BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Oil seeping from below Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:51 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Guys

Digging around in the joy that is the underside of an 87K bike Very Happy. While removing the exhaust (that I hasd fantasies of welding up good as new that were a bit short lived...) I noticed a couple of oily areas underneath.

Front one loooks like it's seeping a little from the hole and rear one again from the hole I would think.

Not much coming from either. Do I need to take any action?

Any useful advice gratefully received. One step forward two steps back at the moment....

Best

Dave

Oil seeping from below Oil110
Oil seeping from below Oil210

2Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:05 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
If it were me, I'd clean/degrease the area and go for a ride. Then I'd check to see just how much it is leaking.

From that, I'd gauge how soon I'd have to repair it. A tiny bit of oil can make you think you have a huge problem.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:18 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Blakey, I was planning to clean it all up and repaint before I put everything back together and your suggestion sounds a good idea. There can't be much from the front hole as there's nothing ever in the undertray. Not sure about the back one; I'm probably just getting paranoid What a Face

4Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:44 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
When my R series started to leak a bit i explained to people that i had taught her to speak English !

5Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:44 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Ghost who rides wrote:When my R series started to leak a bit i explained to people that i had taught her to speak English !

You could be right Ghost, that this bike's spent too long around Brit classics! Very Happy

6Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:25 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
My Vincent has been around BM's for too long.......never a drop under it. Oil seeping from below 652573

7Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:11 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Don't forget sidecar that the Vincent is at least half Australian !

8Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:47 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
That oily and dirty mess in the front of the motor might be from a leaking oil pressure switch, which is buried within the debris. A quick clean and a keen eye will confirm whether it is coming from there. Otherwise, it could be leakage from the bottom edge of the timing chain cover.

As for the weep hole on the 'bell housing', mine has a whole shite load of oil surrounding it - but it never drips. So much so that the seam between the casings is discoloured with a slimy grey oily film after a clean and then a long ride.

Time for a lube of all of the splines anyway so I will be sure to have every seal contained within that space at hand before I head in there soon. The clutch is nowhere near slippage though that can happen at any time if it decides to become a gusher at some stage.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

9Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:07 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Guest, that's good info mate, much appreciated. No spline lube due so will keep an eye on it and only venture in if it starts to look bad.
Best
Dave

10Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:12 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
I've cleaned all this up now (but forgot tot ake a photo) and there is a slight weep from the hole in the centre of the shot below (if you view the oil filter cover as a clock it's at 11 o'clock position). Would appreciate a diagnosis of where it's coming from and what, if anything it means. Thanks Very Happy

Oil seeping from below Oil110
[/quote]

11Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:28 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
im afraid oil - water pump seals are on the cards dave ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

12Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:34 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Charlie, darn it! I've read the new seals posts and think a new/or secondhand oil/water pump will have to be bought or stolen or otherwise aquired Very Happy.

Cheers
Dave

13Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:36 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
When I see this picture, it reminds me that I earlier was up to send a post in this thread.....but forgotten (as a lot of other things).

What I earlier did notice, was that "clean" look around the weep hole to the oil/water pump, and that it seems like outcoming oil cleans the area around the hole.

Search Charlie`s thread about overhauling the pump.

Edit: To slow....again....have to blame my english teacher....can`t do in person since....six feet...long time gone.

Last edited by Inge K. on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

14Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:38 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
its not that hard to do mate ...

and won't cost an arm and a leg , just allow yourself a few hours and carefull about the sealant

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t1833p250-85-rt-resto-my-attempt-hey-im-not-into-making-a-show-bike#34154

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

15Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:24 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Inge! I found out recently my English tea who was a bit of a hero was actually about 20 years younger than I am now when he taught my class - bloody hell.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll look at the options but am not sure I have the time, skill or inclination to attempt what Charlie went through!

There is no oil in the waetr - not a sheen in the filler neck nor a trace when I recently drained the cooling system. The seep is also very slow. So is this something that will be OK for a while and gradually deteriorate or suddenly turn catastrophic? I know it's not always easy to predict but I am wondering if I need to do this before a couple of weekend ride-outs this summer or if it can wait until fall?

Thanks
Dave

16Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
MT350Explorer wrote:There is no oil in the waetr - not a sheen in the filler neck nor a trace when I recently drained the cooling system. The seep is also very slow. So is this something that will be OK for a while and gradually deteriorate or suddenly turn catastrophic?
Oil entering the cooling system would only be caused by a blocked pump seep hole or a blown head gasket (quite seldom).

If the leak is just minor, I wouldn`t be in a hurry...just keep an eye on it.

The leak would normaly gradually increase, if it not have a history that it have been stored in a longer amount of time recently.

17Back to top Go down   Oil seeping from below Empty Re: Oil seeping from below Tue May 01, 2012 4:28 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Inge, the bike was stood for a few (maybe 2 or 3) years with a broken shaft (I guess it needs a Corbin seat..... Smile) but had the basics fixed by the last owner who put a couple of thousand miles on it. I'm counting on it being a noce gradual decline! Very Happy

All the Best
Dave

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum