BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Hard steering to the left K100RS Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
Hello,
I recently purchased a K100 RS (87) as I try to re-live the glory days of my youth. I currently have a brace of 650 singles that serve as regular transport.
Compared to the 650's the K felt (initially) quite heavy.
Now that I have some miles under my belt with the 'K' I find that she is a little heavier going to the left rather than the right. It's a subtle thing that I didn't notice initially, but it's there.
Frame and forks seem fine.
No paint flaking around the neck of the frame - no oil coming from the forks.
I'm going to replace the tyres this weekend as I believe I still have the factory front tyre in place.
The tree has been lowered on the forks and I'm hoping that the malady is nothing more than the triple tree out of alignment. I'm going to slacken axle, fork brace and both upper and lower tree and then tighten the axle first then triple and then brace.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Moto Smith on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

http://www.markaspery.com

2Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Re: Hard steering to the left K100RS Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Is there a 2mm spacer between the rear wheel and rear drive. If it is not there what you describe is what happens, the centre of the wheels is not in line.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Re: Hard steering to the left K100RS Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:22 pm

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
K Freak wrote:Is there a 2mm spacer between the rear wheel and rear drive. If it is not there what you describe is what happens, the centre of the wheels is not in line.
I'll take a look on Saturday and report back - I hadn't though about looking towards the rear of the bike. Thank you K-Freak.
On another note, is there a degree of seepage that is acceptable from the water/oil pump?
I don't have a drip on the floor, but I can see where it's a little oily around the drain hole. Again, no drops or droplets even.
cheers, M

K-freak,
I see the part, #36311451791 SHIM - 2,000MM02
I'll report back.

4Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Re: Hard steering to the left K100RS Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
K Freak wrote:Is there a 2mm spacer between the rear wheel and rear drive. If it is not there what you describe is what happens, the centre of the wheels is not in line.

The spacer is in place. Aside from a very dry tyre, the rear wheel looks fine.
I've got some grease coming to lube the splines while I'm there. Wink

5Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Re: Hard steering to the left K100RS Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:04 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Where there is a small weep of oil coming from the water oil pump i recommend running a small drill held between the fingers up there to ensure there is no grit which has mixed with the oil to semi seal the hole. Just through the side wall is as far as you need to go with a drill just large/small enough to fit.
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Re: Hard steering to the left K100RS Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
K-BIKE wrote:Where there is a small weep of oil coming from the water oil pump i recommend running a small drill held between the fingers up there to ensure there is no grit which has mixed with the oil to semi seal the hole. Just through the side wall is as far as you need to go with a drill just large/small enough to fit.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Got that. The hole is free and clear.
Cheers, M

Last edited by Moto Smith on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

7Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Re: Hard steering to the left K100RS Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
K-BIKE wrote:Where there is a small weep of oil coming from the water oil pump i recommend running a small drill held between the fingers up there to ensure there is no grit which has mixed with the oil to semi seal the hole. Just through the side wall is as far as you need to go with a drill just large/small enough to fit.
Regards,
K-BIKE
It may be a sign of things to come so I would rebuild the pump while it can be done in relative comfort of your own workshop and not when it fails and fills the radiator with oil and the engine with coolant at the most inconvenient time as those things will do.
There are two types of pump and an 87 will most likely have the early type which is identified by a nut on the impeller as to a bolt on the later one. this can be established by removing the plate on the fromt of the pump. The later model can be rebuilt but the earlier type has to be replaced as no parts are available. If that is the case finding a late model pump and rebuilding would be the better option. Maybe the K75 you spoke of will have the right pump.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

8Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Re: Hard steering to the left K100RS Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:28 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
The purpose of clearing the hole is to see how much oil is there if it is only a little dampness then there is probably little to worry about for a while longer. If clearing the hole releases more oil then a pump re-build is on the to-do list.
Regards,
K-BIKE

9Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Re: Hard steering to the left K100RS Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:40 pm

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
Well good news and not unexpected news.

The rear suspension (upper) was connected to the forward oval shaped hole. I moved it back to the rearward round hole.

The yokes of the triple tree were positioned 3/8 down the forks. I moved them back to the top.

The tyres were shot. I replaced both tyres this morning and that little trio said good-bye to the hard steering to the left issue.

A spirited multi-hour ride to prove the handling has left me in the possession of a 2 row radiator $25.

And of-course the not so unexpected news - yup! oil pump replacement is definitely on the cards.

Thus far I am feeling like I am within budget getting the bike on the road in a tourable condition. I may go for a new pump and quell any ghosts of doubt. Will the new pump fit the 87 K100 bike?

The bike is very nice to work on.

Cheers, M

10Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Re: Hard steering to the left K100RS Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The pumps are all interchangeable through to at least 12/93 and I think to the end of production of the K1100.
I went looking for a new one a short while ago and $320AU was the best price I could find. Have a look before you buy and check for the nut or bolt in the center of the impeller as rebuilding is much cheaper. The rebuild kit was about $50AU.

11Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Re: Hard steering to the left K100RS Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:46 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice start moto .....happy riding to you

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

12Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Re: Hard steering to the left K100RS Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:52 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
K Freak wrote:There are two types of pump and an 87 will most likely have the early type which is identified by a nut on the impeller as to a bolt on the later one.

The nut was used on `83 - `85 year models (could be this have changed even before `85, not quite shure). My oldest, an early `86 (03/86) has a bolt.

In my oldest Haynes manual (printed `88, covers `83-`87) an early `86 is dismantled and also shows
a bolt, and reefers in the text to the nut as "used on earlier models".

The factory manual (08/87) shows a bolt, and the different torque values (nut/bolt), but nothing
mentioned when this was changed.

Inge K.

13Back to top Go down   Hard steering to the left K100RS Empty Re: Hard steering to the left K100RS Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
Inge K. wrote:

The nut was used on `83 - `85 year models (could be this have changed even before `85, not quite shure). My oldest, an early `86 (03/86) has a bolt.

In my oldest Haynes manual (printed `88, covers `83-`87) an early `86 is dismantled and also shows
a bolt, and reefers in the text to the nut as "used on earlier models".

The factory manual (08/87) shows a bolt, and the different torque values (nut/bolt), but nothing
mentioned when this was changed.

Inge K.

Thanks for this.

I have some fork boots to put on and a radiator to change - I'll start the service of the oil pump then, when access is good and the fluids are drained.

This isn't my only ride, so I can afford some sit time waiting for parts to come in.

Cheers, M

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum