BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   cooling liquid temperature sensor Empty cooling liquid temperature sensor Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:07 am

pajonk

Silver member
Silver member
hey guys,

I did some research on the temp sensors and found out that my k100lt '89 has a sensor with a different part number than the sensor placed in k1100lt up till '93 even though they look the same.

the real oem tells me that my part number is 61311459197 for $82 whereas the k1100 has 13622242184 for $37.

the second one can be easily substituted with a car sensor for $10 as the same sensor was placed in multiple cars such as lancia, alfa romeo etc.

is there any difference between those two?

cheers!
Pajonk

2Back to top Go down   cooling liquid temperature sensor Empty Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:40 am

pajonk

Silver member
Silver member
ok, found a FAE one for my bike for $12! over 3 times cheaper than on motobins. the original BOSCH one costs $30. if anyone needs one, i can get you one here in poland! Wink

cheers and sorry for the post

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
pajonk wrote:is there any difference between those two?
The one for K100 (Jetronic, analog) is a dual element (1. ECU, 2. fan management), other end of elements connected to ground via coolant stub. Measuring temp. by the difference in resistance to ground.

The one used on K1100 (Motronic, digital) is a single element and not connected to ground.
Both ends of element connected to motronic, measuring the temp. by drop in voltage.

Inge K.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
certainly would not be helpfull paj......

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

pajonk

Silver member
Silver member
thanks Inge! and yeah Charlie, seems like it would be a bad idea to use the k1100 one;)

but as i said, i found the k100 sensor for $12 so i am satisfied.

cheers!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
cool what a win paj....good work buddie !!!

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Inge, any idea on the differences between the early and late K1100 sensors.  The early is the solid one with the green plug and the late one has a short lead with the connector on the end.

What would happen for instance if I were to fit the earlier version to a later engine and Motronic 2.2?  I've done this and the bike is using much more fuel than previously although its idling better than it ever has.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

cooling liquid temperature sensor K-dogs10

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
No, I've never compared them side by side.
But from your experience it seems like the later one have a bit higher resistance.

9Back to top Go down   cooling liquid temperature sensor Empty Coolant temperature sensor Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:55 am

Kafflut

Kafflut
Silver member
Silver member
Inge K. wrote:
pajonk wrote:is there any difference between those two?
The one for K100 (Jetronic, analog) is a dual element (1. ECU, 2. fan management), other end of elements connected to ground via coolant stub. Measuring temp. by the difference in resistance to ground.

The one used on K1100 (Motronic, digital) is a single element and not connected to ground.
Both ends of element connected to motronic, measuring the temp. by drop in voltage.

Inge K.
Hello Inge, pajonk

I measured resistance between my #10 pin (K100 Jetronic) & ground. It is strange, I measure 1.8K momentarily and then the meter shows open circuit. If I lift the prong of my meter, break contact, and then return to contact #10 it again shows 1.8K, but again only momentarily.

It puzzled me. I have another K100. So I repeated the test on that one. The same result, 1.7K momentarily and then open circuit.

I thought, maybe my meter is faulty. So I checked the resistance of the air temperature sensor - resistance between pin #8 & #9 and it's a steady reading.

I unplugged the fuel tank electrics to make sure #9 is not connected to ground via that connection.

Does anyone have an explanation?

http://bmwk100k75.weebly.com/

10Back to top Go down   cooling liquid temperature sensor Empty Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:35 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
AL-58 wrote:Inge, any idea on the differences between the early and late K1100 sensors.  The early is the solid one with the green plug and the late one has a short lead with the connector on the end.

What would happen for instance if I were to fit the earlier version to a later engine and Motronic 2.2?  I've done this and the bike is using much more fuel than previously although its idling better than it ever has.

Al

I should have got back with the result to my problem here. 

I changed the water riser(the sensor thread is different) and sensor back to the later version the motor originally came with.  The fuel economy is now back to what it was previously (between 14-16km/l).  I never measured the sensors to identify the difference but it's all good now.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

cooling liquid temperature sensor K-dogs10

11Back to top Go down   cooling liquid temperature sensor Empty Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:25 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
would be interesting to find out the difference al
I have a feeling that the sensor that fixed the issue will have a different  lower "hot" temperature reading

12Back to top Go down   cooling liquid temperature sensor Empty Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:20 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Kafflut wrote:
I measured resistance between my #10 pin (K100 Jetronic) & ground. It is strange, I measure 1.8K momentarily and then the meter shows open circuit. If I lift the prong of my meter, break contact, and then return to contact #10 it again shows 1.8K, but again only momentarily.

It puzzled me. I have another K100. So I repeated the test on that one. The same result, 1.7K momentarily and then open circuit.

I thought, maybe my meter is faulty. So I checked the resistance of the air temperature sensor - resistance between pin #8 & #9 and it's a steady reading.

I unplugged the fuel tank electrics to make sure #9 is not connected to ground via that connection.

Does anyone have an explanation?
That would normally indicate corrosion between the sensor thread and engine block, but if the other K100 is doing the same it might indicate something else entirely.... OR.... they both have a corrosion problen????

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 cooling liquid temperature sensor Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

13Back to top Go down   cooling liquid temperature sensor Empty Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:39 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would be removing the sensor, cleaning it and then check the measurement again. It is also possible the copper washer is badly oxidized and acting like a diode. Charlie had one some years ago that was acting very strangely until cleaned up.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

14Back to top Go down   cooling liquid temperature sensor Empty Further along the road .... Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:34 am

Kafflut

Kafflut
Silver member
Silver member
It becomes even more confusing. I felt pretty certain that as Rick G and Holister suggested, there is bad contact between the sensor and frame. I removed the sensor from the bike that had no coolant, the "other" one - easiest to do.

The surfaces of the washer were bright shiny Al. Nevertheless I cleaned it thoroughly and sprayed CRC. I measured resistance between contact point 1 & the brass body of the sensor - 1.8K momentarily. I measured the resistance between contact 2 and the brass body of the sensor - 1.8K momentarily.

There's more.

I went back to working on the first bike, the one with coolant. I started it and ran the engine for a minute or two.

I thought, let me check the coolant sensor resistance now. Would you believe 1.1K steady reading!

15Back to top Go down   cooling liquid temperature sensor Empty Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:46 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
What battery is in the meter you are using, it may be that a higher voltage is needed to get a correct reading at low temperatures.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

16Back to top Go down   cooling liquid temperature sensor Empty Re: cooling liquid temperature sensor Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:37 am

Kafflut

Kafflut
Silver member
Silver member
Meter has a 9v battery. I tested the battery - it was okay. I'll replace and post what happens.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum