BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Two Wheels Better

Most Aussies have driven the Newell Highway from Tocumwal, Victoria outback through central New South Wales and over the border into Queensland to Goondiwindi. It drones on an on and there's not a lot to see right up close. Vast acres of emptiness, grazing land, crops, and gum trees as far as the eye can see. There are low, scrubby and rocky hills off in the distance, a few interesting signs to read, lotsa cattle and sheep, and plenty of heavy trucks, but not-quite road trains (they don't allow the really long, three and four car trucks this close to civilisation).

Here and there it's interesting. The towns are colourful and the main streets have plenty of thriving shops and cafes. Most of them are places where I could settle, with a river and parks and nice neighbourhoods full of rows of neat houses in the Australian early to mid-20th century style - most towns, but not all. Some are dried up, dust bowl, dead grass, stink of cattle, dregsvilles. But some are quite lovely. I s'pose it has a bit to do with the quality of the soil, the interest and pride one shows in their town and other socio-economic factors. The Dubbo to Gilgandrah to Coonabarabran (say Koona-barra-bran) to Narrabri (say Narra-bry) stretch is like that, so much so that I had to divert and pass through the Warrumbungles National Park, which eventually empties out at the quiet little astronomy hub of Coonabarabran. There's heaps of observatories up there due to the clear nights of the billion star hotel. It was nice, empty, scenic, twisty, but not spectacular road, though I took some photos (which I'll post after a shower and a well-deserved beer). I'm stopped for the night as the rains have set in, at first lightly but now it's a drizzle that's got the dust running down the sides of everything.

But there's a road that runs away from Narrabri that'll have me heading back this way soon.

Go to www.maps.google.com.au and under ' Get Directions' type in Narrabri NSW to Bingara NSW. Just north and east of Narrabri you'll see a little-known road that runs up round Mt Kaputar through the national park and over Killarney Pass (those Irish were everywhere!). It's over 110 kms of pure motorbike heaven. I saw several cars, but had to overtake none of them as they were coming the other way, and followed a snaking road that crested and dipped and turned and climbed and went through a dozen or so water crossings (mainly dry). It was blissful. Lots of goats graze up there, the grass seemed drier than the surrounding farmlands, a river ran next to the road for a while with a fair bit of running water in it - this in a very dry country, usually. The rocky peaks are evidence of long-ago volcanic activity, and I spotted a sign that hinted at glacial action along the mountain range too. It's hard to imagine the remote and dry Australian continent ever having been subjected to a mass of ice but long ago it did. I had time to look around, but mainly I was head down, bum up, feet back and going for it on an amazing ribbon of road. Here and there were cracks in the tarmac, a bit of roadwork going on, a few potholes, but mainly it was a smooth and undulating road that climbed up and over the low range.

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2927
"How do they get the 'Roos to cross near the yellow signs?"

I managed a few good speed runs along some two or three kilometre, smooth straights. At one stage I went for it and tucked in behind the screen, elbows in and saw 9300 rpm (no rev limiter on this mighty K) and the speedo needle steadily settling in on 245 km/h! That's 152 mph in the old money and I reckon there must be a tad of error in the dial. But what a rush, it's never gone that fast before and it wasn't aided in any way by a downhill decline. It has been running really well on this trip. There's nothing like a good roadtrip to blow out the dulling daily drone of commuter cobwebs in both man and machine!

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2928
The twisties go on forever.

At the end of the road is the quaint and tidy little bush town of Bingara, a name I'd never heard of nor seen on the map prior to this ride homewards. I'm glad I stopped. I can see the potential for this particular hotel because they have a clean place here with lots of rooms, some ensuite, and an attached motel. Rooms range from $35 to $65 to $85 per night. I lashed and and got myself into an ensuite. The 'shared facilities' of last night's room in West Wyalong put me off that idea for a while. Pictures after beer and dinner. Cheers!

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2926
The Imperial Hotel. Bingara, New South Wales. Cold drinks, bike parking out the back, clean rooms, good tucker.

Last edited by Guest in the House on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:57 pm; edited 4 times in total

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Awesome entry. Go get a beers
And as my little bit of input and adding to your miles of not a lot out here, apparently you can see 10% of NSW from the top of Mt Kaputar. That's a lot of land in anyones language. Looking forward to the pics.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Ah Bingara what a bueat little town. If you have the time detour past the Copeton dam wall and the lake itself.
It has never been full mainly due to its size and the 10 years of drought that the country had up till January 2011. BTW the road is a nice twisty one from Bingara to the dam and on to Inverell.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Would you believe Copeton is 98% full right now? Last time I went for a ride that way with Anna we stopped at the top of the main wall and we could see cattle grazing at the bottom.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice ...i had looked at the mountain ...verry obvious from the air on the aproach to narrabri ...good trip dazza ...

nothing to mention but has been a little warmer last couple of nights on the coast here ... with spasmodic 1/2 hour rain sessions ....took a trip the back way through esk ..from woodford on wednesday and it seems that the rain is quite unpredictable but in narrow strips mate ...so you might get lucky ....a warming stew and classic oven cooked bread and cheese is a welcome relief tonight ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
To celebrate the discovery, to me at least, of yet another fine road, as well as a motorbike shortcut from the fertile plains to the heart of New England, I am in the process of sinking a coupla schooners of Tooheys Old at the Imperial, a bustling joint in the main street. The dark nectar is a warm up as I wait for dinner of salmon, veg and potatoes au gratin. A healthy repast at the end of a fine day of travel.

Last edited by Guest in the House on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
rossco wrote:Awesome entry. Go get a beers
And as my little bit of input and adding to your miles of not a lot out here, apparently you can see 10% of NSW from the top of Mt Kaputar. That's a lot of land in anyones language. Looking forward to the pics.
It's quite amazing that Mt Kaputar, we went up up the camping ground there a few years ago and were very suprised to see snow gums till we realized it was over 1500metres and right in the middle of the north west plains, one of the hottest places in NSW.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I've added some photos to the previous post I submitted upon landing in Bingara before drinks and dinner this arvo. Here are some more, in chronological order. I'll do my best to describe where each one is. Enjoy.

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2929
Abandoned house and shed at dawn. Miners' Rest, Victoria.

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2930
Typical last-century Australian architecture. This town was used as a set for the film Salem's Lot starring Rob Lowe and Donald Sutherland. Apparently Sutherland raved about Aussie steaks whilst filming Down Under. Creswick, Victoria

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2931
The Dish....Parkes, NSW. Click on the link if you're not from OZ or familiar with the film...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205873/

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2932
Iwo Jima cactus. Near Tooraweenah, NSW.

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2936
Along the road to the Warrumbungles. Near Tooraweenah, NSW.

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2933
Roads to moto heaven. Near Mt Kaputar, NSW.

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2934
More roads to moto heaven. Killarney Pass, near Mt Kaputar, NSW.

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2935
Bingara Post Office building. Bingara, NSW.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Rick G wrote:Ah Bingara what a beaut little town. If you have the time detour past the Copeton dam wall and the lake itself.
It has never been full mainly due to its size and the 10 years of drought that the country had up till January 2011. BTW the road is a nice twisty one from Bingara to the dam and on to Inverell.

Saxon7 wrote:Would you believe Copeton is 98% full right now? Last
time I went for a ride that way with Anna we stopped at the top of the
main wall and we could see cattle grazing at the bottom.

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2939
As you can see in this view of the post office building from my room, the day has started out as expected.

The rains came last night, but this morning it's just grey skies and a wet road, no showers at present. I'll be donning my wet weather gear anyway. Yes, the dam is along the way and I'm gunna stop and have a squiz. Google maps suggests I return to the Brissy area by going north to Warialda, Coolatai, Yetman and Texas, but that means I'd miss some really good bendy bits of tarmac, including the dam. The Bingara road past Copeton and through Gum Flat looks the biz!

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Gith,

If you continue to show us all the good things about Australia, soon it will be an influx of 1,500 immigrant riders.
I can say that you Aussies have a certain sense of humo(u)or... Here is a trailer of the movie 'The Dish'
Thanks for sharing.

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Mate your blog makes me just want to pack it all in, put the missus on the pillion seat and head off into the sunset(if it wasn't raining i could see the sun)

Hope your return part of the journey is a safe one. Been pretty wet up here for a couple of days now.
The worst part of a trip like this is having to stop. I say just keep on riding past Brisvegas and go round the country until you get back to where you started. Now that would be a road trip.

Anyhow keep up the great scribblings and pics.
Hey CF you lot are welcome anytime, the more K riders in the land of OZ the better.
I think GITH has done our GREAT country a service by showing us all here how lucky we are to live here and just how much more there is to see in our own backyard.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 170874

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
caferacer62 wrote:
I think GITH has done our GREAT country a service by showing us all here how lucky we are to live here and just how much more there is to see in our own backyard.

This is so true. People always dream about new horizons, but a lot of them don`t know their own backyard or neighbors.
This is why we are a bit different. We ride and discover. Most of all want to discover the country sides AND the people living there.

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Bert, well said. I so enjoy this story, seeing it (literary!!) developing and meantime thinking about my own travels. Must admit that, although beautiful rides are possible here I do get a tiny little bit jealous (what an understatement!!).

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I for one wouldn't mind if good folks like you decided to give OZ a go. It is a truly unique place to live, has mainly fine, sunny weather, a diverse population thanks to the elimination of the 'White's Only' immigration policy that quietly died a death and ended in the mid-'70s. We've managed to mostly avoid the dreaded GFC too, and except for overpriced housing prices we are rolling along just fine, as we do, thank you very much. Come over even just for a holiday and a ride....I know a few good places.

Thanks for dragging that one up, CF. It's been a while since I've watched that clever little film, which, BTW, is not great art, just a bit of fun and poking a stick at things some people hold sacred. As you ride into the area round The Dish, which is several kilometres from the Newell highway, you are surrounded by many acres of paddocks full of grazing sheep and the odd farm house or two. An old man out the front of his modest home, raking his Autumn leaves, looked up at me as I passed and gave me a smile and a wave, which I returned.

Here's the YouTube clip which shows the Toe Cutter MC in the middle of Clunes....since it's dubbed in French perhaps you can translate, CF!

These are the roads I've just ridden last week. Enjoy the motorbike scenes!

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
At 18:40PM, in full darkness for nearly and hour and a half, on a rainy Saturday night the Mighty Red K touched down in the driveway after a nine hour, 700+ km ride from Bingara NSW. The last stint in the saddle was an easy 295 kms non-stop. It rained on and off for most of the day. The worst of it started at the bottom of Cunningham's Gap and continued through Ipswich and on into Brisbane - I rode home with my dark visor on still as I didn't want to stop. The rain stopped a few miles from home, then when I was in the door and stripping off my wet weather gear (but underneath was dry), the heavens truly opened up. It's pouring now. I'm home. I'm dry. I'm not saddle sore. I had a great ride. But the best thing of all was that whatever I threw at the bike in terms of rough roads, high constant speeds, twisting, winding tarmac, blind corners, hard braking, bottomed suspension, and short post-redline runs, she didn't use a drop of oil, returned reasonable fuel mileage of <20 kms per litre of PULP, and she never failed me (Unless I count the saddlebag mount and a broken hinge - but I carry spares)!

After I perform a full service (dirty oil, some dash globes have failed, and a noisily buzzing fuel pump), where are we going to next?

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Great news GITH. Glad to hear all is still right with your world. Enjoy the rest.

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome back home mate !!!

get a good rest , im guessing a ride up northside tommorrow ?!!!

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
A procession of riders arrived on various bikes from fat tyred M109 Suzukis to loaded down ST1300s to sleek Ninjas to muddy BMW GSs, and queued up near the bakery. Bingara is obviously a weekend motorbike destination, even in the rain. In the daylight the main street, with its classic architecture and wide street with gardens down the median strip, looks pretty good, and after my pleasant night in the pub talking to locals and tourists (like me) alike and sinking a few bombs of Tooheys Old I'd go back any time. I had a very clean room with a hot shower, a good meal, a decent brekky (great coffee!) for a fair price, and met some interesting people as well. I'd call it a good night.

I left town in light rain at about ten AM and it wasn't long before I'd missed the turn off towards Copeton Dam. The signage was crap. No matter, I thought, I can roll south towards Barraba double back a few kms and turn left into the road to Bundarra. After about fifty kilometres of narrow, beautiful, sweeping tarmac punctuated by cattle grates and the occasional slow-driving farmer in the old 4WD Land Cruiser loaded down with hay....the road turned to gravel.....don't believe what the sign say......
Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2940
I soldiered on. For fifty kilometres. The new Contis handled the loose gravel, slick red clay, and mounds of sands with aplomb. I'm really liking these new skins but I can see already, after 6500 kilometres of use (feck, already!?) the tyres are beginning to flatten off a smidge in the middle, the hard compound bit...tee hee, marketing.

The grey skies and light but steady rain cast a curious pall that hung over the dry landscape like a gloomy play's final curtain. The images capture a sense of it, but the wide off intensity is something best seen with one's own eyes. It's an amazing part of the world, and every day people lead thriving lives out there in what could be considered by most a very remote place. But it's just a half day's motorbike ride away from so-called civilisation. Here's a few looks anyway. It was truly stunning.
Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2941
Adam's Lookout. This bloke, Augustus A Adams, 1814 - 1906, an early white settler, made his mark in the valley with cattle and crops. His grandson placed a marker at the top of this lone hill overlooking a wide valley in 1975. I was thinking a house up there on that hill with a big wide deck and my feet up with a big glass of red and a fire burning when it is cool.....
Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2942

Those roads, the small, tidy towns, the welcoming people, all are calling me back there. I'm now over 500 kms away as the budgie flies, and thinking about visiting the region again.
Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Dscf2943

Last edited by Guest in the House on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:33 am; edited 2 times in total

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
Great ride GITH.
Thanks for taking us along.

Cheers,

04/86 K100 VIN 0009479 Columbia Silver

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
dee why wrote:Great ride GITH.
Thanks for taking us along.
Cheers,

No, Dee Why, thanks to you I managed to get my kit home in one piece! I posted the damaged Z frame home to myself from Clunes (a note from the postie stuck to my door announced its arrival) and while riding along today had a vision of sorts as to how to modify them both sufficiently using bent, mild steel bits at the critical points. The fact of the matter is that we regularly overload them and although they have served many for millions they aren't the most robust bits on the bike. My mind's whirring. Pictures to follow.

Life time member
Life time member
An epic tale GITH. I love the blog and the pics bring it all to life for me over 12000 miles away. Placenames have always fascinated me and what I really like about the antipodes is that the early settlers adopted the native place names, unlike here in Erin where they tried to Anglicise almost every name but that's a subject for another thread or forum even. Enjoy the rest dude!

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

122Back to top Go down   Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Empty Re: Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:22 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I'll put this out there....if anyone of the K brethren want to fly over to OZ on holidays (best time of the year in most parts of the southern half, generally, is October through May - gives you time to plan it a bit), then there is a comfortable place to stay and I will assist with a bike to ride. No secret handshake required and I'm sure my fellow Aussie K bike mates will help get you into the Aussie rhythm in no time. There's heaps to see and do and as Club C from Canada, and others, can attest it is a fine place to ride...but give yourself a week, or if possible, at least two, three weeks, maybe longer. I am willing to help with local lodging right here in the middle of some amazing riding areas. Go for it. Stick yer neck out. Live a little. Life is short. Walk the ragged edge. You don't know that you actually have wings until you feel the lift under them. And you don't have to spend a lot of dosh. We are here to help you experience what we have on offer. Hands up who can help. But more importantly, hands up who wants to take us up on it. Just spreading the love.

123Back to top Go down   Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 Empty Great Ride Report Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:49 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
As always GITH that was a great story full of all the little pieces of information we miss when flying past these towns because we are in our tin boxes on the main roads. Wonderful writing about the things we can only see if we move off the day to day path!
Regards,
K-BIKE

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
stunning travellog again gith ...lots of farmilliar names in the new england mentioned olmate

im getting the urge

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
charlie99 wrote:welcome back home mate !!!
get a good rest, im guessing a ride up northside tommorrow ?!!!

Tucked up in bed still...7AM...It's great to be home. It's pissing with rain out there still and looks to do that for the day. Just me and the puppy here at the mo'. Dunno if I'll be going out into it again today but if you feel like it gimme a bell and we'll see when the rest get here later on.
Cheers.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
K-BIKE wrote:As always GITH that was a great story full of all the little pieces of information we miss when flying past these towns because we are in our tin boxes on the main roads. Wonderful writing about the things we can only see if we move off the day to day path!
Regards,
K-BIKE

I'm very glad you and others enjoyed the read, K-Bike. I like to read and I like to ride, so writing about it falls along the same lines. This forum is a perfect venue for its members to do the same and I always follow eagerly when someone posts up about their own trip. Cheers all. Here's to many happy miles of riding!

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
So whats next GITH ...more travels???

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Queensland to Victoria & Return Trip - Page 3 170874

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum: