BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Blowing Exhaust Empty Blowing Exhaust Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:21 am

bmwk1

Hi, I have an exhaust leak on my k100rs 1990, its in the middle where the four pipes join into one unfortunately its position does not allow me to weld it, ive tried chemical metal to block the gaps between the four pipes, also used gun gum none work after the pipe heats up products mentioned flake off any ideas greatly appreciated. Michael

2Back to top Go down   Blowing Exhaust Empty Re: Blowing Exhaust Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:19 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi there,
Just a thought if you can get gun gum onto it how about trying brazing it after water blasting all traces of gun gum and carbonised glue away. Plenty of flux lots of heat and flow the rod in there with an oxy acetylene torch.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   Blowing Exhaust Empty Re: Blowing Exhaust Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:24 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, did you disassembled the system? I think it's the easiest way to clean and access for welding / brazing. The four pipes are clamped to the silencer.
Best regards
JAP

4Back to top Go down   Blowing Exhaust Empty Re: Blowing Exhaust Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:23 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
With my 1990 K100 RS the pipes are fully welded into the silencer from new, they can sometimes crack as bmwk1 has experienced. I know my friend successfully brazed his up.
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   Blowing Exhaust Empty Re: Blowing Exhaust Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:08 am

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
K-BIKE wrote:With my 1990 K100 RS the pipes are fully welded into the silencer from new, they can sometimes crack as bmwk1 has experienced. I know my friend successfully brazed his up.
Regards,
K-BIKE
Yes they changed the design for the 16v, thanks for the tip K.
In my opinion the original design is better, as the clamped pipes in the muffler releases the header from most of the mounting and heat stress. And no cracks at the joints
Best regards
JAP

6Back to top Go down   Blowing Exhaust Empty Re: Blowing Exhaust Thu May 05, 2011 11:27 pm

IPJ100

IPJ100
Silver member
Silver member
Does the blowing impair performance?? or does it sound greaat? if so i would do nothing unless it's causing a problem or anoying the neighbours..unless you want to..

Ian

7Back to top Go down   Blowing Exhaust Empty Re: Blowing Exhaust Fri May 06, 2011 12:00 am

elle

elle
Silver member
Silver member
hi have you tried " fix-it" from wilkos etc the one thats on tv. works!! had a crack in silencer where heatshield mounts used it to fill and secure new nut holder. At 5 mins the whole end can was being moved by just pulling on nut holder. No blow now, engine stalls when end can blocked. Honestly wouldnt have believed it but wife " convinced me" to try it before forking out for stainless weld by in my opinion an idiot who wanted £25 ph. pete

8Back to top Go down   Blowing Exhaust Empty Re: Blowing Exhaust Sat May 07, 2011 11:15 pm

wedge

Anyone that can weld stainless with any degree of skill charges more than £25 an hour so I have to agree with your idiot assumption.

9Back to top Go down   Blowing Exhaust Empty TIG welder...well, I married one Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:21 am

Ace Handler

Ace Handler
elle wrote:hi have you tried " fix-it" from wilkos etc the one thats on tv. works!! had a crack in silencer where heatshield mounts used it to fill and secure new nut holder. At 5 mins the whole end can was being moved by just pulling on nut holder. No blow now, engine stalls when end can blocked. Honestly wouldnt have believed it but wife " convinced me" to try it before forking out for stainless weld by in my opinion an idiot who wanted £25 ph.    pete

Old thread I realize, and products come and go, but elle if you could, would you please elucidate about this product "fix-it"?  Duck duck go has no idea what you are on about (lol!).  I did marry an excellent TIG welder (we met in welding school) but I don't have access to welding equipment at this present juncture (and I'm lazy).  I'd love to use some goopy goop and just 'gob it in there'.

Wilkos wasn't ever on my TV ;-)

10Back to top Go down   Blowing Exhaust Empty Re: Blowing Exhaust Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:53 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
IPJ100 wrote:Does the blowing impair performance?? or does it sound greaat? if so i would do nothing unless it's causing a problem or anoying the neighbours..unless you want to..

Ian
one blown pipe usually sound like shit, not great.  On top of that, it leads to burnt exhaust valves if left untreated.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Blowing Exhaust K-dogs10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum