BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Empty Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Sat May 05, 2012 9:27 pm

MLR

Although I've never had an overheating problem with my K75RT I've noticed that there is a lot of blockage in my radiator because of impacted bugs. With some time on my hands I started to poke through the radiator with a nylon slip tie with a fair amount of success but it's too time consuming.

I always give the rad a good spray with the hose when I'm washing the bike but it's not effective in getting the deeply impacted ones out. Any tips on getting these gaffers out of there?

2Back to top Go down   Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Empty Re: Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Sun May 06, 2012 3:18 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
we get lots of bugs out here mlr .....we have a product called tar and bug remover ...which works well on all sorts of mashed pests on vehicle bonnets etc ....i wonder if it could help loosen off , as you say "deeply impacted ones " maybe with a paint brush for application and let disolve then spray off ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Empty Re: Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Sun May 06, 2012 5:48 am

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
A vaccum cleaner might do the trick. First with a brush attachment, then the last few without the brush.

4Back to top Go down   Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Empty Re: Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Sun May 06, 2012 5:51 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Compressed air from the rearside of the radiator is an effective metod.

5Back to top Go down   Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Empty Re: Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Sun May 06, 2012 10:07 pm

MLR

charlie 99

Agerbundsen

Inge K.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I jerry rigged up a line from a portable air tank but found that with the radiator mounted on the bike there's just not enough room for easy access from the back. I had tried a vacuum cleaner on it but no go with the bugs stuck deep in between the cooling fins. They wouldn't budge. But .... I took the head off my shop vac and used the blower attachment and flooded the back of the rad with a good blast of air. You should have heard the cooling fan when it was hit with the blast. Sounded like a jet engine spooling up! Anyways it knocked a lot of the offending critters out of there and I'm fairly happy with the results. I will put some of that tar and bug remover in a spray bottle and give it a shot of it before giving it a good spray of water from the garden hose.

I'm kind of sad though. Some of those bugs have been with me (the bike actually) for over 20 years. Don't you find, in a perverse sort of way, a sentimental attachment to those sort of things?

6Back to top Go down   Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Empty Re: Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
not at all ......giggle ....theres more where they came from ...and many a time i have had the dreded bug in eye .......call it revenge ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Empty Re: Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Mon May 07, 2012 12:19 am

Agerbundsen

Agerbundsen
Silver member
Silver member
You could just give the a decent burial:)

8Back to top Go down   Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Empty Re: Cleaning Insects Out of Radiator Mon May 07, 2012 12:23 am

MLR

I can't! They're spread all over my basement !!!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum