BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Weird noises regardless of revs Empty Weird noises regardless of revs Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:04 am

Hi all,

I've just purchased a 1984 (02/1986 compliance plate), which runs like a dream but makes a pile of noise regardless of whether the engine is warm or cold, low revs or whipping down the motorway.

It's honestly hard to tell where the noise is coming from, but if the output shaft rivets have "ovaled" their mounting holes, could a "loose" output shaft make that kind of racket while still leaving the bike able to zip along at 150km/h?

Any suggestions more than welcome.

Cheers, Alex.

2Back to top Go down   Weird noises regardless of revs Empty Re: Weird noises regardless of revs Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:16 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Is the noise engine or road speed related. If thoae rivits are that lose then it won't make that noise for much longer.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Weird noises regardless of revs Empty Re: Weird noises regardless of revs Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:18 am

Life time member
Life time member
Alex - check the exhaust heat shield. I got a very rattly sound yesterday when moving stopped when on the side stand. Eventually found a loose bolt in the heat shield.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

4Back to top Go down   Weird noises regardless of revs Empty Re: Weird noises regardless of revs Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:23 am

K Freak wrote:Is the noise engine or road speed related. If thoae rivits are that lose then it won't make that noise for much longer.

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether it's at idle or under load, in fact I just rode the bike from Sydney to Melbourne, and most of that time I was going full pelt.

5Back to top Go down   Weird noises regardless of revs Empty Re: Weird noises regardless of revs Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:24 am

88KE wrote:Alex - check the exhaust heat shield. I got a very rattly sound yesterday when moving stopped when on the side stand. Eventually found a loose bolt in the heat shield.

I haven't had a chance to go through the bike completely since purchase, that's a Saturday job for me, but I've given her the once over and under, and haven't found anything that looked remotely loose.

6Back to top Go down   Weird noises regardless of revs Empty Re: Weird noises regardless of revs Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:18 am

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
does it change if you give it stick from idle in neutral ?? could be alternator or
try putting it in first put foot on rear brake and release clutch slowly loading up the output shaft does the noise disappear?

7Back to top Go down   Weird noises regardless of revs Empty Re: Weird noises regardless of revs Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:56 am

Toto_jp wrote:does it change if you give it stick from idle in neutral ?? could be alternator or
try putting it in first put foot on rear brake and release clutch slowly loading up the output shaft does the noise disappear?

No change from idle to neutral, and doesn't seem to matter whether cold or hot.

I hadn't thought about the alternator, although the noise does seem more focused around the gearbox/output shaft area, although these bikes to let sound carry all over the place. Any way to test for the alternator in situ?

I'll give the rear brake suggestion a go tomorrow on the way in to work and keep you posted on the results.

8Back to top Go down   Weird noises regardless of revs Empty Re: Weird noises regardless of revs Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:29 am

OK, had a long poke around and can confirm the noise definitely lessens under load. For example, in first gear, as I release the clutch lever, I can hear a hell of a racket, but as I bring the revs up, the din subsides. Output shaft rivets?

9Back to top Go down   Weird noises regardless of revs Empty Re: Weird noises regardless of revs Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:08 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
have a look in pajonk s thread alex towards the bottom it describes the way to check

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t2785-very-lound-rattling-sound-when-reving-at-cold-engine#23901

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Weird noises regardless of revs Empty Re: Weird noises regardless of revs Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:26 pm

charlie99 wrote:have a look in pajonk s thread alex towards the bottom it describes the way to check

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t2785-very-lound-rattling-sound-when-reving-at-cold-engine#23901

Great link, thanks. Based on that discussion I'm willing to bet it's output shaft rivet related, do it looks like the old girl will need to be decommissioned for several weeks for repairs.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum