BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:14 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Evening all, yet another question from me...

What are the possible causes of missing a gear when changing up, and for it to appear to go into a neutral gear? Is it potentially an operator error or could a worn clutch cable be responsible?

I am going to be replacing the original clutch cable as it has seen better days and has worn through the plastic sheathing... I also need to replace the Rubber seal (one the gear lever connects to on the transmission) as it has a tear in it and was causing a leak of oil, incedentially the oil was very thick when i drained it out is this normal?

2Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:34 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
twincarb...i used to have the same issue , till i started making a more positive gear change . but a binding clutch actuator /tight cable might also contribute to this i guess . there is a corect measurement and adjustment proceedure in the forum here , but some have found the pivot lever to be ceased or "tight" , i have seen grease nipple mods to the pivot bearing from some members also.

3Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:41 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Charlie, i was riding to work this evening and thinking about it, because i know i can do clutchless gear changes on my Yamaha but know not to do them on the K.

Which made me wonder about it being operator error.... the pivot lever is nice and loose and moves freely, when I put on the new cable and boot on will monitor it...

extra neutrals in gearbox... 169042extra neutrals in gearbox... 169034

4Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:11 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
oops hang on twincarb ....the lever i was talking about is the clutch actuator lever at the back of the gearbox (connects the clutch cable to the push rod ), it cantilevers on a small bearing and spigot .

some have found that it binds up with age and because of where it is ,,,,some have even gone so far as to add a piece of plastic, whatever to protect it from road grime as there is a gap between where the guard ends and the swingarm so as to keep dirt and stuff off that area

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
You don't want to be halfhearted with gear changes. Give it a good solid boot. Also you may need to adjust the gear lever so that you don't need to lift your foot from the footrest to operate it. The gear lever on mine was slightly bent inwards towards the gearbox and when I tried to move it down a spline to suit my foot position it would hit the exhaust when changing down. Being aluminium, and not having a spare, I was reluctant to try bending it back out in case I broke it. I would occasionally get false neutrals if I was not concentrating on what I was doing. Last week I bought another bike, an 87 K100LT with a dodgy engine. It had a gear lever from a K1100 on it which has a large outward bend in it, so it is well clear of the exhaust pipes. I fitted this on the splines at the angle which suited me, and I now find it much easier to change gear without hitting false neutrals.

6Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:27 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
[quote="twincarb"]Thanks Charlie, i was riding to work this evening and thinking about it, because i know i can do clutchless gear changes on my Yamaha but know not to do them on the K.
quote]

I busted a clutch cable on the RS a couple of months back while riding in town. Was fortunate I did not have to stop at an intersection and was able to ride the 10 kms home. I can confirm you can shift gears up and down without activating the clutch. Not pretty, but do-able.

Try slightly preloading your shift lever prior to shifting. It gives a faster, more positive shift. A halfhearted shifting effort will reward you with a 'fail' (false neutral).

7Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:26 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks club c, It is of course getting used to different gearbox's at the end of the day... no different to swapping cars etc...

Fingers crossed i should have the bike back together again in a couple of weeks once the clean and painting is all complete.

I dont think the bike had a proper clean over the last 10 years the amount of ingrained dirt grease and oil thats in evidence, am glad to be turning a rat back into a bike to be proud of, mind you I wouldnt want to park up next to Oldgoat he will put it to shame lol

8Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:40 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
HI , I have had good luck using a method of shifting that I found on the moa forum, pull up slightly to "pre-load" the shifter, and as you pull in the clutch keep going into gear , works great up shifting , not so good going down , but thats less of a problem anyway,let us know how it goes for you.

Brian

9Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:52 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Make sure you go over EVERY electrical connection with DeoxIt while it's apart. #1 cause of electrical issues is corroded/dirty contacts. There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over...

10Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:37 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I am going to bring the whole loom into work next week as there are a couple of wires that i had made a temporary repair on, and prob going to replace them properly.

just ordering some deoxit now.... I love it when work is quiet hehe Very Happy

11Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:41 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
You may regret pulling the loom completely out, it's like a map, you can never fold it the same way again. You may have difficulty re assembling it the same/correct way (ask me how I know...)

12Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Dust off your digital camera.

Inge K.

13Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:04 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
looms can be a pain to work on, I have got a board here in work which i will pin the loom to and then start the disection on, the idea being that the shape of the loom isnt changed which is the problem when doing it loose.

Damn company internet... the cheapest place to order online... and the coding won't run! hmmmm have to wait till the morning to order Deoxit at home...

I have got lots of shots at the moment of the strip down.... I am hopefully going to get a bit of time to sort the photo's out and get my restoration thread to the point where i am.... So should be able to show off the new paint job before the bits go on the bike....

14Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:02 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
twincarb wrote:I have got lots of shots at the moment of the strip down....

So did I... Trouble is some of the multiplugs look the same and you need to carefully note the wire colors. If you're careful and thorough you may reduce the pain somewhat... but I bet you will be wondering about a few of those connections before you're done...

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

15Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:13 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I have a sneaking suspission that you maybe right.... and that I should have used tape to label the connectors with where they are going!....

I have got a large chunk of leave in september so am aiming to get the bike back on the road by then.... hope I dont get in trouble for not doing work on the house instead hehe!

16Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:50 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lol the house will still be there in 40 years twincarb ....but your legs may be a bit... um ...over riding the bike by then ,.....i say ..go ride and play with the bike mate ,,,,cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

17Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:52 am

beemerperth

beemerperth
maybe try a gearbox flush - either use a synthetic gearbox oil (like Nulon 75-85 ??) and change a few times or a gearbox flushing agent (I think Mainlube do one) and then replace with normal oil with your weapon of choice. My '86 K100RS has responded well - just changed the oil with BM220 and shifting well. Not saying it is your fix but might save a lot of effort and expensive - maybe. Mark

K100RS, R100S, R1200GS

18Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:52 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
The gearbox is on the bench at the moment, waiting for me to put it back on the bike, everything looked good inside when i had it open going to be putting standard BMW oil into it and see how it all responds, bike is going to be off the road for a couple more weeks while i get the bits blasted and powdercoated, hoping to get the bike on the road b4 i get sent to the falklands for 4 months!

19Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:39 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ouch ...!!! the falklands ?....lucky its kinda heading towards summer down this side of the equator

good luck twincarb

20Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:38 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
yeah, be down for the summer period, shame i wont have a bike out there at all!

Will find out in 10 days for sure if i am going..,.

21Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:48 pm

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
you could rather use a 75/149 Synthetic Gear oil, I have used this oil in my box for the past 2 years, gear box has been smooth as silk since.
BMW don't make any oils(not to my knowledge), it is one of their chosen oil suppliers products.

22Back to top Go down   extra neutrals in gearbox... Empty Re: extra neutrals in gearbox... Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:51 pm

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Smile correction it should read 75/140 Synthetic Gear Oil, easily found on flea bay

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum