BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

krome

My 92 rs is running really well, but I noticed that the temp gauge was reading over the top hot all the time. Then fuse #1 was blowing which takes out the fuel gauge. Just now went out and turned it on with a new fuse and very quickly that fuse blew. New fuse and taking the temp gauge out allows the fuse to stay intact. Thing is the diagram doesn't show temp gauge tied to fuse #1. Other thing is this gauge doesn't want to open up. Ideas/experience? Thx. I think the temp gauge is faulty 92 100rs 1106080553

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi krome ....

the temp guage gets its signal from a sensor down on the oil - water pump area , where you will find 2 sensors (one for oil presure the other a temp guage sensor )

the operation is that it starts high in resistance and gets a lower value as it heats up ( i think i measured about 70 -80 odd ohms for about 80 odd degrees c )

which makes me think that there could be a ground short in this cable ....the short wouldnt neccesarily take out the fuse as there is a shunt resistance in the guage itself ....given that the wiring is "standard"

kinda sounds like you have 2 issues which have developed at near the same time ???

i have opened a temperature guage recently ....and found that the mechanism needed repair ...not impossible to do ....but the ecconomics led me another path .

resealing the meter face (glass and surround ) could prove hard to get a good finish without some form of crimping tool if you intend to go digging inside .

have a look here http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t2977-anyone-succesfully-been-inside-a-temp-guage

good luck !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

krome

Took it for a ride with the temp gauge out and Fuse #1 functioned properly. The temp gauge would seem to be pulling a lot of current via #1. From your post, I'm guessing a short in the winding. Will look for a replacement and then open this one up when I have it.

krome

So, I was able to determine that the fan will kick on w/out the gauge being there so I am assuming that the sending unit is good. Any objections?

krome

That is any objections to my diagnosis of the meter as faulty.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
krome wrote:So, I was able to determine that the fan will kick on w/out the gauge being there so I am assuming that the sending unit is good.
The fan and the gauge is getting the signal from two different sensors.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes a s inge said there are infact 2 different senders... the system sensor at the water stub ...behind the radiator ......and the guage sender down on the water pump ......could you have a faulty wire to the sender ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
krome wrote:That is any objections to my diagnosis of the meter as faulty.
If your #1 fuse still is blowing, it seems like you need a new gauge.
Have you checked the last part of the wiring before the gauge?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum