BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Seattle K-Biker Empty Seattle K-Biker Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:13 pm

91k100rs

Greetings! I just got my first bike - its a '91 K100RS 4-valve with 50K miles. I just returned from a 3000 mile trip - me and the bike made it!

On the second to last day of the trip something happened with the bike - it developed an oil leak and its making a knocking noise at idle. It rides just fine out on the highway - power and fuel economy are unchanged. It didn't loose much oil - I kept a close eye on it. Temps normal. The sound changes when the clutch is pulled (with bike in neutral), so I'm hoping it is the throwout bearing (or possible input shaft bearing).

I will be tearing into it in a few weeks... planned to do a spline lube and look at the clutch while I am in there (I did lube the rear splines before the trip). Hoping to get it fixed up quickly so I can ride it some more this summer!

Thanks for reading!

2Back to top Go down   Seattle K-Biker Empty Re: Seattle K-Biker Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:47 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome 91k100rs
glad to see another happy camper.
Try and clean the bottom of the crankcase and all around the rubber boot on the clutch arm, then keep your eye out for a location of the leak.
There are experts here who can point you in the right direction once the culprit area is found. I'm not one of them mate but they have helped me a lot.
RT

3Back to top Go down   Seattle K-Biker Empty Re: Seattle K-Biker Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome to the forum

There is a small rubber tube that goes from the plenum chamber which is the air box above the throttle bodies to the crankcase, if that is leaking air into the plenum chamber then the engine will run rough at idle which causes a knocking and it will leak oil down the cases behind the coils. That is the first place to look.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Seattle K-Biker Empty Re: Seattle K-Biker Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:23 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome 91k100rs

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Seattle K-Biker Empty Re: Seattle K-Biker Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:26 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome from just north of the 49th. I think you're clue is things change when you disengage the clutch FWIW.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

6Back to top Go down   Seattle K-Biker Empty Re: Seattle K-Biker Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:19 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi 91k100rs,
Good to have you on board, hope the problem is an easy fix.
Regards,
K-BIKE

7Back to top Go down   Seattle K-Biker Empty Re: Seattle K-Biker Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:04 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi 91K100rs,

welcome to the forum lets see a pic of your pride and joy.

BIG D

8Back to top Go down   Seattle K-Biker Empty Re: Seattle K-Biker Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:21 pm

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome from the other side of the continent.

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

9Back to top Go down   Seattle K-Biker Empty Re: Seattle K-Biker Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:15 pm

purkolator

Heya,
I'm a new forum member from the Seattle area as well! Woot!

Brad

10Back to top Go down   Seattle K-Biker Empty Re: Seattle K-Biker Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:17 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hiya brad ....welcome aboard

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

11Back to top Go down   Seattle K-Biker Empty Re: Seattle K-Biker Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:36 am

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the board! All these new PNW folks we're going to have to do a ride!?

OG

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum