove .

a few folks have found this to be almost siezed .. and i just wonder if this might be a contributing factor .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   First gear shudder Empty Re: First gear shudder Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:22 am

bmwk1

Hi guys thanks for the advice well I checked the clutch cable tension I was able to take the cable off the arm at the back of the gearbox without slackening the cable, Ive tightened the cable now although not perfect the level of shudder is minimal and I can live with it thanks again. Michael

7Back to top Go down   First gear shudder Empty Re: First gear shudder Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:20 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
You did check the free arm operation and adjusted the clutch correctly (first 75mm at the arm, measured over the cable, and then 2-4 mm at the handle)?

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland First gear shudder Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

8Back to top Go down   First gear shudder Empty Re: First gear shudder Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:50 am

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, it is very important to adjust the cable as per Rene´s advise, otherwise you are risking the rubber boot´s integrity. This may cause oil leaks and contamination to the push rod mechanism.
Best regards
JAP

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum