BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Life time member
Life time member
I have been following Crazy Frog's pictures for the k100 bracket modification to accomodate the screen wormdrive casings but one of the drives is fouling the left fairing mount. the only solution seems to be to let the bracket run between the worm drives. I know this is going to be more difficult when the frame is fixed to the bike. the drive casing is really strong and wont allow me to bend it out of the way but it looks like it is not on its original path.

Left side....

k100 electric screen fitting advice please Img_0615

right side - neat fit, very little needed to be removed....

k100 electric screen fitting advice please Img_0616

sorry for the small pics but I'm having trouble uploading the bigger ones.

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The cable guides must be fixed with screws at the end, or the mechanism won`t be balanced.
And you would get a uneven lift, then posibbly a stuck mechanism.....burned motor.

k100 electric screen fitting advice please Grafik10

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
You've almost got it, 88KE. I would not recommend bending the guide mechanism to avoid the fairing spider. All that is required is to grind off more of the support bracket to ensure clearance. Grind the left side away up to where the metal of the spider arm bends at 120 degrees. Also grind a little further down than you have done so far -- possibly another 1-2 cm. That should provide the clearance needed. If you have sufficient clearance on the right side, leave it be. However, in my case, I ground away both sides equally seeing as I was not familiar with the exact quantity of metal I should have removed when I first did this modification. I followed Crazy Frog's lead in his writeup.

EDIT: I'm looking closely at the photos you provided and something doesn't look right. I don't like seeing those corrogated cable guides, especially the right hand side with that loop. Have you tested this mechanism on the bench yet? Does it work smoothly in its current form?

Life time member
Life time member
[quote="robmack"]You've almost got it, 88KE. I would not recommend bending the guide mechanism to avoid the fairing spider. All that is required is to grind off more of the support bracket to ensure clearance. Grind the left side away up to where the metal of the spider arm bends at 120 degrees. Also grind a little further down than you have done so far -- possibly another 1-2 cm. That should provide the clearance needed.quote]

I was trying to avoid grinding too close to the angle so as not to weaked the bracket too much - maybe a bit more eh?.

The screen is not quite even as it sits, maybe .75cm higher on the left. I figure those corrugations should be in the plate above them. I'll have another go in the morning.

I havent tested it yet. I was hoping to mount it and come back to the wiring, which I haven't quite got my head around. I'm ok with the up and down relay functions but I have to figure out the micro switches yet. I know I have a window switch similar to the one you used somewhere but I cant locate it either . I recon if I can mount it I can could ride as is - it should be ok for me height wise until I can figure the wiring.

thanks for the help.

Last edited by 88KE on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K75RTP - 1994

Life time member
Life time member
Missed your post Inge before responding to Robmacks. Brain fade or maybe this Bourbon I've treated myself to is working faster than I thought:lol:

Thanks for the diagram theres a little p clip at the end of the pipe which is not connected - I reckon thats the reason for the imbalance in the screen. I shall have to peer into it for longer and see if I can figure out where it has been let go from.

Last edited by 88KE on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

K75RTP - 1994

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Windscreen wiring

BTW. it should be a P-clip to each cable guide, which should be fixed.

k100 electric screen fitting advice please Braket10

Last edited by Inge K. on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Life time member
Life time member
Yep inge - one is adrift thats the cause of the problems I think. I will strip and square the mechanism and secure it then I'll have to bench test the movement.

k100 electric screen fitting advice please 22936

K75RTP - 1994

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Don't fool around physically with the microswitches - that is to say, alter their position relative to the cam. They are set at the factory to ensure the motor rotation stops before the sliders encounter the physical end of the guide rod. If you upset that adjustment, you are in for a world of pain getting it right again (much like altering the butterfly linkage screws on a throttlebody assembly).

The electrical operation is really straight forward (at least for me it is).

k100 electric screen fitting advice please K1100LT%2520Electric%2520windshield%2520control%2520wiring

The circuit has two logical parts -- the lift/lower relay control logic and the motor control logic.

First the lift/lower relay control logic description. Battery power is fed to the center of the Window adjust switch (L/Y) and each side of that switch goes to one side of the coil of each relay. The other side of the relay coil goes to ground through a given microswitch. Let's say the operator presses the window adjust switch for UP motion. Current will flow through the switch to the lift realy coil, through the Up (micro)switch to ground. The lift realy coil is energized and the windshield moves (we'll get to that description in a minute). When the cam on the motor encounters the limit, the Up microswitch opens, breaking the circuit and the relay coil de-energizes and the motor stops. The exact same operation happens if the Window adjust switch is pressed for DOWN motion. A consequence of the cam design is that at no time are both microswitches open -- there are always at least one switch closed, making contact.

Second the motor control logic. Battery power is wired to the N/O (pin 87) of each relay through the R/L wire and ground is wired to the N/C (pin 87A) of each relay through the Br wire. The common contact (pin 30) on each relay is wired to one or the other side of the motor (Gr and L wires). In a rest state, each side of the motor is grounded and remains so unless the button is pressed. Let's say the operator pushes the Window Adjust switch for UP motion -- the Lift relay energizes and the relay contact switches battery power to the Gr wire. The power travels through the motor windings through the Lower relay to ground. The motor rotates. When the button is released or the micro switch limit encountered, power is cut to the relay, the contacts drop and power is cut to the motor. Now, if the operator presses the Window Adjust switch for DOWN motion, the Lower relay is energized and power travels through the L wire, through the lift relay to ground. the motor reverses direction because the direction of the current flow is reversed. The windshield lowers until the switch is released or the limit encountered.

This description will help to debug wiring problems. For example, to bench test the windshield, apply power directly to the motor in different polarities to see that the motor is functional. Understanding the operation will lead you to understand that at no time can both switches be open; only one is open at any one time when a limit is encountered or both are closed during travel.

Last edited by robmack on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Here's a handlebar switch for you. Just need to change the plug to suit K100

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Life time member
Life time member
Fantastic description Robmack. Thats cleared up my understanding & I feel more confident tackling the wiring now. Wow!

K75RTP - 1994

Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:Here's a handlebar switch for you. Just need to change the plug to suit K100

Can't see a link Rick Shocked

K75RTP - 1994

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
88KE wrote:Fantastic description Robmack.
+1........should be placed in the how to section.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
88KE wrote:
Rick G wrote:Here's a handlebar switch for you. Just need to change the plug to suit K100

Can't see a link Rick Shocked

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-BMW-K1100LT-Left-Hand-Combo-Switch-w-Power-Screen-/360464120251?hash=item53ed55f9bb&item=360464120251&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Hmmm Must be the banana wine Sorry about that

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I added the circuit operation descriptijon to the thread that Crazy Frog started about adding the K1100 windshield to the K-bike.

That switch seems expensive at its Buy Now price. Frankenduck sells these same switches on www.kbikeparts.com for less. Search his page for part number 61312305231.

Last edited by robmack on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : From future tense to present tense)

Life time member
Life time member
I made a bit of progress today. The mechanism was stuck so I freed that and was then able to reseat the cable guides and worm and reattach the hard pipes with the P clips and modifying the bracket to fit.

The question is why was it stuck? I didn't get as far as making a test loom to see if the motor works but will progress that during the week. Hope the PO wasn't blatently dishonest, he assured me the screen was working when removed from his bike!

88KE

Last edited by 88KE on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)

K75RTP - 1994

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum