BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
new to K 100 RS 16 V and going through some electrical chacks. The light on the temperature gauge does not work and the fuel gauge shows either full or nothing. the connectors between the gauges and wiring harness have been cleaned, and are OK. Now I need t look further, and the fuse Box seems to be the logical place.

Left side, by your shin or knee as you sit on the bike, just under the side cover, on the side of the electrical relay box which sits at the back of the petrol tank. But be careful you don't break any plastic side cover lugs by tugging at it too hard. The bulb in the temp gauge may have blown. The fuel level gauge may have a short in it. We here like a product called dEoXiT (not the proper way to write it but you'll have to ask Blakey of the Red Bike) which we use to thoroughly clean ALL of the electrical connections on the motorbike. It works. You would be wise to find some and to go over all of the visible and not so visible electrical connectors, male and female. This will solve very many electrical gremlins. Velkommen to the forum.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
try cleaning recrimping the under tank 4 pole connector ....the fuel guage connector and fuel pump goes through there ...mine was also either full or empty 20 times a hour ...till i fixed that one ....good luck ...and welcome to the forum

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Agerbundsen, try this site at www.caig.com for a place close to where you are, if you want to order some DeoxIT cleaner.

Blakey of the Red Bike.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Guys, Found the fuses. The battery cover panels turned out to be easy to remove and re- attach - once you figured out how theywere fastened - not easy to see. I'll get to the four point connector, and do have contact cleaner and anti water/corrosion spray available locally.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Agerbundsen,
There is nothing that I have found over the years that works as well as DeoxIT that is the only really effective contact cleaner I know. Treat with the cleaner and then with DeoxIT Shield to prevent further corrosion starting in a humid atmosphere. The other tip is to get a replacement set of fuses with the little LED in that makes it easy to spot a blown fuse.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum