BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Rear suspension unit gaiters Empty Rear suspension unit gaiters Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:13 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
I'll never understand the fashion for unprotected damper rods on bikes that are intended to be used. While sorting through some old photographs today, I came across this picture of the mod that I did about 20 years ago.
The gaiters are cut down BSA Bantam front fork gaiters. Being PVC they last much longer than rubber boots, the solo still has those original ones and I have replaced the ones on the outfit once in that time.
Of course, any gaiter needs a drain/breather hole at the lowest point.
Rear suspension unit gaiters Img_212
Paul.

2Back to top Go down   Rear suspension unit gaiters Empty Re: Rear suspension unit gaiters Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:47 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Good point paul, it is that way it have turned out.... design before function.
Look at the forks, how exposed they are to stone chips.
No one like to drive around on a two wheeled accordion anymore.

Inge K.

3Back to top Go down   Rear suspension unit gaiters Empty Re: Rear suspension unit gaiters Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:28 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Paul,
You have inspired me to just get on and do it, I have been thinking about doing this for a couple of years on this bike. The fact you did it 20 years ago is even more incentive.
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   Rear suspension unit gaiters Empty Re: Rear suspension unit gaiters Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:42 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

That is brilliant paul I did the same on my old Bonny's I also remember they used to sell them back in the 70's 80's I think it was peter furlong products who also made the fully enclosed chain cases.

BIG D

5Back to top Go down   Rear suspension unit gaiters Empty Re: Rear suspension unit gaiters Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:56 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Every bike I have has gaiters on the front fork tubes. I don't dislike the appearance of gaiters. I suppose the rear damper rods are somewhat less exposed to damage, but protecting them too makes perfect sense to me. I thank you for the inspiration Very Happy
Some may laugh, but we all like to personalize our bikes, no?

6Back to top Go down   Rear suspension unit gaiters Empty Re: Rear suspension unit gaiters Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:00 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Very early on I had a front fork seal leak on the solo. I replaced the seal, fitted gaiters and 25 years later the fork tubes are perfect and no oil leaks. Nothing more to say really!
Paul.

7Back to top Go down   Rear suspension unit gaiters Empty Re: Rear suspension unit gaiters Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:04 pm

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
On the rear unit, does the aluminium top screw onto the damper rod? john

8Back to top Go down   Rear suspension unit gaiters Empty Re: Rear suspension unit gaiters Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:37 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Yes John, they are screwed and I think they are fitted with loctite so a bit of heat may be needed to get it undone.

I made a simple clamp to grip the damper rod, by drilling a 12mm hole in a piece of ally plate about 3"x2"x3/8", and then hacksawing the plate in half through the centre of the hole. The plate was then clamped in the vise to grip the damper rod.

Good luck,
Paul

9Back to top Go down   Rear suspension unit gaiters Empty Re: Rear suspension unit gaiters Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:32 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Alternatives are shock socks or similar

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Rear suspension unit gaiters Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: