BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Locating engine oil leak Empty Locating engine oil leak Sun May 27, 2012 4:33 am

giles4060

giles4060
Silver member
Silver member
New week new issue.

Since sorting the electrical fault I have been riding more. Happy. Now noticed the loss of about 400ml of engine oil over 1000miles. On closer insepction seem to have a leak from the area where the shaft enters the engine. Its hard to see but looks like its originating from above the shaft. Any ideas.....(ideally some nice and simply....perahps an hour or two labour with a cold beer!?!?!?)

2Back to top Go down   Locating engine oil leak Empty Re: Locating engine oil leak Sun May 27, 2012 4:42 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
giles4060 wrote:New week new issue.

Since sorting the electrical fault I have been riding more. Happy. Now noticed the loss of about 400ml of engine oil over 1000miles. On closer insepction seem to have a leak from the area where the shaft enters the engine. Its hard to see but looks like its originating from above the shaft. Any ideas.....(ideally some nice and simply....perahps an hour or two labour with a cold beer!?!?!?)

Did you notice the oil around a hole between engine and tranny on underside?

3Back to top Go down   Locating engine oil leak Empty Re: Locating engine oil leak Sun May 27, 2012 4:52 am

giles4060

giles4060
Silver member
Silver member
nino wrote:
giles4060 wrote:New week new issue.

Did you notice the oil around a hole between engine and tranny on underside?

To be honest it was all a bit caked. Have now cleaned it all with a engine degreaser so will check this when i run it again.

4Back to top Go down   Locating engine oil leak Empty Re: Locating engine oil leak Sun May 27, 2012 1:03 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
So how did you determine you had a leak and where it was?

If you filled the sump above center dot in the sight-glass quite often it will burn the oil off until it reaches mid-level.

Do tell us more Very Happy

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Locating engine oil leak Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

5Back to top Go down   Locating engine oil leak Empty Re: Locating engine oil leak Sun May 27, 2012 3:17 pm

giles4060

giles4060
Silver member
Silver member
ReneZ wrote:So how did you determine you had a leak and where it was?

If you filled the sump above center dot in the sight-glass quite often it will burn the oil off until it reaches mid-level.

Do tell us more Very Happy

Leak initially because of having to top up oil. Then on closer inspection fresh oil was collecting at the top at the engine end of the shaft control rod. It's difficult to see beyond this without srtipping bits off. There is also a small leak coming from the oil tray but will sought this out on next change. Loss of oil is likely to be an accumilation from both sites? There is no oil on my garage floor and both gear and shaft oil has not dropped. Now the engine is cleaner, well cleaner, I will have a look for fresh oil tomorrow on my commute.

Interesting about burning of oil until it reaches the right level. However on this occasion oil has now drop below the dot on the sight-glass.

6Back to top Go down   Locating engine oil leak Empty Re: Locating engine oil leak Mon May 28, 2012 1:14 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
OK, what do you mean with 'shaft control rod'?

If there are oil leaks it normally is in three places:

- from the oil seal in the combined oil/water pump. It should then leak from the little hole at the front of the engine, about midway (that's a channel from a recess in the pump between the water and oil seals.

- from the output shaft seal or from the gearbox input shaft seal (or from seal around clutch push rod). Leakage normally shows at the hole in the cente part between engine and gearbox. Potentially resulting in a slipping clutch.

- from the gearbox output shaft seal or the final drive input shaft seal. Oil will collect in the final drive shaft tunnel, which you won't notice unless the ballow rubber between gearbox and tunnel is gone.

Others - leak from clutch operating boot at the rear of the gearbox, leak from gearbox breather, leak from FD breather, leak from crankshaft at hall sensors (you can't see that).

Can you show on a drawing (realoem.com) or picture where its at?

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Locating engine oil leak Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

7Back to top Go down   Locating engine oil leak Empty Re: Locating engine oil leak Mon May 28, 2012 4:16 pm

giles4060

giles4060
Silver member
Silver member
ReneZ wrote:OK, what do you mean with 'shaft control rod'?

If there are oil leaks it normally is in three places:

- from the oil seal in the combined oil/water pump. It should then leak from the little hole at the front of the engine, about midway (that's a channel from a recess in the pump between the water and oil seals.

- from the output shaft seal or from the gearbox input shaft seal (or from seal around clutch push rod). Leakage normally shows at the hole in the cente part between engine and gearbox. Potentially resulting in a slipping clutch.

- from the gearbox output shaft seal or the final drive input shaft seal. Oil will collect in the final drive shaft tunnel, which you won't notice unless the ballow rubber between gearbox and tunnel is gone.

Others - leak from clutch operating boot at the rear of the gearbox, leak from gearbox breather, leak from FD breather, leak from crankshaft at hall sensors (you can't see that).

Can you show on a drawing (realoem.com) or picture where its at?

Hi Rene

Sorry for not being clear. By shaft control rod I meant the strut that sits below the main shaft drive. Clymer call it a control rod. However now the engine is clean I can see the oil around the small hole mid engine so the second of your possibility seems likely. I asume this is the whole back end off? From experience is this likely to turn catastrophic or is topping up going to be ok until I have the time?

8Back to top Go down   Locating engine oil leak Empty Re: Locating engine oil leak Mon May 28, 2012 4:51 pm

giles4060

giles4060
Silver member
Silver member
Does also seem to be quite oily around the the clutch operating boot and above on the rubber boot where the drive shaft enters the gear box.

mmmm...was hoping the next job would be prepping for a respray.......

9Back to top Go down   Locating engine oil leak Empty Re: Locating engine oil leak Mon May 28, 2012 5:47 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Both of my K's leak oil into the clutch operating lever rubber boot. If it gets too full and drips, I just remove the clip, drain off the oil and it's alright again for another couple of years.

Paul.

10Back to top Go down   Locating engine oil leak Empty Re: Locating engine oil leak Mon May 28, 2012 6:29 pm

giles4060

giles4060
Silver member
Silver member
sidecar paul wrote:Both of my K's leak oil into the clutch operating lever rubber boot. If it gets too full and drips, I just remove the clip, drain off the oil and it's alright again for another couple of years.

Paul.

I do like white K's (my respray colour of choice). Not clear on the source of the leak or its path of travel to the hole on the underside of engine. Either way i do 510miles a week so topping up will become costlier than repairing the problem (unless its the output shaft then I am quite willing to treat it as a non return system).

I am assuming that the oil gathering in the clutch operating boot originates from the push rod seal? Then the oil around the final drive boot would be from the gearbox output shaft seal? Going to bed with the Clymer manual.

On the up side no elctrical faults for 1000miles!

Thanks for all your help chaps. Learning loads about Ks.

11Back to top Go down   Locating engine oil leak Empty Re: Locating engine oil leak Mon May 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
giles4060 wrote:I am assuming that the oil gathering in the clutch operating boot originates from the push rod seal?
It`s quite normal that it`s oil in the boot, since it`s open space into the gearbox behind the pushrod piston (the oil also lubricates the throw out bearing).

The task to the pushrod seal is to avoid the oil entering the clutch via the pushrod.

If the boot is leaking it`s torn, or old and dry, or the clutch isn`t correctly adjusted.

Locating engine oil leak Klatsj11

12Back to top Go down   Locating engine oil leak Empty Re: Locating engine oil leak Mon May 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Find out if the oil is from the gearbox or engine just smell it and then smell the gearbox oil via some oil taken from the filler hole. It is a very distinct smell.
If it is from the gearbox then the oil will get onto the clutch and cause slipping.
If engine oil is escaping from the rear main seal it may get on the clutch but if it is leaking due to a cracked and broken O ring with all the usual problems it will get on the clutch.
The best solution is to repair whatever is causing the problem as it will get worse and still have to be fixed.
Prepare to do it ASAP but while it is not urgent and causing a no ride situation.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum